Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23   #1006

Re: OpenCPN General

If you have access to a Maxsea you can export all waypoints as Gpx and Opencpn will read it. If different colour waypoints export them separately and and in a text editor change icon name to an icon in opencpn. I never did tracks before as I only use marks and waypoints for all my fishing
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:47   #1007

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks everyone, its been improved with your input!
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...nts_and_tracks
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:26   #1008

Boat: Corsair F-31 #001

(F-31 "Osprey" stuck in Stuart, Fla doing transom repairs, and not on our way to Bahamas, hoping to get guidance from wise folk here while we have internet...)

I am now running (uname -a): Linux ben-ThinkPad-T440s 3.13.0-141-generic #190-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 12:52:38 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We were having some trouble in that O'cpn was losing track of even a skinnied-up chart database (mix of NOAA ENC and Bahamas BSBs, and CM93). All charts gone, and I'd have to delete and re-add the directories to restore the Dbase. It worked, but awkward.

I taught the SW updater about Ocpn, and notice that there are two packages that it finds:
- opencpn:i386 4.8.2-0~trusty1
and
- opencpn 4.8.2-0~trusty1

along with all the plugins. I had previously installed the GRIB plugin and was using it to look for stream-crossing windows. Very nice. Thank you, thank you!

Can someone suggest the most stable config to run on Thinkpad T440 laptop, or what might be going on to cause chart DB corruption/disappearance?

I also want to thank any and all Ocpn contributors who might be seeing this. With a small amount of guidance I might be able to cook up a decent bug-report if it would be useful, while we are still on the hard with the boat in the yard getting a new transom after our motor-mount tore itself off the boat in the St Lucie inlet...

Cheers and thanks in advance,
ben
jbbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:33   #1009

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbacque View Post
(F-31 "Osprey" stuck in Stuart, Fla doing transom repairs, and not on our way to Bahamas, hoping to get guidance from wise folk here while we have internet...)

I am now running (uname -a): Linux ben-ThinkPad-T440s 3.13.0-141-generic #190-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 19 12:52:38 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We were having some trouble in that O'cpn was losing track of even a skinnied-up chart database (mix of NOAA ENC and Bahamas BSBs, and CM93). All charts gone, and I'd have to delete and re-add the directories to restore the Dbase. It worked, but awkward.

I taught the SW updater about Ocpn, and notice that there are two packages that it finds:
- opencpn:i386 4.8.2-0~trusty1
and
- opencpn 4.8.2-0~trusty1

along with all the plugins. I had previously installed the GRIB plugin and was using it to look for stream-crossing windows. Very nice. Thank you, thank you!

Can someone suggest the most stable config to run on Thinkpad T440 laptop, or what might be going on to cause chart DB corruption/disappearance?

I also want to thank any and all Ocpn contributors who might be seeing this. With a small amount of guidance I might be able to cook up a decent bug-report if it would be useful, while we are still on the hard with the boat in the yard getting a new transom after our motor-mount tore itself off the boat in the St Lucie inlet...

Cheers and thanks in advance,
ben
Get rid of the 32bit repositories on your 64bit system. Is there some real reason for which you are using multilib at all? That should resolve your "It found 2 different versions" problem.

As for your other problem, the chart database is lost when exactly?
Deleting and re-adding the chart directories means what exactly? The chart database rebuild does not work for you?
Can we see your logfile?

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:40   #1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Get rid of the 32bit repositories on your 64bit system. Is there some real reason for which you are using multilib at all? That should resolve your "It found 2 different versions" problem.

As for your other problem, the chart database is lost when exactly?
Deleting and re-adding the chart directories means what exactly? The chart database rebuild does not work for you?
Can we see your logfile?

Pavel
Thank you so much for the prompt reply, Pavel. I will have to google up "getting rid of 32-bit repositories". I will assume (until corrected here or by google) that the "i386" version of OpenCPN that showed up for me was a 32-bit version, and that I should pick the other one. I don't think there is any reason for me to have "multilib", but don't expect to get generic linux help here. Perhaps I have a deeper linux config issue that causes me a problem that i need to look into.

My first step to getting towards a proper description of the chart-disappearance issue was to get my linux up-to-date and re-install OpenCPN from scratch, so I that I would have a solid starting point from which to first see if the issue remained, and to be able to clearly document it to those of you who understand OpenCPN details. I *believe* that after having added charts and having things work fine, but then CPU sleep and restart while GPS (over 232-to-USB converter) was sending NMEA caused linux to think it was a mouse made us quit and re-start OpenCPN, only to find charts gone. The DB rebuild options did not seem to work, but chart-directory-delete and re-build did (from OpenCPN>settings>charts...). But until I can take this from scratch and reproduce it clearly, this is just hearsay. Nothing like a crappy bug-report. Weird USB port-enumeration issues during attach/disattach, sleep/wake etc are not OpenCPN issues, but can cause some confusion for us as well, thus the exit and restart OpenCPN. I used to have shell commands for figuring ttyusb stuff in my head, but need to refresh my memory on that so I can ensure I am telling OpenCPN properly where to look for NMEA GPS info...

I need to get to the boatyard before it gets too hot here, so I will log back on and check again later in the day. My real goal right now was to get a known-good clean install so that the issue either was gone or reproducible so that I might do a good job on a bug-report.

Again my thanks for a prompt reply.
Cheers,
ben
Old 12-02-2018, 04:29   #1011

Pavel (et al), I have reinstalled OpenCPN using the Ubuntu Software Center, non-i386 version. I will worry about getting rid of extraneous "multi support" later...

I had a look at the logfile, but unless you ask again I will not trouble you with the ~1Mbyte file, as there were error messages in there that might help explain but would be difficult to fully understand.

I believe that in preparing for this trip, I had skinnied up my chart database, moved some directories around, etc, and then asked OpenCPN to rebuild. I could easily have made it quite confusing for any DB algo to deal with. The logfile alone might not provide sufficient context for root-cause, you'd have to know what was where and when as well.

I also noticed that I had left some blanks in some chart directory names, which could cause trouble, so I replaced those with underscores before asking OpenCPN to find and index my charts this time.

The cleaned directories and fresh install seem to be working fine so far.

I am going to move the logfile to a backup so it starts fresh as well and I can find stuff more easily.

Cheers and thanks,
ben
Old 12-02-2018, 07:25   #1012

Boat: Valiant 42
OpenCPN General

Ben,

If you look the log file you can see that it contains many invocations of OpenCPN. A text editor (nano) can remove all lines except the last few invocations. Or you can try to gzip opencpn.log to create opencpn.log.gz and see if it is much smaller. Then mv opencpn.log.gz opencpn.pdf and attach it to a message here.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 15:58   #1013

Call me a traditionalist, but for me it was vi and 1,.d, where . was the first invocation after my latest install. Done.

Since the latest install and invoke and chart db import was clean, I now have a clean logfile starting with the first invocation of the latest install so I can file a decent bug report if anything goes wrong. The last logfile was too confused with lots of ancient stuff and my farting arond... my problems caused (I now think, having briefly perused the error messages inside) by my moving things around in the file system behind OpenCPN's back, then asking it to rebuild the chart db.

If an OpenCPN contributor really wants to dig in on this one, I could attempt to reconstruct the sequence, but at the moment, having been stuck on the hard in Stuart for over a week, and desperate launch again and get sailing to the Bahamas in the next crossing window, I'd like to defer... again, I really do appreciate the support one can get from the community here!
Cheers
ben
PS and OT: Where on cruiser's forum do I find folks lurking around Stuart or Lake Worth discussing Stream-crossing windows? The OpenCPN GRIB support is great, but this will be a first for us... cheers
Old 27-02-2018, 04:58   #1014

Bonjour,
J’ai chargé la dernière version stable 4.8.2 dans laquelle les possibilités de mise à jour automatique de groupes de cartes ont été bien augmentées. En particulier pour les PILOT CHARTS. Toutefois il semble qu’il doit y avoir une erreur dans le fichier XML de référence pour le Nord Pacifique, il charge le fichier compressé du Sud Pacifique.
« https://github.com/chartcatalogs/cat...OT_Catalog.xml »
Bien Cordialement.

Hello,
I loaded the last stable version 4.8.2 in which the possibilities of automatic update of groups of charts were well increased. Especially for the PILOT CHARTS. However it seems that there must be an error in the reference XML file for the North Pacific, it loads the compressed South Pacific file.
Cordially.

Bernard
bernard03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 06:51   #1015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard03 View Post
Bonjour,
J’ai chargé la dernière version stable 4.8.2 dans laquelle les possibilités de mise à jour automatique de groupes de cartes ont été bien augmentées. En particulier pour les PILOT CHARTS. Toutefois il semble qu’il doit y avoir une erreur dans le fichier XML de référence pour le Nord Pacifique, il charge le fichier compressé du Sud Pacifique.
Bien Cordialement.

Hello,
I loaded the last stable version 4.8.2 in which the possibilities of automatic update of groups of charts were well increased. Especially for the PILOT CHARTS. However it seems that there must be an error in the reference XML file for the North Pacific, it loads the compressed South Pacific file.
Cordially.

Bernard
Fixed, thanks for the report.

Pavel
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21   #1016

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odisseu 31

Hello everybody!

I've been searching and didn't find if there is any version of Opencpn for Iphone!

Anybody knows?

Thanks
vitoraposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitoraposo View Post
Hello everybody!

I've been searching and didn't find if there is any version of Opencpn for Iphone!

Anybody knows?

Thanks
No, there is none and it is very unlikely there will ever be.

Pavel
Old 04-03-2018, 07:30   #1018

Thanks Pavel!

Any reason for that?
Old 04-03-2018, 07:32   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitoraposo View Post
Thanks Pavel!

Any reason for that?
If nothing else, the impossibility for GPL licensed software to be distributed through Apples' AppStore, which in turn is the only way to install anything on an iPhone for a normal user of that device.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:38   #1020

Oh!
Unfortunately that's a mess because i've get used to have it on my old android phone and I found it very useful.

Thanks again for you prompt answer!