Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2022, 22:55   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Using a ball weight on the anchor chain

On my 12T boat I have a 22kg vulcan and there is a 10k ball weight with a carabiner in the lazarette locker. We are expecting some heavy winds and I want to utilize the ball weight. What is the best practice for using the weight? Where on the chain should it be placed?
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2022, 23:12   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Using a ball weight on the anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
On my 12T boat I have a 22kg vulcan and there is a 10k ball weight with a carabiner in the lazarette locker. We are expecting some heavy winds and I want to utilize the ball weight. What is the best practice for using the weight? Where on the chain should it be placed?
Hi, what you describe is called a kellett and they are generally acknowledged as fairly useless, very few persist with them.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 00:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hi, what you describe is called a kellett and they are generally acknowledged as fairly useless, very few persist with them.
Also sometimes known as a sentinel or angel

Kellets alegedly server two main purposes:
1. Improve the angle of the anchor shank.
2. To provide additional shock absorption.

For the first, you need the kellet close to the anchor.
For the scond you need it midway between the anchor and the bow.

A 10kg kellet on a 12T boat will make minimal difference in strong winds. If you've got a chain rode, you would be better of increasing your scope
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 01:39   #4

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

Fairly useless indeed. In strong winds the anchor chain (or rode, doesn't matter) is completely taut, no kellett / sentinel / angel with any practical weight will change that. If you want to improve your storm anchoring tactics, increase the scope (i.e. longer rope or chain).
Old 14-07-2022, 05:02   #5

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

OK guys, thanks for the clear (and all agreeing) answer. Maybe I will use it for weight training one day
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 05:39   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The best use for a kellet is bopping manatees. Check in with Manateeman, AKA Mark, for the proper procedure.
Old 14-07-2022, 05:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I agree with the above, particularly as storm preparation - useless. I do have one use for a kellet - avoiding keel wrap and some anchor sailing in light winds. After dropping appropriate scope for expected winds, drop a kellet at just over the water depth and it will keep the rode vertical under your boat, before going out to the anchor.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 14:46   #8

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Better to have a Nylon snubber attached to the chain to absorb shock.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 15:47   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I doubt most of the nay-sayers ever used a kellet, or if they did, used in in the wrong place. A kellet should NEVER be close to an anchor, and it should be one third to one half of the scope which should be as normal. The idea of a kellet to decrease scope is not a sound practice, tandem anchoring would be better--but I have used kellets on Bahamian sets and ridden out TWO cyclones with them--on an all chain rode of course.

Keep it handy--it is a nonsense to say these life-savers do not work. If one has insufficient chain for an all-chain rode of sufficient scope, a kellet at the end or close to the end of the chain before the nylon is attached is essential.

Bad advice will drown you.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 17:16   #10

Boat: C&C

Totally agree with Mr Banks, when used properly they are a great asset. We used a Kiwi anchor rider I think it is called for 10 plus years in The Bahamas on our cat. It was easy to use. It can't hurt you to try it.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 01:26   #11

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I doubt most of the nay-sayers ever used a kellet, or if they did, used in in the wrong place.
Assumptions...
Did you take a look at your chain during these storms? I can guarantee that it was in a near straight line between the bow roller and the anchor. The pulling force is enormous, no kellet (apart from hundres of kilo's) will be able to pull the chain down but a small amount. Remember, the weight under water is less than above, mr. Archimedes told us that
Old 15-07-2022, 05:50   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Used one regularly during heavy blows. Until a boat at anchor in front of us started to slide down toward us. Very difficult to get that weight off the chain and onto the deck while the boat is bucking in the big chop. Ended up just tieing a fender and long line to it and dropping it. Picked it up the next day and sold it at the first boat jumble that came along.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 06:19   #13

Assumptions...
Did you take a look at your chain during these storms? I can guarantee that it was in a near straight line between the bow roller and the anchor. The pulling force is enormous, no kellet (apart from hundres of kilo's) will be able to pull the chain down but a small amount. Remember, the weight under water is less than above, mr. Archimedes told us that
Old 15-07-2022, 06:21   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It has been clearly demonstrated that a kellet looses any benefit during a storm, while an equal weight added to the anchor becomes more beneficial as wind increases. Same goes for chain weight.

Of course there is a wide range of conditions where these are beneficial, incl. 30+ kts of wind conditions. But even then, setting 10kg more in chain scope is better than adding a 10kg kellet.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 06:38   #15

Of course there is a wide range of conditions where these are beneficial, incl. 30+ kts of wind conditions. But even then, setting 10kg more in chain scope is better than adding a 10kg kellet.
Actually that's the best time to use one, as it helps dampen the sudden tugs which could possibly pop the anchor out if not set properly. Unless you dive your's and other anchors a lot you'll see that most aren't dug in properly.

2 instances where I found the pellet to be real beneficial is in big swings of the wind and in cramped anchoring locations. It really helps in allowing the anchor to turn when the wind does 180's etc. just before a change in weather and blows. In limited space anchoring it really helps. Of course in real heavy blows the more the chain the better, or better yet another anchor.
The OP stated heavy winds, but how heavy? Why not put it out, can't hurt!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor