Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 05:50   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Primadonna Saga Update

The one thing we can do, is to go out of our way to trade with Pat Stockwell. That may go a little towards making up his loss, and show our appreciation for him being a stand up guy.

What goes around, comes around.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:29   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Pat Stockwell manages the store - he doesn't own it. Doing business with the store won't benefit him personally.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 06:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Pat Stockwell manages the store - he doesn't own it. Doing business with the store won't benefit him personally.

Mark
Sorry, didn't know
Old 22-04-2014, 07:04   #19

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Primadonna Saga update

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Either way I feel for Paschal, how does it go, except for the grace of God, go I?
All it would take it one good trip and many of us would fall.
Anyone can have bad luck but many of us would refuse to "fall" to scamming and cheating and stealing unless we were literally starving to death. If Paschal couldn't afford the things he wanted/needed, he should have got himself a job and worked 12-15 hours a day until he could afford them, or adjust his list of "wants." Just like you and me and everybody else. Then, he also chose to not clear into the Bahamas. That didn't just "happen" to him and the grace of God didn't make him do it. If he had confronted his financial problems head on back in NC, he wouldn't have had to leave and if he had properly cleared into the Bahamas, he would have been able to anchor in a safe harbor rather than hiding out in an unprotected spot near a reef. Lots of people are forced to deal with some bad luck every day, just like Paschal. But Paschal has repeatedly made bad choices, and it's largely those bad choices, not the lack of benefit from the grace of God, that has got Paschal where he is today!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 08:39   #20

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

"We are new in the world of sailing, less than one year experience, and what we knew about wrecking and salvaging was from friends and fellow sailors, as well as research in internet on the subject."

I started sailing at 6. As of this month it makes 60 years. I still am learning with each year, each trip, each boat project. This statement is indicative of our society today. Everything has to be immediate. So many profess to be experts, only to find out what they read on the internet wasn't accurate. Imagine that. Boating and sailing used to be a long term commitment. Now, a couple of lessons, some money and off to sail around the world, in a light weight boat that can out run the weather. Until they get seasick and frightened. That's why there are so many boats for sail in the Virgins, Trinidad, St Martin etc. this cast of characters both the derelicts and the theives casts quite an unpleasant image of cruisers/boaters.

If Fata Morgana gets to the French islands, they very well may be in for a surprise. If they are smart and avoid them, they will be missing a lot.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 08:58   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Primadonna Saga update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Anyone can have bad luck but many of us would refuse to "fall" to scamming and cheating and stealing unless we were literally starving to death. If Paschal couldn't afford the things he wanted/needed, he should have got himself a job and worked 12-15 hours a day until he could afford them, or adjust his list of "wants." Just like you and me and everybody else. Then, he also chose to not clear into the Bahamas. That didn't just "happen" to him and the grace of God didn't make him do it. If he had confronted his financial problems head on back in NC, he wouldn't have had to leave and if he had properly cleared into the Bahamas, he would have been able to anchor in a safe harbor rather than hiding out in an unprotected spot near a reef. Lots of people are forced to deal with some bad luck every day, just like Paschal. But Paschal has repeatedly made bad choices, and it's largely those bad choices, not the lack of benefit from the grace of God, that has got Paschal where he is today!

Not saying it did happen, but I can sort of see how he could have been in a pickle. First can he even legally get a job? He's not a US citizen, no work Visa, etc.
This check, is it possible he thought it was good? I think it wasn't his check or was it, I don't know?

I'm only saying that it's possible in this internet court we may not have all the facts is all, he may be a completely un-trustworthy thief, or it's possible he may not be, I don't know. I do not have any personal knowledge of any of this, I only know what I have read on the internet, and sometimes that isn't the whole story
Old 22-04-2014, 09:16   #22

I think in most parts of the world if your boat is on the beach/reef/rocks, unattended, it's fair game for salvage. If you dont want it salvaged, you need to stay with it or have someone stay with it. It's always been common knowledge as far as I knew and have read.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 09:19   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think in most parts of the world if your boat is on the beach/reef/rocks, unattended, it's fair game for salvage. If you dont want it salvaged, you need to stay with it or have someone stay with it. It's always been common knowledge as far as I knew and have read.

Yes but salvage , is just that, you salvage it for the owner and are entitled to compensated for that action. It never means you own the boat etc.

Otherwise its simple , its theft.

Dave
Old 22-04-2014, 09:34   #24

I guess there's just a lot of thieves around for hundreds of years then. Florida to Trinidad, Mexico to Fiji. You see bits and pieces of boats on pickups trucks, homes, in restaurants etc. All the boats on the beach during the storm in Cabe 20 years ago etc... Some owners salvage some stuff but much is left for the taking.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 09:35   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I guess there's just a lot of thieves around for hundreds of years then. Florida to Trinidad, Mexico to Fiji. You see bits and pieces of boats on pickups trucks, homes, in restaurants etc. All the boats on the beach during the storm in Cabe 20 years ago etc... Some owners salvage some stuff but much is left for the taking.

Various kings and queens also hanged a lot of those thieves over the years too.

Dave
Old 22-04-2014, 09:47   #26

Boat: csy 37

seems like the thread that was just closed a few days ago has resurfaced here...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 09:49   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Nice break over the easter holiday though
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 09:59   #28

just curious, how many others think the prima donna will ever sail again, or will it just litter the reef?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:08   #29

Boat: csy 37

the primadonna will neither 'sale' nor 'sail' again, imho. it's simply a matter of money.

if the french couple is still in the bahamas, i'm guessing that right now they're trying to get someone in nassau to give them a free ride back to booby cay. probably telling the bdf that, since they removed them from the boat, they should take them back.

but once there they're going to find there's nobody at booby cay they can mooch off of....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 10:12   #30

Boat: Catalina 36, Mk I

Parts of it are sailing even now...

It just strikes me as cosmically funny: an unscrupulous couple blogging about stripping stuff from the grounded boat of a fraudster.