Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2009, 22:31   #1

2.92mm RF Connector Insulator

because of six holes on the insulator with PS material, I met a problem while assemblying the insulator with the inner contact. If I cut the insulator into halves, the insulator is so small that it is really difficult to
assembly with hand, what about molding ? Thank you!
stariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard stariver.
Although I don't know what you're talkiung about, I'm certain one of our radio guhrus will have some useful advice.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:59   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Guess I'm not a radio Guru then, 'cause I don't what this is all about. Pity really ,
'cause I thought I was a radio (RF) guru
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 08:11   #4

The inner contact quantity of 2.92mm connector(male to male adapter) should be 1pce in order to keep good electrical performance in my opinion, so how can I design the insulator structure? a) design a cutting slot on the insulator, but the insulator is easy to be damaged when I break it apart and put it on the inner contact with my hands. b) molding an insulator on the inner contact with ps material, is this method feasible?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:29   #5

OK, your are talking about an RF connector but could you describe it in some other way apart from a 2.92 mm male to male adapter. I have used a dozen or so different types of RF connectors over the last 40 years (with as many adapters) and I have not heard of a 2.92 mm connector. Of course there dozens and dozens of RF connectors I have NOT seen but in order to understand your request, could you perhaps post a photo of this adapter?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10   #6

Thank you for your reply. OK, the RF coaxial connector I talked about is also called K connector, its inner diameter of connector body is 2.92mm. The outerline looks like SMA male to SMA male adapter, and it can also be attached to SMA and 3.5mm connector. The connector body is often made of stainless steel and the plating of inner contact is gold. In order to achieve good VSWR performance in 40GHz, so I think the inner contact should be 1 piece. Maybe a part of the inner contact along the axial direction should smaller than 1.27mm to fix the insulator, I want to design 1pce insulator to support the inner contact. The outer diameter of the insulator with PS material should be more than 3.2mm, If I can assembly it with the inner contact, we can use crimping type for outer contact, but I don't know how to do it. The insulator is so small that I don't think I can do it with my hands. I once produced it with CNC, but the scrap rate is high as the material is so crisp. So not sure the processing and assembly technology of insulator is right. In any case, thank you for your sincere help.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:57   #7

Hmm... well I understand your question a whole better now but unforunately I can't offer much help. This seems to be a design / assembly / manufacturing problem (of which I have little knowledge) and my practical experience stops at 4GHz, well below your requirements - sorry.
Old 21-05-2014, 20:14   #8

Re: 2.92mm RF Connector Insulator

of course you can not cut them into half, because you will more hard to assembly, and the performance will be bad.

you need a microscope help you assembly, and this microscope demand a high quality, and then the tools and clamps, all of these are especial for assembly 2.92mm connector & adapter.
CONNOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 21:24   #9

All controlled impedance components such as cables and connectors are designed to have a distributed capacitance and inductance along the length that maintains 50 ohms in the case of the K connector you have. Any discontinuity in the impedance will compromise the VSWR and it would be very challenging to cut the center conductor supporting bead and maintain the correct capacitance at this point in the connector. Even crimping the outer conductor would change the impedance in that section as the distance between the outer and inner conductor would change and in turn change the capacitance. All this matters at 40 GHz. Without something like a network analyzer for measurements or field solver sort of modeling tools, making any change to the design of a connector at these frequencies has a very low probability of success.
HighDesertSailn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 06:43   #10

Is this the sort of tool you're looking to make? Anritsu has several expensive tools available to install them. Since you posted this on a boating forum, I assume you intend to use this on some device on your boat. What uses a K connector? SMK is designed to operate at higher frequency than SMA (>20GHz), but it begs the question: what marine device uses SMK?
El Rubio is offline   Reply With Quote