Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2020, 10:17   #1

CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) System Example

Hello!

I am getting my boat hooked up on CNG and am having some trouble finding specs for CNG systems on boats. I was wondering if any of you may be able to take a picture of your system i.e tank-regulator-hose fittings. I am trying to get my bearing for who type of regulator I need to go with and am hoping to maybe copy someone's system here.

The stove already has a hose, I just need to make sure I am getting the right regulator and understand what is the simplest system so I can have the tank removed to be refilled ect.
srhaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 10:32   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) System Example

You may find that moving to CNG is ultimately a mistake. CNG was tried back in the late 80's and it just didn't catch on. Technically its a better option, but not being able to get tanks refilled really really puts a damper on being able to cook with it.

Not even sure where you could purchase CNG parts for use in a marine environment these days!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 10:39   #3

So in this instance I think it is a reasonable situation to stay on CNG. There is a second hand sailboat store that has a tank program where they fill tanks for $30. This boat will also be a live aboard and not a cruiser, so the supply of CNG is totally fine. Just need the regulator and fittings/design.
Old 21-12-2020, 10:49   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhaas View Post
So in this instance I think it is a reasonable situation to stay on CNG. There is a second hand sailboat store that has a tank program where they fill tanks for $30. This boat will also be a live aboard and not a cruiser, so the supply of CNG is totally fine. Just need the regulator and fittings/design.
IF you have access to CNG refills, that's fantastic (and rare!). For the
Regulator and the rest of the system design, that's going to be a challenge. Reach out to Surveyors as MARINE CNG information is going to be a challenge as its just not been used commonly for 20 years or more (also means that your equipment is likely that old). do CNG tanks need to be certified?
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 11:41   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

I have a CNG set up on my boat but it is put up on the hard for winter and hard to access. In fact my CNG gas supplier has stopped providing the service and I am not able to find anyone who does it. where is your supplier located? I will also reach out to a friend who also has a CNG set up and see if he has specs.

Thanks,

Steve
Catalina 42
Lake Ontario
Sodus Point
taylormobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 12:03   #6

Thanks for the message Steve! It is a little second hand sailing store called Blue Pelican in Alemeda CA. Look forward to if you friend has any insight.
Old 21-12-2020, 12:37   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The regulator should be any natural gas regulator. You know one that's for the gas that's piped into your home by your local gas company.

Google do it yourself CNG gas bottle fill ups. There have been discussions recently on doing your own CNG tank refills. The hardware is available and is reasonable. Will allow you to refill your bottles anywhere there is a CNG supplier. That way you don't have to rely on the few remaining Marine CNG fill up places.

Any dive shop should be able to set you up with a company that will Hydro test and certify the tanks.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:20   #8

Boat: Herreshoff Cat Ketch 38, Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser

Both of my boats (2002 Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser & 1986 Herreshoff 38 Cat Ketch) have factory installed CNG. I wouldn't trade it for the world. The local propane distributor recertified all tanks last spring. Another propane distributor (2 miles from the marina) refills them for roughly $3.00 per gallon.

If you do any cruising and wish to cook while NOT tethered to shore power, CNG is your best option.

The Xintex controls are terrific! Last summer, I walked through the galley with a freshly cleaned paint brush and the alarm sounded and gas solenoid closed within seconds from just a whiff of paint thinner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fireboy.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	229164  
GuerrillaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:27   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The regulator should be any natural gas regulator. You know one that's for the gas that's piped into your home by your local gas company.
??? That's an outrageous statement.
Typical gas utility distribution (street) pressure is 60 psi or less.
CNG tanks pressure is FIFTY TO SIXTY times that, 3,000 to 3,600 psi.
Attempting to use a residential regulator would likely lead to explosion and death.

Quote:
ABYC A-22
MARINE COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS
(CNG) SYSTEMS

22.7 FUEL CYLINDERS, VALVES, AND SAFETY DEVICES
22.7.1 Cylinders used in CNG systems shall meet the applicable DOT regulations and AGA standards.
22.7.2 Pressure Regulator
22.7.2.1 Each CNG system shall be provided with a two stage pressure regulator specifically designed for use with CNG, and
22.7.2.1.1 the pressure regulator shall be made of materials that are compatible with CNG.
NOTE: The very high pressure of the CNG cylinder requires the use of a two stage pressure regulator that reduces the pressure to a working pressure suitable for further reduction to the required appliance supply pressure.
22.7.2.2 The CNG pressure regulator system, as installed, shall deliver gas to all appliances, under varying appliance loads, at a pressure not in excess of 0.23 psig (16 mbar).
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:31   #10

Thanks for that! The comment links out to Walmart...would you actually get a regulator from Walmart?
Old 22-12-2020, 09:34   #11

Why you mind sending a pic of your regulator system from the tank/hose connection? There aren't a ton of pictures online so I want to make sure my set up is solid and won't leak etc.
Old 22-12-2020, 09:39   #12
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhaas View Post
Hello!

I am getting my boat hooked up on CNG and am having some trouble finding specs for CNG systems on boats. I was wondering if any of you may be able to take a picture of your system i.e tank-regulator-hose fittings. I am trying to get my bearing for who type of regulator I need to go with and am hoping to maybe copy someone's system here.

The stove already has a hose, I just need to make sure I am getting the right regulator and understand what is the simplest system so I can have the tank removed to be refilled etc.
I was the second owner of my previous boat (San Juan 28) that had CNG. It came with two tanks in the upper portion of the cockpit lazarette that I could reach from the cabin to turn on/off. I thought the system was ideal for my coastal cruising as exchangeable tanks were available at a number of marinas. It is a very safe system as the gas is lighter than air and will flow upwards, not down into the bilge.

Have you contacted the manufacturer of your stove to get a list of servicing/parts dealers. Baring that try your local natural gas company. Then there are the second hand retailers, craigslist, eBay that may have parts.

I never had any problem with mine and owned the boat for 10 years.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:45   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

For what it is or isn't worth? At one time the natural gas distributer was the only place locally to get a tank filled.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:48   #14

Boat: 1977 Fuji Ketch 32

On the East Coast (Chesapeake Bay region) CNG tanks are available from Virginia Natural Gas in Norfolk. Sometimes they can meet you at the dock to switch out with your empty tank, or they can meet you at their facility on Lance Road. Just call ahead.
I wish the sailing world would discover the advantages of CNG. Easier to work with than propane, and safer, because it's lighter than air and doesn't collect in your cabin (that also makes storage simpler, because the tank doesn't have to be in a completely separate compartment).
I have it on my 1977 Fuji ketch 32 and love it. Regulator simply attaches to the tank - though suppliers around the Bay are a dwindling breed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressed gas tank.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	229167  
CapitanoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 09:49   #15

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

There was a company in Danbury, CT called corp brothers that would sell the correct regulators. I think they got purchased by Tech air. Call them. When I have talked to them in the past they were very helpful.

I have CNG on my hunter legend 37.5 and use it regularly.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote