SARCA Excel 16 3.16%
Super SARCA 4 0.79%
Manson Boss 4 0.79%
Plastimo Kobra 6 1.19%
Bugel 5 0.99%
Super Max 1 0.20%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 15:09   #106
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Anchor Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The SARCA Excel looks like a fancy Dela anchor. Have not seen any of those in the USA. This anchor has a convex plow blade design

Looks like the Cruising Forum members like concave blade shaped anchors like the Mason and Rocna which are really the same design with 64 votes total so far
I'd not be fooled by what an Excel looks like. And like Presidential pre election Polls, I'd be wary of poll results.

J
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:12   #107

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Uncle Bob,

As long as the SARCA Excel works for you then thats all that matters.

I will say from experience that convex plow blade anchor designs usually come up clean or a dip or two takes the mud off easily.

The concave blade shaped anchors hold on to the mud and you have to drive a bit with the anchor in the water to get the mud off.

I have had a CQR a Delta and now a Rocna. The Rocna is the only anchor I have not dragged with "YET". Have had it four years now.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:32   #108

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Uncle Bob,

As long as the SARCA Excel works for you then thats all that matters.

I will say from experience that convex plow blade anchor designs usually come up clean or a dip or two takes the mud off easily.

The concave blade shaped anchors hold on to the mud and you have to drive a bit with the anchor in the water to get the mud off.

I have had a CQR a Delta and now a Rocna. The Rocna is the only anchor I have not dragged with "YET". Have had it four years now.
Hi I did mention that th excel is heavier than the rocna ( which in hindsight may be undersized) but so far I am pleased with the excell in soft mud, but I guess time will tell.
BTW the rocna is still on board and I am not badmouthing it at all.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 15:56   #109

The poll fails to mention or weight the number of years that the voter has used the anchor they are voting for. Wouldn't this have some bearing on the result?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:27   #110

Boat: CORBIN 39

45 lb. CQR 150 ft. 3/8 chain, 22 lb HT Danforth 250 ft. chain, nylon combo. seems to work fine in Great Lakes
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 16:34   #111

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
The poll fails to mention or weight the number of years that the voter has used the anchor they are voting for. Wouldn't this have some bearing on the result?
This poll only shows a snap shot in time of what people are buying and using. They tell you what the current anchoring trend is.

A few years ago it would have been different and in the next few years it will change again.

Anchoring is getting to be a very competitive sport.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:32   #112
cruiser

Quote:
This poll only shows a snap shot in time of what people are buying and using. They tell you what the current anchoring trend is.

A few years ago it would have been different and in the next few years it will change again.

Anchoring is getting to be a very competitive sport.
If you read anchor threads on this and other forum there are reptitive stories, almost identical in wording saying

'We use a Supreme, Excel, Rocna or whatever and we were in this anchorage and there were 10 other boats using ploughs or Bruces and we were the only ones not to drag'

So where is it reflected that these statements are correct in the poll? Either people make up the stories, which I doubt, or the poll does not reflect anyhting except

People who buy Rocnas, Supremes and Excels etc contribute to forum and people who use ploughs, bruces etc do not contribute (as much).

Fortress, Danforth, Lewmar with its CQR and Delta have been successfully selling their product for decades, where are the votes, or do people simply buy them as decoration?

The poll is a snapshot of the people reading anchor threads on CF - nothing more and it might be that people who buy modern concave anchors have a greater subconscious desire to post - might make an interesting study for someone with time on their hands.
Old 05-12-2012, 00:01   #113
cruiser

Quote:
JonJo,

Don't believe every thing you think.
You only get one vote no matter how many times you log in.
The votes are based on CF members not location on the planet.
I think I can have 5 identities with gmail, I can have one with my local Oz provider, I could subscribe to a number of providers (some offering more idnetities), local ones in Oz and lots of international ones. If I were an anchor maker I could have multiple identities and skew the results, in my favour. Though I'd need to be slightly sharper than me to keep up with it all, or really strong motivation, like money! It would look good (all those votes) and with a moderator suggesting academic excellence (of the poll) I could become a world killer (in anchors).

Might have happened before, could easily happen again

Sadly I'm not an anchor maker, just slightly cynical.

J
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
I think I can have 5 identities with gmail, I can have one with my local Oz provider, I could subscribe to a number of providers (some offering more idnetities), local ones in Oz and lots of international ones. If I were an anchor maker I could have multiple identities and skew the results, in my favour. Though I'd need to be slightly sharper than me to keep up with it all, or really strong motivation, like money!
CF members are only permitted one name under the forum rules, so you only get one vote.
Multiple identifies and are generally easily picked up. Certainly any widespread fraud like this would be detected and would reflect very badly on the manufacturer.

Don't worry about too much corruption in the results, but the poles are in no way a proper scientific undertaking. The people that respond to them are people with an interest in anchoring, so the results don't reflect what most boat owners are doing.
However I think a result which reflects what people with an an interest and knowledge (yes even the ones still using a CQR ) of anchoring are using is probably ultimately more useful and interesting.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46   #115

New Zealand made 35lb Rocna, bought new in 2007.

For 33ft 11,000 lb yacht.

Dragged once in about 5 metres water, 6 to 1 scope, maybe 40-50 knot winds. (Two automated weather stations in neighborhood, one 10 miles to north recording 56 knots, another 20 miles to NW recording 66 knots)

Tight situation. probably not enough scope, but wind change gave not much searoom either.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:04   #116

Quote:
Fortress, Danforth, Lewmar with its CQR and Delta have been successfully selling their product for decades, where are the votes, or do people simply buy them as decoration?
People who know how to anchor use whatever anchor (even CQR's!) and don't have any big problem. These people are probably are not interested in anchor threads.

People who worry endlessly about anchoring or have problems with technique probably spend much time thinking it is the anchor rather than their technique. They are more apt to buy the latest hype'd product and follow the threads.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 16:47   #117
cruiser

For an anchor that is not included in the poll this thread has an unusually large number of 'hits'?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1102938

Odd really
Old 11-12-2012, 16:54   #118

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
For an anchor that is not included in the poll this thread has an unusually large number of 'hits'?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1102938

Odd really

Agreed.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 17:26   #119
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Yeah. Now that would be a good thread topic--how do I get the mud off my Rocna? Never had to worry about that with the Delta or the Bruce, but the Rocna seems to want to keep its mud forever. I've driven around with it barely submerged for a few minutes without it clearing at all.
Old 11-12-2012, 17:31   #120

35# CQR 35' 15,000 displacement. bought second hand two years ago from someone local who circumnavigated with it and said he slept well. He got a bigger boat and now uses a 70# CQR as his primary, I think for a 45'

I have not dragged yet with it, I rode out only a couple of blows with it, all in mud bottoms, plenty of scope.

Advice I have been given is to give the anchor 10 minutes to sink in before backing down. I guess the appeal of some new generation anchors is a more immediate set. In a pinch, you don't have 10 minutes to achieve good holding, so I see the appeal...
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, poll