Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2011, 04:57   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Chart Downloader/Updater Plugin

Thomas,
thanks! I'm not really sure whether it wouldn't be better to remove the plugin from the download page for now... The chart downloading is not as stable as it should be and I'm busy with other project for at least another two weeks, so the plugin code will very unlikely be reasonably stable until OpenCPN 2.5 release

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 07:02   #17
Marine Service Provider

Pavel....

Any last minute API improvements desired to make this PlugIn easier/cleaner? We can add utility calls back to the core without breaking the current API. We just cannot add new methods to the PlugIn itself. VTable linkage problems......

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 08:17   #18

Dave...
chart database access would be good - I could use the actual chart versions and not rely on file dates. But for the time being I can sure do without it.
The biggest problem I have is the download itself - the threads seem to behave a bit differently between Win and Linux and wx as a toolkit is a little suboptimal in HTTP area. I will figure it out, but currently have a solder in one hand and wire cutter in the other and time for coding is quite scarce.

Pavel
Old 13-01-2015, 04:23   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
A long time ago, I have prototyped https://github.com/nohal/chartdldr_pi
Quite a layer of dust on it, but at the other hand can be resurrected.

Pavel
I am thinking of trying to blow a little dust off this. I cloned the plugin from git into the plugins folder under OpenCPN. I have identified the following when trying to build the plugin for 4.0 as follows:

1) Edit CMakeLists.txt and uncomment the line #FIND_PACKAGE(wxWidgets REQUIRED) else there will be errors further down during CMake.

2) Edit chartcatalog.h to add #define TIXML_USE_STL before line #include "../../../include/tinyxml.h
because tinystr.h is no longer part of O.

Now I am stuck on checkedlistctrl.cpp which attempts to include several .xpm files directly into the cpp file. I don't think this will work as the compiler doesn't know what to do with these graphic files. Does anyone know how these graphic resources are supposed to be melded into the build of the plugin?

I am building under Linux (Mint) for the time being. Later we can try to get it building under Windows.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 05:28   #20

Xpm is C code... I will have a look later today.

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-01-2015, 06:40   #21

You are right. I think it is just some warnings about deprecated use of assignment of constant strings to char * array. Easy to fix that I think. It is building the .so now so all is well for the time being.
Old 13-01-2015, 07:38   #22

transmitterdan...
I have just pushed an update to github, switching the plugin to the standard build system we now use. I have also created https://github.com/nohal/chartdldr_pi/issues with the stuff I remember needs fixing (The switch to wxCURL is absolutely critical)
I also very vaguely remember there was some change in the format of the NOAA catalog files.

Good luck

Pavel
Old 13-01-2015, 12:26   #23

Pavel,

Thanks, I'll pull it later today and see if I can get it running here. I got the old version running on my Linux system but haven't done any debugging yet. I'll wait until I get the latest git to start that. But I can see what you had in mind. Once I understand what you did we can have a discussion about what it needs to do and how it might be configured.
Old 15-01-2015, 04:00   #24

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It compiled for me, under windows earlier, 2 days ago. And the plugin works and looks like a very nice addition Pavel. I just had a problem with the download crashing O. I will go look at logs amd post anything i see relevant. The noaa chart selections work nicely, somewhat dependent on inet of course. ...might help new users with charts to get them started quickly! This is the first hurdle for a new user. Where do i get some charts. Once that is accomplished, they are pretty sure to contonue using the program.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 05:23   #25

I have a script for Windows that retrieves charts for the US. It is easily configured. I put a link on my profile page in a conversation. If someone would look at it and tell me if it's appropriate we could give it to newbies. Same script could be easily converted to /bin/sh I think.
Old 15-01-2015, 08:49   #26

Transmitter Dan,
Can you add a .txt or .pdf to the end of the script and upload here? Or is it too big? I'd like to see it. Might be a big help to new users. Of course getting Pavels chartdnldr working would be ideal.

If it is too big you can upload to Opencpn Beta File Thingie to the dedicated upload directory. I can then look at it and put it in another directory for others to download. (I've separated these functions for control and security now.)

OpenCPN Beta File Thingie upload uploadpass
Old 15-01-2015, 08:54   #27

Quote:
I also very vaguely remember there was some change in the format of the NOAA catalog files.
There may be a change, but I was able to retrieve the catalogue and select specific charts by State, then go to the next step to download. I should go back and see if the Coast Guard Districts downloads are there, but it seemed to cover the entire US very nicely. It did take a little while to download the catalogue or index, so maybe there is some cleanup needed.... there too. But the main problem is getting wxcurl or libcurl or whatever working properly I believe. I am going to check my log file next.
Old 15-01-2015, 09:21   #28

Pavel has Chart Source
Noaa RNC all charts (too big!) --and it is got hung up. Maybe do it in separate gulps?
Noaa ENC all charts (too big!) -- same problem.

Then would like to be able to have chart location remembered and be able to Browse to repoint it into an ENC or RNC or BSB or whatever folder, perhaps even being able to make a new folder. Right now it is forgetting where it was pointed between uses and selections.

Two Sessions
1. Chartdlr - 11:54 Failed due to trying to load NOAA ENC (All Charts)
It just sat there with CPU running on high and nothing downloaded but nothing crashed. I hit Cancel and Opencpn crashes and Crash report is sent.
2. Chartdlr - 12:01 Pick smaller indexs for a state, this time NOAA -RI initiate download and the catalogue is downloaded and everyting looks good. (See Screen shots). Then go to download two charts and I get a crash, well actually it gets hung up and I have to cancel. See shots.

Also see attached log please. Sorry about all the plugins.
Thank you Dan. I think it will work much better if we can get the thing downloading better.

Maybe I should get it running in debug mode to get some file and line numbers....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chartdlr-1.png
Views:	212
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	95528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chartdlr-2.png
Views:	206
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	95529  

Old 17-01-2015, 15:25   #29

I think Pavel did some more on it so git fetch worked, compiled it and
saw that the RNC MA with selection of two Boston Harbor charts first started downloading from

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/RNCs/13270.zip
Which is the correct url because it works with Firefox, however curl isn't working yet so it hangs up with high CPU.

Probably something simple to fix. I will look at it maybe I can figure it out.
Old 18-01-2015, 06:21   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Probably something simple to fix. I will look at it maybe I can figure it out.
Rick,

I'll take a look when I get back from sailing.

Dan

Tags
charts