Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2011, 01:50   #181
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil
Hey, Dave... sorry for the rant but I do have a very nervous feeling about the future. Hopefully, your boat is a little more appealing than Kevin Costers! I really enjoy reading your point of view, seriously. I just don't share your more optimistic view of the future. My feeling is reflected in the plans I've made for my kids and grandkids. As far as Saxo's predictions go, I agree that Australia is in for some tough times ahead. Their real estate bubble is not dissimilar to what happened in the US except their banking regulations do not allow the liar loans or no down payment property aquisition so it won't be as severe. Further, if you don't think that Apple is overpriced, we don't agree.
This thread has prompted a lot of comment from which I've learned.
I know it has drifted but has been valuable to quite a few folks, I believe... many thanks to your and other contributors. i think this is really a unique forum. Cheers, Capt Phil
We both agree that a the moment, especially here in the Eurozone, things are very strange. I don't ascribe to the apoplectic views because history has in general pulled back from such situations. We are in no danger of any widespread armed conflict, that's sure ( no body has the money anyway ) a return to barter has never happened since money began.

On this side of the pond , we need to get the french and German elections over. Hopefully these leaders will be replaced by those with a bit more vision. The Euro problem is temporary and is not related to the fundamental underlying economy, but a side effect of not having a functional central bank, because the Germans are scared of something that happened 80 years ago, yet the fundamentals are completely different now then then.

However if all fails, I fundamentally don't feel a boat is a useful refuge at all. ( nor is there any historical precedence that it is) boats require access to technology, they require a willing shore based support network. You only have to read the history of naval development to see that. No if you feel the need to return to survival mode, you need land, in my case, I'm well armed, maybe I'll just take it. Once you have some land you need to be able to defend it. ( maybe I need a few like minded friends!) . The sea is not suitable for long term survival, land is.

Dave
Old 21-12-2011, 01:53   #182
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: What Will Happen to Boat Pricing when Euro Is Under Par to US$ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I was just listening at lunch to an interview with our defense secretary that was asked: what will you do if Israel attacks Iran to stop it from having the bomb. I can't quote it but he said we will do whatever is necessary to stop Iran from having nuclear weapons. First time it has been a line in the sand and under Obama no less.

Unlike Phil I don't believe we are headed toward anarchy. But it is a dangerous world. Always was.
The Israelis fear that an Obama 2nd term will recognise a Palestinian State (even if a bit fuzzy on the borders ).....and I suspect he will...........and if to stop that by sucking the US into another unwinnable war, well that be a price the Israelis will be willing to pay .

I personally think that the sooner Iran gets Nuclear Weapons (and the missiles to deliver) the better for all concerned - hell, the west can live with Nukes in North Korea and Pakistan - and even France ......Iran no different..........it's not as if the Iranians could not already deliver enough "dirty" bombs to make Israel unliveable (by self or by proxy) - and they haven't.

But the good news is that a boat that glows in the dark would be cheaper You just probably would want to have had your kids before buying......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 05:00   #183

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

The Israelis fear that an Obama 2nd term will recognise a Palestinian State (even if a bit fuzzy on the borders ).....and I suspect he will...........and if to stop that by sucking the US into another unwinnable war, well that be a price the Israelis will be willing to pay .

I personally think that the sooner Iran gets Nuclear Weapons (and the missiles to deliver) the better for all concerned - hell, the west can live with Nukes in North Korea and Pakistan - and even France ......Iran no different..........it's not as if the Iranians could not already deliver enough "dirty" bombs to make Israel unliveable (by self or by proxy) - and they haven't.

But the good news is that a boat that glows in the dark would be cheaper You just probably would want to have had your kids before buying......
My comment was meant to show that there will be more turmoil in that region and the crude oil supply that Iran provides will undoubtedly be impacted.
This will impact europe's supplies far more then US.

I don't see any possible way for an Obama second term so not going to happen and politically he is a lame duck now.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 07:47   #184
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Saying that a country with nukes is a threat is like saying you are afraid of ghost's..if anyone trys to launch a nuke we have the ability to detonate it in their faces...of course if you are one of those that think America is all washed up and done for then you need to belive in ghost..and other superstitious bull****...nuclear bombs are obsolete...unless its a couple of back wood countries like china and burma going at it....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 09:38   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
Saying that a country with nukes is a threat is like saying you are afraid of ghost's..if anyone trys to launch a nuke we have the ability to detonate it in their faces...of course if you are one of those that think America is all washed up and done for then you need to belive in ghost..and other superstitious bull****...nuclear bombs are obsolete...unless its a couple of back wood countries like china and burma going at it....DVC
What got into you. I said no such thing. Our defense secretary said it.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:21   #186
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
What got into you. I said no such thing. Our defense secretary said it.
You cant trust those Politic types to tell it straight..they walk backwards so that you think they are leaving...or something like that...DVC
Old 21-12-2011, 13:08   #187

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

In as much as there is far more water than land, therefore more places to hide out off the grid and the sea is a great grocery store. You don't have to wait for crops to grow or be waiting on the 'have nots' to take over your land. Although land based at the moment, I spent most of my life afloat, living and working and would feel very comfortable out there permanently if I wasn't in my twilight years. I admire your optimism on the European scene although I don't share it 100%.
While off topic, the biggest danger of Iran going Nuclear is not that they will be supplying terrorists with dirty bomb but it will spark a desire on the part of the rest of the middle east to match their move.
Middle Eastern oil prices will set the price level for the base stock for glass boats and the price is bound to be affected. You will see a rise in new boat costs and a drop in overall demand for new production.
The far east will become the only place where labor and production costs might remain reasonable although that is relative.
It will be interesting to see if boat builders will cater to the survivalist nut jobs like myself or continue to build for the wealthier set who want the same creature comforts as they enjoy in their land based homes. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 15:35   #188

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I just heared the euro just got a boost in a loan to 500 banks at 1% intrest to keep the euro from folding.
Old 21-12-2011, 15:49   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I just heared the euro just got a boost in a loan to 500 banks at 1% intrest to keep the euro from folding.
**** and i was looking forward to a bit of looting and anachy
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 15:57   #190

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
**** and i was looking forward to a bit of looting and anachy
you will have to go to another site to get some anachy looting goes on everywhere
Old 21-12-2011, 16:12   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin
I really don't see how this dynamically changes anything. Same as the bail out here in the states. Unless there is a global shift in monetary policy then it is just a drip drip drip.
Old 21-12-2011, 16:15   #192

Boat: Able 50

This hasn't shaken the market yet. The Euro has been steady around $1.30 for a week.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 16:37   #193

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with you DK... the underlying sovereign debt is going to sink the ship eventually contrary to Goboatingnow's opinion just as the US debt is going to put a torpedo in the American economy. The major world currencies are in for a rude adjustment... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 18:09   #194
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I'm with you DK... the underlying sovereign debt is going to sink the ship eventually contrary to Goboatingnow's opinion just as the US debt is going to put a torpedo in the American economy. The major world currencies are in for a rude adjustment... Capt Phil
And then the chinese will not be able to say that they were not part of the process and everybodys money will be the same and then everyone will be equal..no more americans being better than french men ,no more Japanese being better than koreans, an adjustment that brings the chinese into the process and then we can all move forward to fight the big fire...outerspace...wheres a good comet when you need a ride...
Old 21-12-2011, 18:24   #195

Nope I don't go for the level everyone so we are all poor.