Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 22:31   #106

Boat: Aquila 44 Power Catamaran
Re: Which Power Catamaran ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Now that's easy... Cat Bight
Ahh...Brilliant.... we're kicking it around.
"Cat Bight"
"Top Cat"
"Geaux Cat"
mtmilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobraon View Post
I thought I would post this if anyone is interested in a true Cat Trawler. Most power cats are predominately converted sailing cats however this one was designed from the ground up to be an ocean crossing expeditionary trawler.

The real issue with the lightweight converted sailing cats is their range. Savanah had in her design criteria to be able to cross oceans and to cruise in high latitudes. To achieve this she carries 8000lt of diesel and today during tests achieved better than 1.5lts per NM. That's a range of over 5000nm.

She is also designed to be crewed by a crew of 2 (husband and wife).

I can post more info if anyone is interested.

Garry

sv Spirit of Sobraon
Home Page - www.sobraon.com
Don't understand your website reference?....that is all monohull sailing yacht stuff??

Where are you building that cat, and who was the designer??
Old 01-03-2015, 17:52   #108

Boat: Spray Replica

Brian,

Sorry for the confusion. The website under my signature is for Spirit of Sobraon. My own boat and not meant as a reference to Savanah. There is however some information about Savanah's construction on our site in our 2013/2014 blog.

Savanah has been a project of good friends of ours John and Jo Richardson. We assisted them with the interior design and fit-out.

The lead Naval Architect for the project was HYS Yacht's Simon Jupe. He was given some very specific design perimeters to meet and ensure the boat could achieve expeditionary rating.

John and Jo are accompanying us through Taiwan, Japan and the Aleutian Islands of Alaska on our current cruise. It is an unusual pairing. A mono hull thats design dates back to the 1800's and an expeditionary Power Catamaran that was conceived less than 2 years ago.

You can follow some of our journey on our site and on their site The Design - Continuing our cruising adventureÂ*on Savanah J

To give you a better understanding of what the boat is this is a brief description of the project.

A 20m Exhibition Catamaran.

Designed for the purpose of Blue Water Cruising. With plenty of room, including full king size master cabin. Dual systems throughout and all the comforts of home and a comfortable ride.

The AXE Keel, enabling her to cut through the water, decreasing any slamming and pitching while obtaining optimum fuel efficiency of 1 litre per nautical mile.

Design includes:
  • Large saloon 5m x 6m
  • Aft Pilot house, having a large open arrangement with the Saloon joining the Galley at the forward end. Providing full weather protection and all round vision.
  • Full walk around king size bed in Master cabin on the main deck and 2 Guest queen size cabins in the hulls with ensuite
  • Full size galley incorporating dishwasher, washing machine, Gas top and Oven
  • 1.2m x 2m fridge/freezer
  • Dual chartplotters, Autopilot and steering
  • Powered by 2 x 200hp John Deere Motors - top speed 18kn. Ecconomical Cruising at 6kn - 10kn
  • Bow Thrusters
  • 3 Tonne per day Water maker
  • 2 Gensets
  • 8000l fuel
  • 2000l water
As I said Savanah is a purpose built Epoxy Expeditionary Trawler Catamaran that is truly a blue water boat. Unlike the majority of Sail converted power catamarans she has a range of over 5000 NM and is proving in trials to have met her design criteria.

I think the design has the potential revolutionise trawler and catamaran thinking.

Garry
sv Spirt of Sobraon
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:06   #109
Marine Service Provider

Domino 65, Tennant design

Are you familiar with this powercat??

Malcolm Tennant Multihull Design Ltd - Domino 20 Power Catamaran

their bogspot....extensive cruising worldwide
DOMINO 20

construction by owners
Power Catamaran World: Building your own in Paraguay
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12   #110
Marine Service Provider

Domino with Motorsailing Rig

I've always been a huge fan of Motorsailers.

So I just quickly put this illustration together,...adapting my mast-aft rig onto the Domino powercar design to create a great motorsailing version. I mention that here:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Domino postsize.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	98216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Domino%20Powercat%20stern%20view.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	98217  

Name:	Domino with Aftmast motorsailing rig.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	98218  
Old 09-05-2015, 16:03   #111

Boat: Spray Replica

Just a quick update on the Cat I highlighted. Savanah is now in the water and cruising. We have been sailing in company for the past month from Borneo through to Palawan in the Philippines. The design is proving to live up to all expectations. It is truly a very capable bluewater ocean crossing Power Cat Trawler.

Fuel Mileage to date has averaged at about 1.4lts per NM. These figures are expected to increase when the systems have been tweeked. Best figures so far have been .9 lts per NM.

Savanah has also proven it self in some very rough adverse seas. The shot below was taken from Savanah of Spirit of Sobraon last week. Spirit of Sobraon is a 26 tonne 56' sailing ketch. As you can see it has not been all flat seas and calm winds. I have to download the photos of her in these conditions that I will post later. She remained very stable and and handled he conditions much better than we did. With 6 x 240w solar panels on the bridge and mast platform power has not been an issue. At times panels have had to be turned off because of overcharging.

We have had time to relax in anchorages and the huge space on board is more house like than boat.

I will post more shots of Savanah and her interior later. At 60' she has the room of a 86' + mono hull trawler like a Nordhavn whilst delivering the economy of a much smaller 40' boat.

Garry
sv Spirit of Sobraon
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 20:41   #112

UP Date on AQUILA 44 power cat...We bought it at Miami boat show....Delivered across Gulf of Mexico from Clearwater to Pensacola on April 23rd...LOVE The boat...Ran 18 mph in 4 ft seas, quartering, with no problems...it didn't seem like 4 ft seas, until you looked at them .....

The "3rd hull" between the hulls, really helps break up the seas and smooths the ride, along with the wave piercing bow extensions.....

The Layout on the boat is superb, Each guest has their "own" part of the boat with Full enclosed shower, Like a Real Home Shower, the pressure is almost to much .....and leaves all the living area of the boat open....Its like a house .....We can't decide if we want to eat on the Flybridge, the back patio over the water, or Inside... Working out a few bugs still, but Aquila dealer has been Great.... things like Head motor not up to par, a breaker not working, a few little things that are normal with a new boat....nothing that has kept us from using the Snot out of it, every Weekend.

OH..We named it "MTM GRAND"......our initials Mark and Tammy ..Yeah, we using the MGM Grand's Font and Lion..it is a Cat..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender 3 copy.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	103358   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender 7.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	103359  

Name:	FullSizeRender 12.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	103360   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	103361  

Name:	IMG_5622.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	103362   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5674.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	103363  

Old 08-06-2015, 07:14   #113
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmilam View Post
UP Date on AQUILA 44 power cat...We bought it at Miami boat show....Delivered across Gulf of Mexico from Clearwater to Pensacola on April 23rd...LOVE The boat...Ran 18 mph in 4 ft seas, quartering, with no problems...it didn't seem like 4 ft seas, until you looked at them .....

The "3rd hull" between the hulls, really helps break up the seas and smooths the ride, along with the wave piercing bow extensions.....
I found this comment of yours interesting, especially in light of this discussion from a few years ago,...particularly with reference to the Lagoon powercats
Center Nacelles and Wave Pounding
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/center-nacelles-wave-pounding-cats-19139-2.html

Love to hear more of your observations.

Quote:
The Layout on the boat is superb, Each guest has their "own" part of the boat with Full enclosed shower, Like a Real Home Shower, the pressure is almost to much .....and leaves all the living area of the boat open....Its like a house .....We can't decide if we want to eat on the Flybridge, the back patio over the water, or Inside...
She does look to have ALL the amenities

Working out a few bugs still, but Aquila dealer has been Great.... things like Head motor not up to par, a breaker not working, a few little things that are normal with a new boat....nothing that has kept us from using the Snot out of it, every Weekend.

OH..We named it "MTM GRAND"......our initials Mark and Tammy ..Yeah, we using the MGM Grand's Font and Lion..it is a Cat..[/QUOTE]
Old 08-06-2015, 19:57   #114

Hi Brian,
I also noticed the inside hull shapes have a lot of angles to them, as to break up the water more, but with them flowing back...like the escape window on the inside of each hull...when looking thru it, it looks like it would be flush mounted with the hull...but looking from the outside, its recessed 4 inches in the front, then tapered recess toward the back...hard to describe, I may have some pics. ...It does sneeze, But I can't see any...but the Girls feel a slight mist when laying on the deck...thats 25 kts winds and 2-3 ft seas and running 17 mph, with wind on the rear quarter beam....the boat may have been pitching up and down, maybe 6 to 8 inches....Pretty smooth ride.

Oh, to get out escape hatch, you raise up stairs, there is one of those "Hammers that shatters Glass".....its a "one Time" use deal ....Not like in the bare boat charters cats in the Islands, where my, then young, Daughters used to like to open the inside hatch in the Head and "Hatch one" outside, between the hulls....I wish I would have gotten a pic of their little Hinny, sticking out, right before they "Hatched it"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5601.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	103443   Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	103444  

Name:	IMG_5284.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	103445   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5604.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	103446  

Old 14-07-2015, 19:39   #115

Saw this 80' powercat around Pensacola..."Hayfu II " is the name......Gorgeous...Google says its Carbon fiber hulls, Norwegian build, took 3 years.....It made our Aquila 44 look like a dinghy

Video of Family Reunion on our Aquila 44....using a Drone.

Pensacola Area .....we were there on the 44 for the Blue Angels air show...some pics of the inside of the 44 Aquila. ..we have been using the boat 4 days a week, since May!!!.....working the other 3 days ...we can't get enough, already have 300 hours on the Genset.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	105382   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	105383  

Name:	DSC_0906.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	105384   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0762.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	105385  

Name:	DJI00095.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	420.3 KB
ID:	105386  
Old 15-07-2015, 02:34   #116

Sweet! Looks like an awesome time!!!!! Cheers from Okinawa Japan.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 19:04   #117

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

I'm brand new here but just wanted to add that I own one of those Leopard 37's that was driven 7000 miles from Cape Town to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas. I was frankly stunned to find the delivery paperwork with the names of the delivery captain and crew who delivered "Hull ZZ06" in November 2009. After her 5 years of charter service with The Moorings, she is now leading a more quiet life in very occasional charter in Cape Coral, FL. I've been on her 4 times since I bought it in June, and driven about 60 hours. I can tell you that whether these Leopards were proven capable of Blue Water crossings or not, anyone who would do that on a 37 foot power cat with no internal helm is 100% certifiably crazy!!! And I mean no disrespect to the crews who did the trip time and time again... This is a fair weather, tropical, coastal cruiser, and a very good one at that... And lastly, can you imagine taking delivery of your brand new boat and finding 600 hours on each motor?

David Hughes
M/Y True Love

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1441677856.801583.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	108604capecoralyacht.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 00:19   #118

Hi Koum, I know this post was a whiule ago, but i'm curious to know how you got on. I am looking at very similar scenario myself, except i'm looking at putting the boat in a charter fleet in BVI and using for 2 months of the year.
damiansloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 02:28   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, damiansloper.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 19:09   #120

We Finally got our Name put on!!....the first guy we used was Terrible and we sent it back....Then we found a local person in Lafayette and they did it just like we wanted....Gold leaf...That baby sparkles in the sun

Our initials are MTM, incase you're wondering.

We also had our props Balanced and Tuned, while it was hauled for some warranty work on the Shaft seal.....Stupid me thought, "What a great time to buff it and put some of that fancy Polymer sealant on....You just wipe it on and walk away, looks like water, but you need a Clean Hull...suppose to last a year and Everything just wipes off of it, like black streaks and such.......

Well....30 Freaking hours later it was Done...Geezus, thats a lot of surface area and I picked the Hottest weekend of the year to do it.....Its my punishment, incase I every want a Bigger boat, I'll remember this.

You can notice all the Curves under the deck along with the Center nacelle...it really helps to break up a head sea and cut down on any pounding.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender 14.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	384.4 KB
ID:	109645   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	109646  

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg