Throwing this out there early.
on a friend's boat
. We're starting out Oct. 1st (weather permitting, of course), trying to get there in a month. Then I'll be with the boat
for a couple weeks before trying to find a boat headed back to the US. The person whose boat I am headed down on has offered to fly me home to New Orleans
but if I can find a boat I would much prefer to sail. Anyone headed back to the US around mid-late November? Obviously it's hard to know exactly when but my schedule is flexible once we get down there. We will be based in St. Martin but I should be able to fly anywhere nearby if we line up something solid. I have been told that there can be issues with transferring crew from one boat to another so we would need to figure that out beforehand.
That's the logistics, now the essentials.
I'm male, in my mid-twenties, fairly experienced at sea. I grew up on a sailboat and recently put in 2,000 miles on my own 28' boat, will have another 2,000 sea miles by the time I get to the W. Indies. And I don't get seasick!(well, very, very rarely).
As for my wants, I'm flexible in just about every way, save a couple things. On a passage
like this I would want the boat to be passably seaworthy
, and I'm not sure how to say this without sounding snarky, but I'm not really interested in crewing
on a boat where passagemaking tends to consist of waiting for settled weather
and then motoring across. Other than that, I'm totally open and I'm happy with most ports
on the US south of, say, Georgia