Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 19:22   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Thru hull counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I assume you have no inboard engines then?

You assume correctly.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 21:10   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
We obviously have different things we expect from our boats.

If my boat "sprung a leak" EVER, it would ALWAYS be a problem. Springing a leak a "few times?" WTF? Totally NOT acceptable!

My boat's FIRST job and far and away its most important is keeping the ocean on the outside--always. Fortunately for my mental health, it seems to be doing that job a lot better than your boat does.

Maybe you need to inspect and change hose clamps more often and/or use better clamps?
Judging by your response, you seem a little too paranoid about leaks to be enjoying your boat. Stuff happens. How many modern conveniences do you have onboard? How many through hulls?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 21:28   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I’ve got 16 below water....... 5 in each head which personally I think is crazy. I am going to go on a mission to eliminate next year when I start relaxing them all......

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 21:51   #19

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

One standpipe for the anchor locker and head sink drain plus sterntubes for the rudder (also as a standpipe) and propeller shaft. If someone needs sea water I recommend using a bucket ;D
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 22:29   #20

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

2 on our 60 fter.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 23:32   #21

4, two in each hull. Water in, waste etc, out.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 01:33   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

My previous boat started with two, one in and one out, but I pumped the loaded toilet out one day with the single large overboard closed and subsequently decided that I would have to separate the toilet overboard so ended up with three.

I did cater to my excessive concern re hull penetrations by having a solid standpipe which protruded well above the water line though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 02:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I think that trying to reduce the vulnerability of a boat to taking on water is very worthwhile. From a boatbuilder’s perspective it is easier and cheaper (especially if they use brass seacocks) to simply install a through hull next to an appliance, wherever it is needed. This is rarely the best approach.

However, there are also some drawbacks to very a minimum number of openings. This results in long hose runs. The hose is the most vulnerable component. It will deteriorate with age and be subject to chafe and damage. A leak in a hose even if a long way from the opening and importantly even if the hose loops above the waterline, can still sink the boat from a siphon.

Reducing the number of holes in the bottom of a boat is a worthwhile goal, but the safest option is not always the one with the least number of holes.

Some options worth considering:
Sea-chests:
But this does not necessarily mean just one inlet and one outlet.
Standpipes:
These raise the seacock above the waterline, so a leaking seacock or hose connection will not sink the boat.
PVC pipe:
Rather than using hose to move fluids around the boat, PVC pipe does not deteriorate or smell, but it can be broken (with difficulty). Also, it does not like vibration so is not always better than hose, but the lack of deterioration removes a major weakness if it is used sensibly.
Toilet inlet:
The toilet is vulnerable area. Fresh water flushing helps, composting toilets are even better.
Siphon breaks:
These are not just for the engine and toilet.
Watertight areas:
Installing inlets or outlets in a waterproof lazarette or waterproof forward locker can be a good solution.

Finally, don’t forget the other openings. The rudder in particular is a very large opening. Installing a coffer dam can significantly reduce the possibility of water ingress that is difficult to control.

So don’t just think about the number of holes in the system, but the system as a whole .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 04:45   #24

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have 0 thruhulls on our 38’ catamaran. Also no metal below the waterline.
Same here absolutely no thru hulls below the waterline and no metal or zinc's.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 04:50   #25
cruiser

I’m with noelex 77 on this one, it’s not a contest to see who can have the fewest through hull fittings. As long as the fittings are Naval bronze or Marelon and won’t deteriorate, the double hoseclamps are stainless, hoses are in good shape and the boat is protected by a good bilge pump system backed up by redundancy... who cares how many through hulls are present? It’s something I don’t spend a nano second worrying about.
Old 17-10-2018, 04:51   #26
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I’m with noelex 77 on this one, it’s not a contest to see who can have the fewest through hull fittings. As long as the fittings are Naval bronze or Marelon and won’t deteriorate, the double hoseclamps are stainless, hoses are in good shape and the boat is protected by a good bilge pump system backed up by redundancy... who cares how many through hulls are present.

The less thruhulls the less maintenance and overall the safer the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-10-2018, 04:55   #27
cruiser

Quote:
The less thruhulls the less maintenance and overall the safer the boat.

I disagree. We enjoy the modern convenieces afforded by the thru hull fittings. It’s not a contest. Come to think of it, I’ve never even heard of an Oyster sinking due to having too many thru hull fittings.
Old 17-10-2018, 04:57   #28
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I disagree. We enjoy the modern convenieces afforded by the thru hull fittings. It’s not a contest.

There is no disagreement to what I said. Having modern conveniences doesn't make your thruhulls safer than none.

Old 17-10-2018, 05:03   #29
cruiser

Quote:
There is no disagreement to what I said. Having modern conveniences doesn't make your thruhulls safer than none.

So how does your bilge pump work? Maybe having more conveniences makes the boat safer overall, since crew will be more comfortable and well-rested.

Personally, I couldn’t care any less about how many thru hull fittings another boat has.
Old 17-10-2018, 05:11   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Totally don't understand why you need so many thruhulls below the waterline. We started out with 22 and are now down to 7

forward head sink
anchor wash down
galley sink
2 cockpit scuppers
engine intake
aft head sink

The other 15 have all been glassed in permanently! Took a few yards of 1708 and a couple of gallons of epoxy to do! The 2 in the keel area alone took 15 layers each!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, thru hull