Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 10:03   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Anchoring: What am I doing wrong?

So far we've established that everyone thnks they're right. I suggest sticking to the facts and your own experiences, skip the hyperbole and pretend you value others opinions at least for the duration of this thread otherwise I can't see a reason to keep it open.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 10:07   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

everyone has what works for them..now is up to you to find what does work for you-- please do not drag down onto me-- my feo brick has scuffs of dirt and i could not tolerate any shiney paintmarks on her feo hull....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 11:30   #48

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Back to the OP, you really aren't doing anything wrong, although I've heard that the Fortress anchors are more likely to set on a firm bottom if you start at 3 or 4:1 scope. Your experience is like many who use Danforth style anchors--great in a straight line, but can be unreliable when wind or current reverses--I have also had my chain foul the anchor when this happens.

You will be much happier with the Rocna 10. It will set easier and reset more reliably, and the chain will not foul it. Keep the Fortress for when you need a second anchor. You do not need an all-chain rode unless you anchor in rocks or coral.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 12:42   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
You better try your conversion again.

13 pounds = 5.9KG. Not enough to hold a fly to sticky-paper.

Thats the weight of 2 gallons of Gassoline.

And without chain....

well, its your boat.

I reversed the lbs and kg. Thanks for pointing that out.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 12:57   #50
Sponsoring Vendor

Shrew,

A few quick performance notes:

1. Please be sure to permanently install the Mud Palms on your FX-11, which were included with the anchor when you bought it. The Mud Palms will lift up the back end of the anchor so that the flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom, which in turn will force the FX-11 to set faster.

2. As Kettlewell stated, if you anticipate a wind shift, then it is safest to set two anchors if at all possible. Below is an animated gif to show you how this can be done:

http://www.cruising.sailingcourse.co...wo_anchors.gif

3. There has been much discussion about Danforth type of anchors not re-setting during a wind shift. This is entirely possible due to the limitations of sailboats to "Power Set" the anchors and bury them deeply by backing down hard on them.

The precision-machined and sharpened Fortress will head straight for China under heavy loads and will be difficult to pull out no matter what the direction of the wind, IF it has been first forced to bury deeply into the sea bottom by motor or wind.

Once this has been accomplished, then the two massive flukes of this anchor type will provide greater resistance to breaking loose versus a plow type with a single narrow fluke.

Evidence of this can be seen from the straight pull and 90° & 180° veering tests that were done by The Sailing Foundation years ago. In these tests, they first did a straight pull of a Fortress FX-37 to the maximum of 4,000+ lbs, which obviously buried the anchor among fossils and dinosaur bones, and then they pulled 4,000+ lbs again at 90° and 180° angles......and the 22lb / 10kg FX-37 (similar in weight to your Rocna 10) never budged.

No other much heavier anchor in this test came close to holding nearly that much in any direction. According to a chart that they provided on the site, 4,000+ lbs is the force a 66-ft sailboat would encounter in 63 knots of wind.

1995 Anchor Study

Again, in the case of wind shifts, two anchors is better than one if at all possible, if not, then upsize to a larger anchor than the standard recommendation.

Be safe,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 13:04   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if ye dont want 100 ft of chain to anchor securely, then dont complain about dragging at anchor. dont have to stash anchor and chain in bow-- think about it-- there are many places in a boat--even a planing boat, in which to carry that weight, and some places even help the planing. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
everyone has what works for them..now is up to you to find what does work for you-- please do not drag down onto me-- my feo brick has scuffs of dirt and i could not tolerate any shiney paintmarks on her feo hull....
Uh...OK. Surely you're not yelling at ME. Not really sure what has got you all fired up. Whatever it is, allow me to apologize?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 15:04   #52

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha Shrew,
I think you'll do well with the Rocna. Far better than with the light Fortress. I think you are doing all things right for setting the anchor and I'd like to know how the results are once you've done a few more anchor drills.
The Fortress would be good for a backup and for a lunch hook.
kind regards,
Old 23-06-2011, 15:30   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Holy hell, I hope like *&%&^ a few of the posters here never anchor in the same bay as me. And I bet a large pile of cold beers (yes that serious) many would be dragging inside 2 mins if they came down here.

And to give some nitemears - One of my main boats (yeah I have a few) is 32ft, a real one with mast and sails, sails around like a mad women on Crack while at anchor and is around 7000lbs. My anchor is a 4kg alloy one followed by 45ft of 1/4" chain and 200 odd of 12mm warp (polyester, it's better than nylon)..
Well I hope like *&%&^ you don't anchor in the same bay as me using a 4 Kg anchor to hold a 32' boat, no matter what kind of alloy it's made of. I will accept your statement that you have weathered 50 kt winds with that setup but would not want to be downwind of you when it's blowing to test that.

To anchor you come to a stop, throw it over and go for a beer? Don't set it or test it at all? Definitely don't want to be downwind of you even if it's not blowing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:10   #54

It's like sitting in a room of old, half-deaf men.
Old 23-06-2011, 17:12   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
speak up sonny I cant hear you
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:12   #56
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Eh?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:13   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
who have never anchored .....(ducks and rolls)

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:56   #58

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post

Opposing wind and tide and/or/ multiple current reversals which you said you experienced will wrap the chain around a Danforth type anchor and pull it out.

I use one for a strern hook when needed for bow and stern anchoring, but they are not a good choice when you have the above conditions as we usually do in the PNW.

Around here, I am happy with my Bruce knockoff and a boatlength of chain followed by rode.
I agree. You need an anchor that stays set or resets readily to handle current changes, such as the Bruce-likes, plows, and similar more-modern designs.
Old 23-06-2011, 18:27   #59

The problem I have found with the Fortress and lots of chain is sometimes the chain gets to the bottom before the anchor does which causes the anchor to have a hard time getting set. It just lays on the bottom and never gets properly set. I started using my Fortress as a stern anchor and have gone to the Delta as my primarily. It hooks up faster and holds much better especially when you have opposing tide and winds.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:37   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Plain, simple anchoring formula.....
Buy any anchor that suits your fancy, but first look at the Manufacturer's recommended size for your boat....... Then DOUBLE IT and add AT LEAST one boat length of chain.... Again the next size up from what is recommended.

Now look for the right bottom, or select the best type of anchor for the specific bottom. I carry a bronze 25# Barnham plow, a Fortress FX-23, a Guardian "lunch hook" and a "disposable" steel Danforth knock off. My primary rode is 60' of high test 3/8 and 300' of 5/8 nylon. Secondary is 600' of 1/2" nylon, and the lunch carries 50' of 5/8".... I have a 28' boat that weighs 7k pounds.

I keep the plow set as primary only because the Fortress is too big for my anchor davit. Other than the lunch hook, I cannot remember the last time I dragged anchor.

Tags
anchor, anchoring