Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 11:06   #46
Dean

Community Sponsor

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: How good is the Rocna?

Hi all, I just want to add a little here even tho I work with Mantus Anchors. I first used it and then just started telling people about it after using many of the other anchors over the years I could see the difference. Before our Mantus 65# on our 42 Hunter Passage 32000 lb. we had a Manson. In the very hard bottom of Galveston Bay we had one time the Manson did not set. I always say that was operator error. And prior anchors were Delta, Bruce, and danforh. So I just want to add that we offer a lifetime warranty. And ours can be taken apart for storage if you wanted to carry a storm or backup anchor. And we even offer a NO questions ask return policy. Also you can watch some video's if like on the Mantus website.
Mantus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:14   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Soft mud, I believe surface area trumps, a big ole Danforth is likely as good as anything in soft mud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed, and actually better. For for some reason the similar Fortress works better than the Danforth (I have many years experience with both), but both are better than normal anchors in soft mud.

One of several good reasons to have a Fortress on board is when your regular anchor won't set in soft mud.
The Fortress is precision-machined to be much sharper than a Danforth anchor which results in a razor-like effect, and in turn, faster + deeper setting into common sea bottoms.

The ability to set the Fortress at a wider shank fluke (45°) for soft mud is another key advantage, as this angle will allow for much deeper penetration and superior holding in that type of bottom condition.

Additionally, one key advantage of the Fortress / Danforth anchors, particularly in soft mud, is that with a pivoting / movable shank & flukes, there is no "right side up" when the anchor lands on a sea bottom.

As it was noted during the 60 pull tests in the soft mud of the Chesapeake Bay, a fixed-fluke anchor can land on its side or upside down in that type of bottom, and then simply sink and not be able to orient itself into the fluke downward position as it is being slowly pulled along.
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:44   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

When I save up enough coin, I want a Fortress on my bow, to replace the current Danforth
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:28   #49

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

As long as you are sailing along the Florida Panhandle stick with the Danforth (ideally the high tensile version). I have Fortress anchors on all the Walker Navy and you can drag them all over the grass in these bays around here. In sand they do great.

Having said that, I carry a big Fortress in the bilge for use during the big blow. Don't think you can beat a fluke style anchor for weight/holding in most bottom conditions, the issue is what happens when things reverse. That is where the plow style anchors can keep you off the beach/ rocks.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:49   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Sarca Excel - convex anchor that doesnt bring half the botem with it and doesnt have a roll bar. Doesnt mean any others are bad, just that the Excel is good,
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:54   #51

Boat: Great Harbour, GH47

We love our Rocna #40 Vulcan! Never slipped yet!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour Gh47
spottsvillle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:11   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

The one that holds better is better.

Rocna gets good marks from all people we know who have one. And so does Spade.

I think a Spade can be dis-assembled for storage. Rocna cannot (I believe, not sure).

Spade can be had in alloy. Rocnas are only steel ones.

Spade does not have the bar and fits all bow fittings. Rocna's bar doesn't fit in all bow configs. There is another Rocna anchor now around, this one is bar-less.

Etc.

I would pick the one that is easier to buy where you are. They are both good hooks (very good hooks, I think).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:18   #53

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

To my experience of now 60 years at sea both comercial and pleasure craft one cannot evaluate an anchor without talking about the cable.

On my 34ft -11ts steel ketch I used a 35kg Bruce as main anchor with a 10mil stainless steel chain until I came onto the Rocna in Kiwi land, in 2008. From then my main anchor in any condition was a 25kg Rocna which worked perfectly even in hurricane conditions.

NB.
To those who advocate the Fortress for soft mud I do offer the reminder that soft mud is no anchor ground.
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:22   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
The Fortress is precision-machined to be much sharper than a Danforth anchor which results in a razor-like effect, and in turn, faster + deeper setting into common sea bottoms.

The ability to set the Fortress at a wider shank fluke (45°) for soft mud is another key advantage, as this angle will allow for much deeper penetration and superior holding in that type of bottom condition...
That sounds right.

The Fortress always cuts right into the seabed even when just thrown overboard by hand -- which is a key quality for the perfect kedge anchor.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:23   #55

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The one that holds better is better.

Rocna gets good marks from all people we know who have one. And so does Spade.

I think a Spade can be dis-assembled for storage. Rocna cannot (I believe, not sure).

Spade can be had in alloy. Rocnas are only steel ones.

Spade does not have the bar and fits all bow fittings. Rocna's bar doesn't fit in all bow configs. There is another Rocna anchor now around, this one is bar-less.

Etc.

I would pick the one that is easier to buy where you are. They are both good hooks (very good hooks, I think).

b.
The main problem with the Spade is that it can be reassembled the wrong way. Then it does not bite and the vessel is liable to end up on the reef.
This happened by just forgetting to insert the safety pin in a hurry.
Cheers Michael
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 13:42   #56

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That sounds right.

The Fortress always cuts right into the seabed even when just thrown overboard by hand -- which is a key quality for the perfect kedge anchor.
Sure if you don't chop a finger off or impale yourself on a fluke. These things are a serious hazzard to move around on a pitching deck.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 14:06   #57

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

It has been proved by experience many times that sharp anchors set better than dull ones.

I have even read on this forum that some anchor makers provide specially sharpened anchors for comparative tests, in order to get better performance.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 16:37   #58

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

I'm with OReilly except our Morgan is only 20,000 lbs. After 18 years on a CQR and Bruce anchoring carefully, pulling and repulling when we drop the Rocna Vulcan 25 we need to brace ourselves for the fast set. Also, in winds to 50 knots we find we need far less scope....maybe 4 or 5: 1 where we used to be religious about 7:1 with the CQR and still dragged very occasionally.
iseadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 18:42   #59
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by iseadreamer View Post
I'm with OReilly except our Morgan is only 20,000 lbs. After 18 years on a CQR and Bruce anchoring carefully, pulling and repulling when we drop the Rocna Vulcan 25 we need to brace ourselves for the fast set. Also, in winds to 50 knots we find we need far less scope....maybe 4 or 5: 1 where we used to be religious about 7:1 with the CQR and still dragged very occasionally.
Bingo: The new generation anchors are heads and shoulders over the old.
I should know, liveaboard 31 years ago with old anchors and no experience.
Dragging all over the place with the CQRs and the Danforth's.
Could not afford insurance on the boat, Virgin Islands and hurricane season.
Steep learning curve, bigger anchor, more chain, trying to survive.
Sold the boat just before hurricane Hugo. Better be lucky than good..
Old 03-06-2016, 08:12   #60
Marine Service Provider

When selecting an anchor, research is key. The issue is that there are a lot of anchor test results to wade though. Try to key in on who is paying for the tests, what companies have reps present at the testing, and so on. Many recent tests were paid for directly by anchor manufacturers. Spade Anchor has never paid for testing and still ranks in the top.

Research what materials were used in the manufacturing process. Make sure no Chinese materials were used, as the regulations in China are non existent. This is somewhat tricky as the anchor may be made in another country but the raw materials come from China. No Chinese materials of any kind are used in the production of the Spade Anchor. The Spade Anchor is manufactured in Tunisia with all raw materials supplied from Germany and France.

Take a look at the companies warranty policies. A lifetime warranty from a company that is less than 5 years old does not have the same merit as a warranty from a company that is 25 years old. Spade Anchor has been doing business for over 26 years.

Is the anchor manufacturer an innovator or just a copy? If the company just blatantly rips off designs, then they are very prone to cut corners in manufacturing. Spade Anchor is one of the first concave new generation anchors. Spade anchor is the only anchor available that features a no roll bar design, concave fluke, with a true lead ballast.

Ask your insurance company! Take a look at insurance reports due to an anchor failure. Most anchor companies have over a 100 claims a year due to its failure. Spade Anchor has 1 in 26 years and that claim was unresolved.

How much value do you put on the safety of you and your crew? When your caught in an unexpected gale, the wind and rain crashing down on you while you can barely see your hands and have to drop the hook, at that time do you want to be thinking "I saved $249 on this anchor"?
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna