Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2014, 10:34   #31

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Re: Primadonna Saga Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmmicro View Post
Parts of it are sailing even now...

It just strikes me as cosmically funny: an unscrupulous couple blogging about stripping stuff from the grounded boat of a fraudster.
I notice that they didn't blog about it until after they had researched the Primadonna: they seemed to think the irony of it would keep them safe.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 11:03   #32

With all of the rationalizations they were using for their actions, I wouldn't be surprised if their definition of "finding" stuff means "liberating" it from other people's boats. I wouldn't want to be anchored anywhere near them.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 11:32   #33

I have a question. If they do stop at a French Island and get detained for questioning about the theft. Is everything on their boat fair game to other "wreckers"? I am just trying to follow their logic about the whole thing.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 11:47   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
yeah, I wonder if the boat had an organ donor card on it?
Old 22-04-2014, 12:04   #35

Quote:

It just strikes me as cosmically funny: an unscrupulous couple blogging about stripping stuff from the grounded boat of a fraudster.
And the humor continues as the fraudster's government claims that a boat on it's side is actually "docked" while demanding that the thieves turn themselves in by email.

--
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 12:05   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
I have a question. If they do stop at a French Island and get detained for questioning about the theft. Is everything on their boat fair game to other "wreckers"? I am just trying to follow their logic about the whole thing.

Absolutely not! You must follow the law. Tow it away, salvage it, sell it and fwd any leftover proceeds after expenses to them. I doubt there will be much, if any leftover money after profit sharing with the other crewmembers.

Did pirates have profit sharing?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 12:26   #37

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post

Yes, they did in many instances.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 12:42   #38

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Primadonna Saga update

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Not saying it did happen, but I can sort of see how he could have been in a pickle. First can he even legally get a job? He's not a US citizen, no work Visa, etc.
This check, is it possible he thought it was good? I think it wasn't his check or was it, I don't know?

I'm only saying that it's possible in this internet court we may not have all the facts is all, he may be a completely un-trustworthy thief, or it's possible he may not be, I don't know. I do not have any personal knowledge of any of this, I only know what I have read on the internet, and sometimes that isn't the whole story
Are you REALLY trying to justify his stealing and scamming if he couldn't get a work visa?

This isn't an internet court, but there are some facts that may not be known to you but are known to those who have taken the time to research this just a little. For example, most of us were aware that your suggestion that we give our business to Pat's employer would accomplish nothing towards getting money to him. Many people where he spent over a year camped out on his boat have said that he indeed was an un-trustworthy thief.

Whether he thought the check was good or not, it turns out that it was not, and he still had the furler he was selling in his possession so the only one who got hurt was the guy who tried to help him out by co-signing the check for him. Paschal ended up with the money AND the furler and was refusing to give Pat back his money and instead tried to give him the furler instead. A small claims court found that he was liable for the entire amount and must pay Pat back the $3000 value of the check. It's really pretty black and white if you take the time to actually learn what happened.

You'd do well to read up on this subject before making any more comments about how this could happen to any of us but for the grace of God, etc. That is true about a lot of situations in life, but this is not one of them.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 12:55   #39

Quote:

Ethically, I know this is horrible, but I had to laugh at that one. But, I already know I'm ethically compromised...I used to work for big corporations.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 13:10   #40

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
In most cases yes and often elected their captains as well.
Old 22-04-2014, 13:32   #41
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Anyone can have bad luck but many of us would refuse to "fall" to scamming and cheating and stealing unless we were literally starving to death. If Paschal couldn't afford the things he wanted/needed, he should have got himself a job and worked 12-15 hours a day until he could afford them, or adjust his list of "wants." Just like you and me and everybody else. Then, he also chose to not clear into the Bahamas. That didn't just "happen" to him and the grace of God didn't make him do it. If he had confronted his financial problems head on back in NC, he wouldn't have had to leave and if he had properly cleared into the Bahamas, he would have been able to anchor in a safe harbor rather than hiding out in an unprotected spot near a reef. Lots of people are forced to deal with some bad luck every day, just like Paschal. But Paschal has repeatedly made bad choices, and it's largely those bad choices, not the lack of benefit from the grace of God, that has got Paschal where he is today!
This is all very true and correct , however it in no way justifies thieving. Stealing from a thief because he may or nay not be a thief is not justified. ( No more then murdering a murder is)

dave
Old 22-04-2014, 13:36   #42
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Absolutely not! You must follow the law. Tow it away, salvage it, sell it and fwd any leftover proceeds after expenses to them. I doubt there will be much, if any leftover money after profit sharing with the other crewmembers.

of course thats not how salvage works, not to mention a boat aground in territorial waters

dave
Old 22-04-2014, 14:02   #43

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
This is all very true and correct , however it in no way justifies thieving. Stealing from a thief because he may or nay not be a thief is not justified. ( No more then murdering a murder is)

dave
Absolutely! It doesn't matter who you're stealing from, it only matters that you are stealing. If it's not yours, then it's not yours and you can't take it without the owners permission no matter what some nearby fisherman, or anyone else who is not the owner, may tell you.

I think it's to his great credit that even Pat, the guy who originally got scammed, said he wouldn't accept funds that came from Nomadik's plunder. He wants justice, not another crime to be rationalized and committed to get revenge for him.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 14:09   #44

Boat: One-off Baron von Hoevell, 29ft steel classic

I first read about the Primadonna in the following blogpost, their part starts at page 3. Their appearance in this piece explains why I'm not at all mad some of their stuff got stolen... If you go about things the way they have been, something like this or far worse is bound to happen at some point!

Prinses Mia | The Shipping News | TownDock.net, Oriental NC
Orchidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 14:10   #45

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Ive met Pat a few times- really great guy. It's a shame when truly nice, kind people in this world are subjected to such indecency.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote