Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 18:38   #196
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to US$ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
Nope I don't go for the level everyone so we are all poor.
When asked what would he do if elected Jerivnoski(russian politics before Putin) said America move south(Nafta) Europe(unite) Russia must move south(only one warm sea port) ..like it or not(I dont,I am american, hell Im better than everyone..LOL)..one world gov. is the future.. DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:47   #197

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
..one world gov. is the future.. DVC
First the world will have to get over the culture differences, and I don't see that coming any time soon. It would be like unisex restrooms. Good luck!
Old 21-12-2011, 19:16   #198
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin
I just heared the euro just got a boost in a loan to 500 banks at 1% intrest to keep the euro from folding.
Yes the ECB is beginning to be let loose. Remember the European union is the worlds largest economy, it has tremendous financial resources. ( source 2010 IMF ) it's bigger then the US or china.

Dave
Old 21-12-2011, 19:25   #199

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes the ECB is beginning to be let loose. Remember the European union is the worlds largest economy, it has tremendous financial resources. ( source 2010 IMF ) it's bigger then the US or china.

Dave
Yes, but the US and China only have one government to answer to and therein lies the problem for the euro.
Old 21-12-2011, 19:28   #200
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Yes, but the US and China only have one government to answer to and therein lies the problem for the euro.
Thats right!
Old 21-12-2011, 19:51   #201
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

I suspect the current issues are bringing the EU countries actually closer together. Even the UK the odd man out actually agrees what the next steps should be. For the euro zone it's closer and closer integration. That will bring its own problems and advantages.

Dave
Old 21-12-2011, 19:58   #202
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I suspect the current issues are bringing the EU countries actually closer together. Even the UK the odd man out actually agrees what the next steps should be. For the euro zone it's closer and closer integration. That will bring its own problems and advantages.

Dave
Yeah problems such as long supressed German nationalism and French resentment....oh what am I thinking that has already come to pass...hasn't it...well has it?
Old 21-12-2011, 20:43   #203
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Just a friendly word y’all.... this is flirting DANGEROUSLY near the political rocks. Even though it is being discussed without becoming heated, political conversation is a thin ice issue at CF:
Quote:
Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are permitted only in association with the topic of this forum and will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
Old 22-12-2011, 00:11   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles

The US might only have one political system but it is being failed by it. The euro zone is making slow progress, whereas the US right now can agree on nothing. The addiction to national debt moves on without control.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:04   #205

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
We both agree that a the moment, especially here in the Eurozone, things are very strange. I don't ascribe to the apoplectic views because history has in general pulled back from such situations. We are in no danger of any widespread armed conflict, that's sure ( no body has the money anyway ) a return to barter has never happened since money began.

On this side of the pond , we need to get the french and German elections over. Hopefully these leaders will be replaced by those with a bit more vision. The Euro problem is temporary and is not related to the fundamental underlying economy, but a side effect of not having a functional central bank, because the Germans are scared of something that happened 80 years ago, yet the fundamentals are completely different now then then.

However if all fails, I fundamentally don't feel a boat is a useful refuge at all. ( nor is there any historical precedence that it is) boats require access to technology, they require a willing shore based support network. You only have to read the history of naval development to see that. No if you feel the need to return to survival mode, you need land, in my case, I'm well armed, maybe I'll just take it. Once you have some land you need to be able to defend it. ( maybe I need a few like minded friends!) . The sea is not suitable for long term survival, land is.

Dave
A long time back there was this guy called Noah.....

I for one would be much happier on a boat surviving somewhere among the Pacific South Sea islands, befriending locals and keeping way out of the world hot spots.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:15   #206

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
I really don't see how this dynamically changes anything. Same as the bail out here in the states. Unless there is a global shift in monetary policy then it is just a drip drip drip.
Damn right

I can't imagine going to the bank, admitting my overdraft is beyond my ability to repay, so just negotiating to increase it because the bank doesn't want to show my O/D as a bad debt, yet...

and then kidding myself I've solved my problem???!!!

This is not difficult stuff to understand. Just unpalatable

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:26   #207
Armchair Bucketeer

EU still has lots of tools still in the toolbox - just a matter of using them well.

Build for the future - or nail foot to floor

FWIW I favour further EU expansion, full membership for the gaps on the map within the European continent.......but associate membership "EU Lite" (of varying pre decided grades for countries to either aim for or to simply decide they don't want to be grade A associates - but nonetheless want to be in the EU club at some level) for those on the physical periphery - say, like Turkey, North Africa, Belarus (might take a while that one ) and Ukraine.....and even Russia!.......main difference being no freedom of movement....and various levels of free trade / common standards.

The key would be to do it in a sensible time frame that works for both EU and the countries concerned (economically, socially and politically), if for some countries it might take 50 or 100 years (to acheive Grade A associate Membership or even later entry into the EU) - then so be it.

Main advantage for the EU is cheap labour on it's doorstep (are you listening China? ) and if prosperity can be spread would provide buffer states for the EU......and in the case of Russia would end up being more beneficial to trade with the EU than to invade and re-assure them that the EU thought likewise.

But probably best to sort out the present local difficulties first
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:43   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Really? I teach seminars in Europe all the time, and I find the wines to be completely disappointing compared to our home-grown Californians.
Quite obviously the palate of a peasant........just sayin'....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 05:14   #209

Boat: Seafarer 26
Ouch. Back to boat prices. I think boat prices will continue to decline with the political turmoil. I have noticed in the states people looking to rent or buy boats
to live on. I am happy that the eu has staved off financial disaster for awhile since it would have impacted the states fragile growth as we inch our way out of this. There will be a do over with our new president and congress which will have the economy take off again. So by. If you can now because prices are going up again.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 06:04   #210

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Ouch. Back to boat prices. I think boat prices will continue to decline with the political turmoil. I have noticed in the states people looking to rent or buy boats
to live on. I am happy that the eu has staved off financial disaster for awhile since it would have impacted the states fragile growth as we inch our way out of this. There will be a do over with our new president and congress which will have the economy take off again. So by. If you can now because prices are going up again.
Too bad the markets aren't as optimistic.