Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2013, 13:09   #241
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
oem,

Happy to hear you succeeded!

When OpenCPN finished compiling (cmake..., make - to 100%) did you "make install"? From what you have said above it doesn't sound like you did. You should not have to go to /home/Downloads to start OpenCPN. Neither should you have needed to create any files... The "make install" command installs all necessary file systems in /usr/share/opencpn and the OpenCPN executable as /usr/bin/opencpn. You can still perform this step from the top of the OpenCPN source tree in /home/Downloads/OpenCPN. Then you will find OpenCPN in the main desktop menu most likely under "Education". Why it ends up there escapes me.

You can choose to have Linux Deploy mount the Linux system at boot if having to do this manually bugs you.

Finally, from inside OpenCPN click on the wrench (settings), then 'charts'. You'll have the option to install charts, including CM93 charts if you have them. If not we'll point you to some possible download links. Or, maybe sailors you know have them already. Your sdcard will hopefully be accessible at the chart installation stage.

I can appreciate your comments regarding screen size. My test platform was a Huawei 7 slim with a 7" screen. It is desirable to have a 10" screen. Now that you know this is doable and can be a great navigation tool, I recommend you consider buying a 10" tablet. Just make sure that if your tablet of choice has a built in gps - it generates nmea sentences and not just location, speed and course info. Very reasonably priced tablets are available that will fill the bill.

armido
I'm (nearly) at target number 1, which is my 'proof of concept' of opencpn in a rooted android-linux. It takes several hours and a few attempts first time, - but next time will (probably, - but not necessarily) be easier.

I need to learn and train how to operate akRDC or other vnc-viewer better before I feel fully comfortable. The advantage of having opencpn can make me accept certain disadvantages.

Next target is to connect the GPS from the android-linux with TurboGPS (I think it was). Or possibly the new 'fake nmea'-interface being developed by Richard?

And yes, - if I can make that work (then everybody else can also do it) and then I will not only consider buying a larger android, - I will also do it :-)

I had two errors:

1) I didn't know how to operate the desktop. I though opencpn would appear as an icon, which it does not. But a right click makes it appear in a dropdown box under (as you write) under 'Applications', 'Education'. I learned that now :-)

2) The sdcard-filesystem was not available since I did not select in the Linuxdeploy. When I did it was there, and I could add my charts directories. (I have plenty of charts, and of course I know cm93 also).

As I wrote above I still had to copy all files from /usr/share/opencpn to /usr/local/share/opencpn. Especially styles.xml, since I was not able to start the program without. I haven't tried S57 or cm93 charts yet, - only bsb-charts, I guess those charts would need the information from this folder also.

OpenCPN can run on a HTC Desire :-) Impressive..
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 14:55   #242
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds

I installed TurboGPS, and it works fine, sending nmea-strings to Opencpn, showing position on charts.

I switched to bVNC, it has a nice single hand-mode with touch screen mouse simulation (it worked a lot better for me than akRDC). Only problem was that I could not make it change to 'landscape'-mode, maybe I missed something somewhere.

Does it work in practical sailing?

Maybe, - with a larger screen and in dry conditions. But it will have to be tested under real conditions. As a backup solution, definitely. Even on a tiny HTC Desire.

Power consumption might be an issue, a number of processes run in parallel.

Still impressed, though. And it has been good fun trying it out :-)
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 17:25   #243

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

oem,

Did use the instructions at opencpn.org or the old instructions from this thread?

If you followed instructions at opencpn.org you would have used this command:

"cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN"

Consequently the OpenCPN executable would have been installed in /usr/bin and OpenCPN's working directory would be /usr/share/opencpn

I recommend you delete the /usr/local/opencpn and /usr/local/bin/opencpn executable.

Then 'make clean' your /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN source tree.

Follow the instructions at opencpn.org to a 'T' to compile by executing

cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN

then,
'make'

And finally,
'make install'

Happy to hear your built in gps works with OpenCPN via Turbo GPS.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 17:56   #244

oem,

You will discover with use akRDC works better with OpenCPN than Free bvnc. Much easier to change mouse keys when needing to raise menus, select routes or objects and or edit tem. Also, the akRDC + and - icons enable you to zoom in on a menu or object - minimizing the chance you will inadvertently tap on the wrong menu item with potentially disasterous results. Try dragging a waypoint to a new location with FreeBvnc. Can't be done. akRDC enables dragging a waypoint with your finger.

Have you discovered the three vertical dots in the lower right corner of akRDC? Click on them and your akRDC controls/icons appear. Click on the arrow, fourth icon from the left to raise or hide function keys. Click on the abbreviated keyboard icon to raise the keyboard. If you have not already, install Hacker's Keyboard from Google Play an assign as your default keyboard. You'll be glad you did!

armido
Old 17-04-2013, 18:18   #245

oem,

I am incorrect about Freebvnc. I discovered the single hand option that permits dragging a mark or waypoint after long pressing for mouse/zoom options. However, I'd prefer it kept the mode I've selected until I toggle it off or select a different one. I'll play with it some more before giving it a thumbs up or down. Of course, people can use whatever viewer they want and I encourage everyone to try them all. Share you findings and opinions in this thread.

armido
Old 17-04-2013, 18:55   #246

oem,

You probably know this already, but the working directory for OpenCPN to be deleted is /usr/local/share/opencpn - not /usr/local/opencpn...
Old 08-05-2013, 11:57   #247

To all,

Instructions for installing OpenCPN on an android tablet can be found here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Typically programs compiled from source code under Linux are installed in /usr/local. Anyone using an intel based computer, and prhaps a Mac, could have two different versions of OpenCPN installed at the same time. One version installed using a package manager like yum or apt will reside in /usr/bin and /usr/share/opencpn. Another installed from source will reside in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share/opencpn. A users /home/android/.opencpn file system contains the OpenCPN configuration files for both versions. However, why would one want two different versions of OpenCPN installed at the same time? In the very least it is a waste of space.

The instructions referenced at the top of this post specifies using a command that installs OpenCPN in /usr/bin and /usr/share/opencpn. The advantage is that if a packaged (.rpm or .deb) version of OpenCPN is installed later on the version installed earlier from source code will be overwritten.

A packaged version of OpenCPN running in a chroot Linux environment along side android on ARM devices is currently unavailable. So, it must be compiled and installed from source code. When OpenCPN becomes available for ARM devices, why not be in a position to have your version installed from source replaced automatically - omitting otherwise wasted space by having two different versions installed?

Would appreciate feedback from those of you who succeed following my instructions.

Thanks,
armido
Old 08-05-2013, 13:51   #248

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

So I buy a Tablet, thinking about Samsung GT7100 with 3G and 32GB. Will OpenCPN run through GPS offshore ( i.e., without requiring WIFI or CELL Tower). I haven't found anyone that unequivocably states this for me. Before I go through the expense of buying the tablet I want to be sure how the Tablet works. I would love to get one. I know you guys are doing this, I'm a little confused on the how. su - root?

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:15   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe View Post
So I buy a Tablet, thinking about Samsung GT7100 with 3G and 32GB. Will OpenCPN run through GPS offshore ( i.e., without requiring WIFI or CELL Tower). I haven't found anyone that unequivocably states this for me. Before I go through the expense of buying the tablet I want to be sure how the Tablet works. I would love to get one. I know you guys are doing this, I'm a little confused on the how. su - root?
gpshephe,

The built in gps on my Motorola Xoom works offshore like any other marine gps I own - except it does not show tracks and waypoints like my Garmin 72H. Using GpsTest from Google Play enables me to know lat/long, speed, position of satellites and and their i.d., time of sunrise and sunset, local and gmt time. You want verification from Samsung the built in gps generates nmea sentences and does not like my Xoom, only provide already processed information OpenCPN cannot presently use. We are hoping someone will write an apk (android program) that will convert the finished, non-nmea information" to 'fake nmea data' usable by OpenCPN.

I believe you will be disappointed using a 5.5" screen when viewing OpenCPN. I recommend a 10" screen. There are lots of choices available at pretty reasonable prices. I would not hesitate trying some of the more obscure names in tablet manufacturing. The primary differences will be in screen sensitivity to touch, and memory. I wouldn't buy anything until I'd held it in my grubby hands first and had an opportunity to take it for a test drive. Also pay close attention to the cpu type, making sure it is at least an ARMV5.

As far as understanding the instructions goes, you don't have to. Just follow them step by step. Copy and paste, hit enter... But for your information 'su' in linux is a command requesting super user status. Normally you would be denied the request if you cannot supply the super user's password. But, during the installation process a password is not required. You only need to type 'su' and press enter. Note that the instructions also ask you to create a super user password for use later when actually working from the Linux desktop. In Linux a normal user cannot alter system files although they can view them. It is a security feature. Only the super user and or users explicitly given permission to alter system files can do so. Remember, whenever logged in as the super user a mis-typed command can destroy your system. So, unless absolutely necessary you should always be logged in as the normal user - android.

armido
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35   #250

To all,

To give those of you an idea of what's available in 10" tablets, see Newegg.com - PPSSRETB5913 These tablets typically come with a warranty or replacement agreement. I would not hesitate buying a "refurbished" or "unboxed" (demo or display) unit if the savings are significant. The above is only one example. Check out Amazon where new, refurbished and unboxed devices are also sold. Check eBay. Possibilities abound.

armido
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55   #251

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

So at the risk of having a spare bilge pump thrown at me. You're saying

1. Any android tablet will run Open CPN (preferrably 10.1 screen size)
2. GPS will work offshore. internal or USB.
3. Just follow installation procedures on the web site.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:11   #252

gpshephe,

No. Success using an external usb gps with OpenCPN has not yet been achieved. See the instructions regarding success using a bluetooth gps. Probably not your first choice given complexity of getting a bluetooth device to work. Provided the android tablet you choose has a gps chip that generates nmea data, you can use TurboGps - an android apk free for the download from Google Play to connect with OpenCPN. So, an additional consideration in choosing your tablet is that you will be able to use Google Play. You can visit Google Play with a p.c to see what it is.

Nobody has reported yet that OpenCPN could not be used when installed per my instructions on their android device.

There are exceptions for everything in life. Built in gps on android devices SHOULD work offshore... Best to poll users. Finally, the performance of built in gps chips appears to vary. A few complaints will be discovered if you use your favourite search engine regarding this issue. Again, another consideration when choosing a tablet.

armido
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20   #253

An excellent website where information about android devices abounds - including reviews, problems & solutions and hacking how to's is Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers. Add it to your favourite bookmarks and use liberally in making your decision about which tablet to buy.

armido
Old 11-05-2013, 14:54   #254
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hey Armido,

And anyone else using OpenCPN on a android tablet that does not output real NMEA like the XOOM.

I found an app that generates the NMEA sentences and outputs them to WIFI where they can be intercepted along the way by OpenCPN. The App is GPS Share WiFi by Work4blue.com. Most of the help is in Chinese, which I don't read but the controls are in English.

You start this app to use the WiFi hotspot (I'm not sure it actually needs to be sending) and direct OpenCPN to look at a net connection on localhost port 12776. You can change the port number if you like in GPS share WiFi. OpenCPN now knows where you are. I am at home so I have only used it around the house so I can't yet vouch for the stability, but it is worth a try.

Cheers, Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27   #255

ejs,

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, since wireless hot spots require access to an internet provider in order to function, this alternative is of little use to offshore sailors. I suppose it may be useful for inland travel. It defeats an important objective in this project if a.c. power is required by the router and an inverter is thrown into the mix. Units that operate on d.c. may be available though. Your eBay link does not provide information about power requirements.

Thanks,
armido

Tags
opencpn