SARCA Excel 16 3.16%
Super SARCA 4 0.79%
Manson Boss 4 0.79%
Plastimo Kobra 6 1.19%
Bugel 5 0.99%
Super Max 1 0.20%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2013, 17:49   #286

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Is it a genuine CQR that is rusty? They do tend to rust on the point, but I never had any major issues other than there. Some of the knock-off designs aren't too well made, and often don't hold as well either.
YA it is genuine with all the proper markings. Rusty yuck. Can I get a new one with the warranty? Post a pic tomorrow.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:57   #287

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Anchor Poll

I have a feeling you wouldn't get anywhere on a warranty if the anchor is more than a year old, but who knows? Can't hurt to ask. Maybe West Marine would take it back if you bought it there. There is cold galvanizing paint you could use to paint it. I used to use left over white paint on my CQRs and it made them a lot easier to see on the bottom, and lasted surprisingly well.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:32   #288

Boat: PETERSON 44
Damn damn ill let it sit on the lawn
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:36   #289
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

You can have anchors re-galvanized, and chain for that matter. Thought my old Bruce only has a few rust spots (but it was made by Lewmar). My Forfjord (made under the name of DAVIS Sea hook) is well over 30 years old with a light "patina" and no rust, it has spent most of it's life lashed to the boom gallows as storm anchor, when not in the water......maybe it is something to do with the galvanization process, maybe it was just better 30 years ago (hot dipped?)....but manufacturers wouldn't allow an inferior method just to save money....nah.
Old 14-03-2013, 10:52   #290
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

"Rustoleum" uses fish oil as one of it's ingredients and i have known people to use it (succesfully) on iron ballast. Spray paint is cheap....touching up a rusted anchor is easy. As far as what you said about your CQR, it explains why I have seen so many painted CQRs over the years. If you want to get really fancy, there is spray on chrome.
Old 14-03-2013, 18:31   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
"Rustoleum" uses fish oil as one of it's ingredients and i have known people to use it (succesfully) on iron ballast. Spray paint is cheap....touching up a rusted anchor is easy. As far as what you said about your CQR, it explains why I have seen so many painted CQRs over the years. If you want to get really fancy, there is spray on chrome.
Sounds like your baiting the hook.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 12:08   #292

Boat: Nauticat 52, 1981

45 kg Ultra as primary and 40 kg CQR as secondary for our 25.000 kg boat.
Keyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 11:49   #293

Boat: Sabre 28

Raya 800 is the primary, also have a Raya Tempest 400 as a lunch hook and an original Bruce 7.5kg on board as well.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 14:32   #294

Boat: own design double ender strip planked fiberglassed

I doubt there is a perfect anchor that works everywhere. To quote the late Yogi Berra: "You can observe a lot by just watching". I pay particular attention to what the local commercial boats use. Pleasure boats that are seldom used are less meaningful. I think these poll numbers are skewed in favor of the types that have been around the longest.

Another thing to consider is where an anchor was developed. I don't doubt CQRs work well in Scotland. The FOB probably works well in France. I have both of those and can tell you they definitely don't work everywhere. Forfjord anchors are made in Seattle and work well in the Pacific Northwest. Haven't had one but the fishermen use them.

My favorite anchor is a Sarca which I picked up in Australia, and for a long time I thought I had the anchoring game totally beat. Until I got to the east coast of the US, where none of my 4 anchors (no 4 is a Northhill) have been 100% reliable. I gather from chatting up the locals that the best thing for Chesapeake goop is the Fortress. And surprise surprise, where is that made? Would you believe the east coast of the US? Lots of fluke area to grab lots of goo.

I just installed an electric windlass so can handle something bigger, so once again I'm shopping for a new anchor. I have no doubt a Mantus works superbly in Texas. Fortress is made even closer to where I am now. I'm sure they would both serve me well. Decisions decisions. Maybe both?

BTW I read this entire thread and checked out the Jambo. Never saw a video of an anchor digging into a lawn like that before. No doubt it would be great in the Med (its European).
RobertLeask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 21:51   #295

Boat: Farrier F-22
Send a message via Skype™ to fugue137

Any interest in re-doing this poll, adding questions sort of like this:

"How many times have you anchored with this anchor?"
"How often has your anchor failed to set quickly on the first try?"
"How often has your anchor dragged after setting, without a wind/current change of direction?"
"How often has your anchor dragged after setting, with a wind/current change of direction?"

...or something along those lines? Might be difficult to find just the right set of questions, but might be really interesting! Suggestions for how to concisely capture the relevant information? I wouldn't expect e.g. people with Excels vs CQRs to have the same setting techniques/anchorages/rode/snubbers/etc (I'd guess there are correlations between caring deeply about technique and caring deeply about equipment upgrades), but not sure it would make sense to even try to wrap a survey around such qualitative nuance...
fugue137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 22:10   #296

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, fugue137,

Nice to see this old thread resurrected.

You'll want to learn about the bottoms, too, anchor weight and what the boat displaces, and SCOPE. If you have not already seen them, there are two very interesting anchor threads on CF: Photographs of Anchors Setting started by noelex77 and Videos of Anchors Setting, by Panope.

Those of us with long term cruising backgrounds have anchored in bottoms unfamiliar to us, to have them reveal themselves to us. Most anchors set pretty well in firm sand and mud. It is when you get loose mud that failures are most likely.

Most new generation anchors will do a good job. I think I'd be interested to try a Sarca, though, if we were going to get a new anchor.

You could also start a new thread. With a poll. It's been a while.

Ann
Old 17-10-2020, 07:46   #297

I have no preference in brand. I keep it simple.

any spade anchor but go with a size up to what the manufacture suggests.

and

All Chain.

Uncensoredsailing
tolip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, poll