Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2015, 10:44   #31

Boat: PT-11
Re: The Ultimate Beer Bottle Insulator

$20? I don't think so! Besides, who needs to cap up a beer? If you can't finish it off don't open it up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:29   #32

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Stars above,

You really are a beer enthusiast like I've never encountered!! I'd be afraid to serve you a beer on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I was thinking the same thing

My tastes are a pretty simple. I'm happy with a cold PBR, but it must be cold. I'm thinking about ordering one of these Beer - Vacuum Insulated Growlers & Pints | Hydro Flask

That 32 oz bottle would let me pour a couple of PBR's with room left for the head. They are vacuum insulated, so should keep things frosty. Pretty sure it would satisfy all my needs for keeping a brewsky cold.

Cold beer(s) on a warm evening watching the sun drop is a fine way to end the day.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 11:41   #33

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Stars above,

You really are a beer enthusiast like I've never encountered!! I'd be afraid to serve you a beer on board.

I do like beer. One of my favorite things in the Bahamas was taking a great beer to an isolated beach with my wife, she puts out her beach towel and opens a great book and I spend the next two hours wading around in the water and sun with a fantastic beer. To me, this is an essence of cruising.

BTW - I have no interest in the company so if someone thinks I am selling anything they are plain wrong.

I don't mind paying for what I think is a good product. Would I like it cheaper - sure - who would not? I can understand their criticisms but when you pay $10 a bottle for a 12 ounce beer that you have so carefully stored and packed away for a special occasion...only to have to ruined in just a minute or two in the sun...

Just under a minute of sun exposure will cause those delicate hop flavors to turn to 3-methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol. Basically skunk.

So to me - finding ways to keep beer fresh is important.

If I am going to drink beer, it's going to be great beer, it's going to be fresh, served at the correct temperature, and served in the right glass. I'm also going to sip and enjoy my beer like a fine wine.

I have already compromised on the glasses and I have not been happy with the stupid zipper style covers - the zipper seizes up and they don't cover the bottle well enough. It's the same 2 mil neoprene that's in this thing but you don't get the advantage of sun protection.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 14:25   #34
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

I got mine a few days ago too. I drink Coors Light most of the time and it seem to work very well. Kept my beer cold for the time I was drinking it.

The top has a gasket on it so it seals the bottle. The cap does not screw all the way down to the canister, but it does seal nicely on the neck.

Don't know if I would buy another one as my Sea Hawk Cozzie seems to work just as well.
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:20   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I do drink usually light Beer and do so fast.
I lived in Germany for three years and had several types of Beer delivered to my house, just like the Milkman used to do, since returning to the US, I can safely say that there is no Beer sold in the US, it's Horse urine at best, so I drink it COLD, ideal temp is when you open it and de- pressurize it slightly, it slushes up a little. Hides the taste that way.
Best Beer I had in Germany was made locally where I was by Monks, but this mass produced stuff available in the US is horrible.
I'm sure there is some excellent craft or micro brewery Beer, some decent stuff made in Savannah, just haven't found any where I am now.

I expected something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainl.../dp/B0000644AF

It's actually a vacuum sealed double wall "thermos bottle" and is outstanding for cans, but anything that is meant to keep anything cold, that itself gets cold almost immediately isn't insulating very well.

I stand by my belief that it's neat, but isn't worth nearly what it cost, at least not to me. I wanted something to keep Beer cold, and in my opinion, this doesn't do any better than a 5 mm neoprene "sock" that costs about $2.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 15:56   #36
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Not a great beer fan but on a hot day an icy cold beer does hit the spot. I do agree that most American beer should be renamed to "your horse has STD". There are Mexican beers I like but I'm only slightly aware of the better European beers.

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 16:26   #37

Boat: Gemini 3200

I saw a comparison somewhere between this and a zip-up bottle jacket. This one only kept the beer 1 degree colder after 30 minutes. Not worth the money IMHO. The thermos brand can cooler is much better and cost less.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:00   #38
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

IMO, The easiest thing to do is pour the beer in a Trevis Tumbler. Those things are awesome insulators. They have lids and if you must, a nipple could be adapted.
Old 21-09-2015, 18:21   #39

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

These work incredible, WAY better than the yeti but the yeti stainless mugs/ tumblers are awesome!!!

http://m.chillingthemost.com/?url=ht...%2ecom%2f#2776

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:39   #40

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Good grief! 30 minutes to drink a beer? The chugging and belching is part of the fun. If you go too slow there's no belching...though I guess some good IPA's do need to breath a bit.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 08:54   #41
ASD

Boat: Camargue Yacht Fisher 48ft

Well I was disappointed in the product. The company sent me a survey and I let them know how I felt. Too expensive for the performance I received and it was still in the air if it kept my beer colder longer than a regular cozy.

I received this back from the company:

Hi there,
Thanks so much for the feedback and sorry for the disappointment! If you’re not happy, we’re not happy. So I’m going to refund your order fully and ask that you keep your BottleKeeper order in hopes that you can find a way to get some use.
Thanks again for the feedback, as a very young company it’s absolutely invaluable, and please let me know if I can help any further!
Cheers!

Jocelyn Acevedo
Master Helper & Warm Beer Hater
ASD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:36   #42

Boat: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I expected something like this
Amazon.com: Thermos Stainless Steel Beverage Can Insulator for 12 Ounce Can, Gunmetal Gray: Thermo Can Coolers: Kitchen & Dining

It's actually a vacuum sealed double wall "thermos bottle" and is outstanding for cans, but anything that is meant to keep anything cold, that itself gets cold almost immediately isn't insulating very well.
We use these Thermos insulators and they keep things cold very well. Ours came with an add-on neoprene lid for bottles.

The only downside is that the double-wall insulation seems to "go" over time and then the thermos starts to sweat a bit, based on our & friends' experiences. We still like them though!

The good news for IPA beer lovers is that I've discovered to my surprise is that TONS of great beers are now offered in cans in the States these days! This makes it easier for us to store more and I was told that the quality is better as well (plastic lined so no metal & no sunlight).

Just stocked up on Loose Cannon, Sierra Nevada, Sculpin and Hop Nosh IPA cans to get us started for provisioning...
Old 25-09-2015, 13:03   #43

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
The good news for IPA beer lovers is that I've discovered to my surprise is that TONS of great beers are now offered in cans in the States these days! This makes it easier for us to store more and I was told that the quality is better as well (plastic lined so no metal & no sunlight).
Yes! and no breakage aboard.

SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 13:33   #44

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Yes! and no breakage aboard.

This is true. I hope the industry will continue to move back to cans!

Cans do rub against each other and eventually they develop holes.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 14:44   #45

Tell me something. Is there a standard size for beer bottles in the US? Because that thing just wouldn't work with a bottle that doesn't fit its 'standard'!
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beer