Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 05:12   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Thru hull counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
So how does your bilge pump work? Maybe having more conveniences makes the boat safer overall, since crew will be more comfortable and well-rested.

Personally, I couldnít care any less about how many thru hull fittings another boat has.

Bilge pump thruhull is placed well above the waterline. If you want a comfortable well-rested crew then buy a catamaran[emoji1303][emoji8]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:39   #32

Prompted me to count them:

1 Head intake
1 Head discharge
1 Galley discharge
1 AC intake
1 Engine intake

I would count the 2 scuppers, as they are under water for the most part. I don't think they would actually allow water into the boat if the pipes failed, though, except just a bit from waves.

Then there are (of course) 2 transducers. Why two? Well one doesn't work so there isn't much reason! Not my idea

So technically 9 for a 37' boat, but they are all fairly accessible and surveyed.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:55   #33
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
"Seachest" was the term I couldn't remember -- thanks. Seems like a great solution and makes me wonder why more boats don't have them built in. If part of the design process I wouldn't think it would add a lot of mfg. costs but I could be wrong. I would also think it'd be quite difficult to install retroactively, but perhaps not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Underwater thruhull #1 is a seachest that supplies raw water to the engine, genset, watermaker, and two AC cooling pumps. All this is contained in the watertight engine room compartment.

Underwater thruhull #2 feeds raw water to the forward head toilet and the anchor/deck wash down pump.

Underwater thruhull #3 feeds raw water to the aft head toilet.

Forward head toilet gravity discharges from the holding tank at water line. As does the aft head toilet.

Head and galley sinks, clothes washer, shower pans, and bilge drain to a sump, where a diaphragm pump disharges overboard to thruhull above the waterline shared with the two AC cooling loop discharges, watermaker reject line, and manual bilge pump.

Engine, and genset exhaust discharge above the water line as well.

I might have missed something, but you get the idea. If NOT putting holes in the bottom of the boat is a priority, it CAN be done.
poPo9090 pp
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:58   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Bilge pump thruhull is placed well above the waterline. If you want a comfortable well-rested crew then buy a catamaran[emoji1303][emoji8]
I don't want one, catamarans make my wife and I seasick from their jerky motion.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 06:02   #35

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
So how does your bilge pump work? Maybe having more conveniences makes the boat safer overall, since crew will be more comfortable and well-rested.
Bilge pumps should drain above the waterline. We are only talking about below the waterline thru hulls here so there may be some confusion.

It is possible to design a boat with all the comforts of a home on land and have no thru hulls. That's what we did.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 06:07   #36
smj

Quote:
I don't want one, catamarans make my wife and I seasick from their jerky motion.

And I donít want your boat with all the creature comforts, thruhulls and maintenance involved. We agree on something[emoji1303]
Old 17-10-2018, 12:49   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have 0 thruhulls on our 38í catamaran. Also no metal below the waterline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Same here absolutely no thru hulls below the waterline and no metal or zinc's.
Carbon fiber rudderposts?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:05   #38
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

Yes carbon fiber
Old 17-10-2018, 13:07   #39

Quote:
My C25 had no metal in the rudder!
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:25   #40

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Yes, carbon fiber
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 13:56   #41

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Interesting - could you list the 3 through holes you have and how all the internal equipment must share some of the ports both in and out. When ports are shared they usually need check valves to prevent one device robbing water flow from another. Also you might not want to share your water maker inlet with a head inlet irrespective of check valve efficiency.

On face value if each device has its own supply then through hulls would normally be:

2 inputs for 2 heads

2 exits for 2 heads
1 input for generator
1 input for water maker
1 input for wash down
1 input for engine cooling
1 input for each conditioner
_

I guess to get the number down one could install composting or chemical cassette type heads, an air cooled generator, use an outboard, a rainman type water maker with an inlet hose over the side and same for wash down pump - then you would have zero through hulls below the water line.

I agree that 28 seems high for a 48 ft monohull - must have a lot of heads and airconditioners.
Must be a Bristol thing. We had 17 including 4 cockpit drains and we didn't have a/c and combined a couple of other inlets.
Old 17-10-2018, 14:29   #42

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Thru hull counts

11 plus rudder and speed transducer. Two heads, watermaker. Some doubled or tripled use.

This winter not only will the annual sea cock inspection happen but all hoses will be pulled and barbs and nipples inspected.

Even with good bronze sea cocks bad barbs and nipples may be installed.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 16:18   #43

Quote:
Judging by your response, you seem a little too paranoid about leaks to be enjoying your boat. Stuff happens. How many modern conveniences do you have onboard? How many through hulls?
You talked about having "a few" times when you have had hose clamps fail and water come into the boat. That is either bad design or bad maintenance or both. It is simply unacceptable to me, I don't care how many thruhulls you have. You seem to feel this is a normal part of boating. It is NOT.

You don't need to justify your boat to us. It is safe enough for you. That is all that matters. Everybody has different risk profiles they are comfortable with.

And, yes, I AM paranoid about water coming into my boat. Because I am paranoid, it doesn't happen.

What does this paranoia look like? It means replacing every hose connected to a through hull every 5 years, no matter what they look like. Using two, sold band hose clamps on each seawater fitting and replacing them every time the hoses are changed. It means exercising each seacock every month. It means making sure there is full and easy access to every seacock onboard. It means lubricating each seacock on every haul out. It means making sure my bonding circuit is connected and zincs are renewed. It means having a full isolation transformer so when I plug into a marina's power supply I am isolated from the other boats around me. It means inspecting, touching, looking.

The good thing about being paranoid about leaks is I CAN enjoy my boat and sleep like a baby knowing they will not happen even (especially!) when I am hundreds of miles from help.

How many modern conveniences on my boat?
  1. watermaker
  2. genset
  3. clothes laundry
  4. two heads with showers
  5. salt wash down pump
  6. two, separate, water cooled AC units
  7. main drive engine (of course)...

There are many more, those are just the ones that use water.

I have three underwater thruhulls, plus two fully glassed in cockpit scuppers. All other hull penetrations are discharges either at or well above the water line.

I am sure you have many additional conveniences that justify needing over 20 holes in your boat. I just can't think what they might be.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 18:19   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
You talked about having "a few" times when you have had hose clamps fail and water come into the boat. That is either bad design or bad maintenance or both. It is simply unacceptable to me, I don't care how many thruhulls you have. You seem to feel this is a normal part of boating. It is NOT.

You don't need to justify your boat to us. It is safe enough for you. That is all that matters. Everybody has different risk profiles they are comfortable with.

And, yes, I AM paranoid about water coming into my boat. Because I am paranoid, it doesn't happen.

What does this paranoia look like? It means replacing every hose connected to a through hull every 5 years, no matter what they look like. Using two, sold band hose clamps on each seawater fitting and replacing them every time the hoses are changed. It means exercising each seacock every month. It means making sure there is full and easy access to every seacock onboard. It means lubricating each seacock on every haul out. It means making sure my bonding circuit is connected and zincs are renewed. It means having a full isolation transformer so when I plug into a marina's power supply I am isolated from the other boats around me. It means inspecting, touching, looking.

The good thing about being paranoid about leaks is I CAN enjoy my boat and sleep like a baby knowing they will not happen even (especially!) when I am hundreds of miles from help.

How many modern conveniences on my boat?
  1. watermaker
  2. genset
  3. clothes laundry
  4. two heads with showers
  5. salt wash down pump
  6. two, separate, water cooled AC units
  7. main drive engine (of course)...

There are many more, those are just the ones that use water.

I have three underwater thruhulls, plus two fully glassed in cockpit scuppers. All other hull penetrations are discharges either at or well above the water line.

I am sure you have many additional conveniences that justify needing over 20 holes in your boat. I just can't think what they might be.
Like I wrote earlier... I couldn’t care any less about how many thru hulls other people have or what they think of our boat. You seem troubled by other people’s boats. Please try to sleep easy and don’t worry, our boat is well-maintained, never had a hose clamp failure.
Old 17-10-2018, 19:17   #45
cruiser

By limiting your thru hulls, most people actually just have a false sense of security, since most water leak problems actually occur via internal hoses and appliances. We’ve never had a thru hull or valve let go, just internal seals such as a hose leak on a new generator, which can just as easily happen on a boat with only one or two thru hulls.

Tags
hull, thru hull