Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 14:54   #31

pirate Re: Complete Life Change

Life moves at an unbelievable rate and I applaud you on your 'life change' get the right boat and everything else will work out great. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2013, 13:52   #32

Re: Complete Life Change

Sounds awesome. I am a 19yr old with a basic Bareboat Cruising license. Looking to help aboard a sailboat for a few months.
Let me know if you need a skipper!
-Elizabeth Ferrao
Old 23-10-2013, 07:32   #33

Update...

I had been talking with 2 separate people, but I guess I have taken to long to take the plunge as I haven't heard from them in over a month. I'm still looking. I'd be happy to skype with you if we both feel it might be a match.

I finished my solar setup. Am working on installing the new autopilot. Bought many little things here and there. I believe I am less than 30 days away from going. I'm actually waiting on my documentation from the coast guard!! I submitted in mid July and their website said they are processing requests from July 2nd right now...so I'm close. I have a temporary document, but I don't want to have it sent to my old address and have the hassle of trying to get it forwarded.

Anyway...my dream is still alive. The diesel starts up right every other week when I visit the boat. I sit down in my cabin and close my eyes and listen to the water lapping against the hull. I can't wait to be away from here. Nobody bugging me for anything, no drama, no heartache... just living and exploring...going at my own pace.

BTW, my boat is in Annapolis. Not sure if I said that already. If you're in Annapolis and would like to give me some sailing pointers or just shoot the **** for a little while, speak up.

-Maxx
Old 23-10-2013, 07:59   #34

Boat: Hunter 420

I replied to you earlier to go for it!....I just got back (solo)from my trip to the Abacos and had a blast. It wasn't as difficult as I had thought. Went from Walkers to Marsh in about two months. Came back to replenish and head back over. Although this time I'm heading further south into the Bahamas. It certainly was peachful not listening to the crap from everyone here about their problems. Over there the biggest problem I had was, where I was going to speafish, snorkel, fish the next day or whose boat I was going to eat diinner at. The boaters were fantastic about inviting me for dinner especially if I caught fish or brought over beer....lol.
Keep moving forward with your plans, you won't regret it.
Old 23-10-2013, 08:29   #35

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Not to be "Debbie Downer" but a 30 foot sailboat isn't really that big for 2 or more to live on full time. I would think 38 foot or more would be more suitable.
Does anyone else here have the same mindset?
Old 23-10-2013, 08:38   #36

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
Not to be "Debbie Downer" but a 30 foot sailboat isn't really that big for 2 or more to live on full time. I would think 38 foot or more would be more suitable. Does anyone else here have the same mindset?
Hmmm although I live on a 47 and go solo, it's like an island, I see many couples on 28 to 32 foot boats having the time of their lives at half my costs

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
Old 23-10-2013, 08:38   #37

Whats wrong with 30 feet....When I first when cruising about 25 years ago at lest half the boats out there were 30 feet or smaller.
Old 23-10-2013, 09:20   #38

True...30' is small for 2 people, but this isn't a luxury voyage, it's a bare minimum voyage. It's an older Hunter 30' with a very large cabin area. 37' boats are in a different price range.

Doug...I'm interested in talking with you about your first trip. Could you PM me an email address or phone number? Maybe we'll see each other down there this winter.
Old 23-10-2013, 17:37   #39

Boat: Beneteau, 41ft monohul

I would love to do the same for a couple of years. I would be curious to see what offers you had. I want to sail the Caribbean for a year or two, thinking about a 45ft - 50ft monohull, would love to go halves.
Old 23-10-2013, 17:51   #40

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Plan whatever you do, with a defined purpose. Don't be like the average SCUBA diver who gets ecstatic about finding a star fish or a lobster under a ledge; where do you think these creatures live? DUH!

Mauritz
If you fail to plan...you planned to fail!
Old 24-10-2013, 13:19   #41

I have the same Idea. I have always been a wander, What better way than to sail.
Old 27-10-2013, 12:42   #42

Hi there, well done for deciding to change your life for the positive, I respect your bravery and honesty for just going for your dreams!
Me and my partner are looking for a boat crossing the Atlantic this November from the Canary islands, with a view for cruising for a few months in the Carribean. If you are needing any crew if you are in Europe we'd luv to talk to you further, also if you are seeking some shorter term crew in the caribbean.
many happy adventures! Jessie and Leif
Old 27-10-2013, 16:19   #43

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Not to be "Debbie Downer" but a 30 foot sailboat isn't really that big for 2 or more to live on full time. I would think 38 foot or more would be more suitable.
You'd be in the majority for thinking that, but I'd be a shame if you thought you needed a 40' boat to do it right. I love my 27' and think it's an ideal cruising boat for two.

And it doesn't have to feel like camping either. Even though it'd be spartan by some standards, I've treated my boat well. Something to be said for small, simple, quality.
Old 27-10-2013, 18:02   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
I owned a 30' Hunter that we purchased new way back in 1979. It was our first boat; found it to be rugged, dependable and safe.....and slow as most 30' sailboats. Looking back, I wonder how we managed with two kids plus guests. Vacations saw our boat under weigh for over a month at a time. We used more fuel in the dinghy than the boat's diesel engine. OH--- the boat came factory equipped with a single horizontal cylinder Yanmar that was better suited for a rice paddy. Later I changed the pig for a 2 cylinder Universal (Kobta).

BUT LIVE ON IT????? HELL NO!!!! Far tooo small even for just Wifey and I. It also had a useless charting table along with a measly 30 gallon water tank. Looking back, I am sorry we kept it for 25 years before moving to power. But to each his own! We now have a 40' Silverton with an aft cabin with an enclosed rear deck. Just got fed up with my Hunter's poor amenities.
Old 27-10-2013, 19:55   #45

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
BUT LIVE ON IT????? HELL NO!!!! Far tooo small even for just Wifey and I. It also had a useless charting table along with a measly 30 gallon water tank. Looking back, I am sorry we kept it for 25 years before moving to power. But to each his own! We now have a 40' Silverton with an aft cabin with an enclosed rear deck. Just got fed up with my Hunter's poor amenities.
Fair enough, but the big vs small debate is ultimately pretty meaningless, even when you consider production boats of the same vintage from the same yard. Ultimately, 30ft of boat still provides a lot of options for what you want out of it. Saying a particular 30ft boat is not suited for comfortable cruising is a bit like saying a 50fter is not because you just jumped off a 50 ft ultra light displacement racer.

There are more compromises, but hey...