Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 07:35   #31

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: How good is the Rocna?

I've alsways liked the spade anchor ( don't have one) but felt that the prices is drastically out of line with anchors of similar performance! In fact the Spade is in most cases twice the price of most of the competition! for example the anchor I would buy for my boat (OI-41) would be in the 65lb range galv steel. from Spade that anchor is $1200 from Rocna, Mantus its much less, in fact the Mantus is just $570!

but for me I have a soft spot for the Genuine Bruce ( and a budget) so I'm trolling the interwebs for a used genuine bruce between 65-110lbs
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40   #32

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

Just purchased a 55lb Rocna for our 24,000 lb Nordic 44. This replaces a lighter 45 lb CQR. Have had the CQR come up all twisted on itself. Like the design and quality of the Rocna
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:46   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Scare tactics... lovely! Not a good way to advise someone who is looking for feedback. I tend to think that it's not your anchor that keeps you off the reef, but your experience, skills, common sense and your brain. Or would you trade all those things in for a Rocna??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I'm with Lodesman here. As a budget cruiser (which I am), the one area I would never look to save $$$ on is my anchor system. These new anchors are more expensive than the older style versions. There's a reason for that: the new gen are simply better.

Before going to our Rocna I carried both a large danforth and a large CQR on our bow. We would routinely switch between them depending on bottom. The Rocna (and I assume the other new gens as well) cover the spectrum that these two older ones did, and it does it better. I still carry a large danforth, and a smaller Bruce, along with a monster Fortress for storms. I've used the Bruce as a stern anchor and a kedge, but 95% of the time it's the Rocna alone.
Mako...see Mikes common sense post above.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:54   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a Rocna, I got it because it was the one on sale.

One thing I have not seen mentioned is if possible check the fit, not all new gen anchors will fit on all boats, roll bar seems sometimes to cause problems.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:10   #35

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Agree that all of the newer generations pretty much always outperform older designs. Went with Mantus based on pricing as performance seemed the same as Rocna and Manson, but at a better price point. Mantus gave discount after a giveaway on CF.

Has always performed great in over 250 anchoring episodes in last 18 months. Always sets fast and holds, even with reversing currents. Only time it didn't was because we accidentely piled a lot of chain on top of it. Operator error, not the anchor the anchor's fault.

AND it is American made as a bonus.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a mantus (it was on sale) and like it a lot, but as others said all the new-gen anchors are way better than the old ones and pretty similar in performance.

I'd make your choice based on if any of them are on sale near you, and which ones fit on your anchor roller.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:37   #37

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Our 25KG Rocna on our 36 ft heavy cutter is like being mooring to the ocean bottom in New England. A quantum change over all the traditional anchors that we have used. Sometimes it is actually difficult to retrieve it sets so well!

I want to get a Spade, but have not yet had a chance to use one.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:45   #38

Many have said, over the years since the new gen anchors came on the market: "It's great when the anchor pulls you off the bow when you're setting it." As in: "My old anchor would drag when I was setting it."

Lotsa truth there.

Reportedly all the new gen anchors will do just that. It's a good thing.

I sized my anchoring system for 42 knots conservatively (it should do to 60 kts.). I was anchored a week or so ago and the wind blew for 27 hours at 30 knots with higher gusts. We never moved. Dare I say I love my Rocna?

Anybody who tries to save $$ on an anchor is missing the point, as mentioned, that it IS the one piece of gear that is there to save your entire boat. By the time you get to buying a bigger Lewmar Bruce, you could have had a more manageable and lighter
new gen anchor.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57   #39

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have dragged slowly with the Rocna in soft ooze mud. I assume the M-Supreme would also drag in similar mud.
We previously sailed a lot in many places with a CQR and had good experiences with it except on coral which we only set in as a last resort. I wouldn't do it again with any gear. Not good for the coral nor peace of mind.

I just got a Rocna to replace the Bruce (which is widely popular) when it wouldn't set in a grassy set of hard mud. I don't have much experience with it but like the way it is built.

I'm not aware of any anchor that can securely anchor in soft ooze mud (like the channel in front of La Paz, or off of La Cruz in Banderas Bay, or the muddy lagoon at Barre de Navidad, all in Mexico). Everyone drug (dragged?) in those at some time in some winds, with lots of different kinds of anchors.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:09   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Soft mud, I believe surface area trumps, a big ole Danforth is likely as good as anything in soft mud
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:14   #41

Boat: Grand Banks 50

I think Rocna's are great. I currently have a Rocna 40 kg.

In the past I have had several other styles:
- Danforth copy: terrible (would not set)
- Bruce copy: not great (hard to set)
- Delta: pretty good all around
- Hall stockless: (would not hold)
- Fisherman: cool (only good one in grass)

Based on my research I also like the steel Spade and probably would have bought one had it cost the same a the Rocna rather than twice as much.

What I like most about the Rocna is how quickly and solidly it sets. To me this confirms that it will reset reliably in a wind or current change in the middle of the night.

I believe an anchor that doesn't set quickly will not re-set reliably in a wind shift, even if many times oversize.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:15   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Soft mud, I believe surface area trumps, a big ole Danforth is likely as good as anything in soft mud
Indeed, and actually better. For for some reason the similar Fortress works better than the Danforth (I have many years experience with both), but both are better than normal anchors in soft mud.

One of several good reasons to have a Fortress on board is when your regular anchor won't set in soft mud.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:47   #43

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've used both if you consider our Ultra anchor to be similar to the Spade, and much prefer the Spade style Ultra without the roll bar.

We got an Ultra last fall and have yet to give it some real work , I liked it because of its stainless construction and the lack of a roll bar.

I will post back at the first good blow .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:10   #44

Boat: Cal-40

On my Cal-40 I use the Spade S120. Its a steel 55lbs anchor with all chain rode. At this very moment its holding my vessel at anchor in French Polynesia and never once has it failed me. Most times I go for a 4-5:1 scope unless the wind kicks up a bit then I set 6:1. Yes, its true its more expensive then the others but this is due to it being made of high carbon steel and is almost impossible to bend. Without doubt these newer anchors hold much better then the generations before, I hate the 2am anchor drill parties when the wind starts to blow so its best to have less $$ in your bank and more anchor/chain grabbing the bottom when you really need it most.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:25   #45

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Realistically you also need to look at your budget. New age anchors are incredibly expensive. This is important if your budget is tight or if you are one of us who have lost anchors before .

For half the price of a Rocna you can get a hugely oversized Bruce-type or Danforth-type, or a stockless.

That's the route I took last time. Crappy Danforth copy but more than double oversized and held like a rock.

Just something to think about.
Have you looked at the price of a real CQR? Way more than a Rocna or Manson Supreme. Copies of CQR, Danforth, and Bruce are most often terrible and not nearly as good as the genuine articles are - and they are not nearly as good as the new gen anchors - I say this as as a CQR user for decades who went with a Manson for our circumnavigation.

Tags
rocna