Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 10:22   #121

Re: Which Power Catamaran ?

Dear All
I am new here.
Currently planning my "around the world" tour.

I am interested in a used Power-catamaran of 40-50 feet, with longest possible range and low consumption at cruise speed (7-10 knots).

The catamaran should have a comfortable owner/master-cabin with its own head and good sized shower and minimum two additional double guest-cabins.
It is planned to travel with the boat all around the world, but of course with yacht-transporting over Atlantic- and Pacific-Sea.
First year cruising in the Mediterranean-Sea to get used of the life aboard life-style and to perhaps update the boat for more independency in remote areas if necessary. (fridge, Photovoltaic, batteries, water-maker etc.)

Would love to learn more about Lagoon 44 vs. Cumberland 44/46 or any advice from experienced Sailors/Owners.

Best regards
Swisscosmopolit
Swisscosmopolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 14:48   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Above 50' & Domino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swisscosmopolit View Post
Dear All
I am new here.
Currently planning my "around the world" tour.

I am interested in a used Power-catamaran of 40-50 feet, with longest possible range and low consumption at cruise speed (7-10 knots).

The catamaran should have a comfortable owner/master-cabin with its own head and good sized shower and minimum two additional double guest-cabins.
It is planned to travel with the boat all around the world, but of course with yacht-transporting over Atlantic- and Pacific-Sea.
First year cruising in the Mediterranean-Sea to get used of the life aboard life-style and to perhaps update the boat for more independency in remote areas if necessary. (fridge, Photovoltaic, batteries, water-maker etc.)

Would love to learn more about Lagoon 44 vs. Cumberland 44/46 or any advice from experienced Sailors/Owners.
Best regards
Swisscosmopolit
You should find a considerable amount of info right here on this subject thread.

If you want a serious ocean cat I would suggest you reach above 50 feet for seakeeping capabilities.

Read thru this long, extensive blog and see what a real sea boat (powercat) is capable of:

DOMINO 20
http://dominocatamaran.blogspot.com/

If I remember properly I believe someone was going into production on this design. I'll ask the owners dfor an update, and perhaps they can post it here?
Old 29-11-2015, 03:35   #123

Thank you Brian
I read this Forum and I follow the blog of Domino 20 since quite a while, and love it.

Well initially I fell in love to Queensland 55, and I have currently an offer for a used one for 1 Million EURO.

But I came to the conclusion, that 55 feet would be slightly to big, and i reduced my Budget back to EUR 500K, as I am sure, that updating/maintaining the boat will generate yearly costs of 10% of the Investment. (yes, I am Swiss;-))
Within the next 3 weeks I will visit a Lagoon 44 in Spain.
Extremely well equipped and maintained.
As far as I hear, Lagoon solved the "sneezing" Problem of the Lagoon 43 with the introduction of the Lagoon 44.
But honestly, this is just researched in the Internet.

If someone built sister-ships of "Domino 20", I would love to learn more about it.
Old 29-11-2015, 05:48   #124
Marine Service Provider

Friend's Powercat

You just missed out on a very good buy,...my friends 62' Tennant powercat. It was in great shape, and only sold a month ago

I made an inquiry with Marie Dufour about the 'production Domino'.
Old 30-11-2015, 13:16   #125

Looks great this 62' Tennant powercat.
Well,my experience with sailboats in the caribbean sea tells me, that 62' are not always easy to handle.
I saw the unique Power-cat 60' Pilothouse from the famous Hobie Alter for sale in US.
Love the boat, but it exceeds my budget.
I dont want to bother them with an offer less than 500K EUR.
Old 30-11-2015, 17:59   #126
Marine Service Provider

Maine 47 Cat

This is another vessel you might consider, the Maine Cat 47 powercat.

The gentleman who owns this company has put a LOT of research into all of the vessels he has gone into production with, and particularly his venture into the powercat market with this 47' model.

I think if you look around you will find a lot of happy owners of his products.

Old 30-11-2015, 18:11   #127
Marine Service Provider

Maine 47' Cat

Had a problem with that posting above,...keep listing the video twice, intead of another site I picked out.

[PCW] P-47 "moxie" trip from miami to great sale cay bahamas
Old 04-12-2015, 15:17   #128
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Scape Raptor 42

There are several coming to the market now that have a great pedigree and are worth a look. Scape Yachts has a great 42ft Power Cat that's efficient, fast and very affordable. People buy these for cruising or charter.
SFYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 16:36   #129

Hey MTM Grand. We are looking at purchasing a Aquila 44 in then future. Can you tell me how things are going for you lately? Please tell me your pros and cons of this boat. I read all you blogs so far. We live near Savannah GA. Thank you!
sailboatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 17:27   #130
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Scape Raptor 42

It depends on what your using an Aquila for. They are built in China and I haven't had any luck with boats made there. Prout, NISI, HH, Gunboat 66, etc have all turned out bad. If your using it for weekend use or light cruising your fine. If you plan on chartering it the boat will fall apart. I was just at the base in Hodges Creek, BVI.
SFYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30   #131
Marine Service Provider

You might want to check out CleanEnergyCatamaran and let me know your thoughts.
Grover3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 22:34   #132

Boat: Aquila 44 Power Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboatgirl View Post
Hey MTM Grand. We are looking at purchasing a Aquila 44 in then future. Can you tell me how things are going for you lately? Please tell me your pros and cons of this boat. I read all you blogs so far. We live near Savannah GA. Thank you!
The Aquila 44 has been GREAT!! We love the boat, so comfortable....Boats made in China now, are not the same as they used to be....the factory is brand new and state of the art....a friend is having a nor haven 107' boat made in China right now....I hate to say it, but the boats coming out of there are much better than they were even 5 years ago.....Of course a lot of that is all the Cad/Cam and new resin infusion technology and stuff like that......

The boat has great access to the engines and genset and all the equipment is easy to get to for maintenance. Another couple just bought one, we have 2 on the gulf coast at pensacola now....but I think they are going down to the bahamas shortly. I have 2 225hp volvos with shafts.....No IPS...If I had to do it again I'd go with the 330 hp.....I can run at 20 WOT, but the extra HP's would be nice . ....but if you just cruise at 9 or 10, then its probably not necessary.
Mark
mtmilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:11   #133

Boat: 2012 Lagoon Cat 450' GONE

I am also in the market for a powercat. As well as a fast close..however i found the buyers agent- broker i was referred to wasnt as interested in making a "sale-or" of me! He sold 150'yachts so I guess a 39-50' powecat wasnt enough $.
So onto another buyers agent I found online & he didnt jump at my money as many say they are worse than used car salesman.. Instead he warned me for FREE not to buy an old SA prowler powercat.."money pit!" and the Fountaine Pajot 2016 cumberland pc was way overpriced and made of cheap plastic &
would fall apart in 5 years!!
so Wow that was an eye opener! I too want to cruise in BVI - St barts etc but have no sail ability and at age 50 coming- no desire to learn except have the lifestyle of it..i fell in love with catamarans in St Barts 3 yrs ago.
He pointed out that the charter companies choose the most seaworthy-strongest construction for obvious reasons & upon surveying, replace any issues!
So as much as I hate to buy a cat that looks like soo many others..I certainly want safety and not a money pit! Hello Leopards--/they ALL make the voyage over from South Africa...yes the 37' as well!! so I though the smaller engines were a reason to not buy smallet boats, but it saves on fuel & encreases Range.
My bday approaching and Im either gonna be crying on shore or crusing a cat! Just wondering which size & to buy for my use only or double $ & buy one that stays in charter program. This says offers a great return but I am skeptical...anyone's thoughts??
kishadean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 22:13   #134
Marine Service Provider

If you can afford it buy a Maine Cat 47. He builds a very nice product.
Old 24-01-2017, 03:54   #135

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishadean View Post
I am also in the market for a powercat. As well as a fast close..however i found the buyers agent- broker i was referred to wasnt as interested in making a "sale-or" of me! He sold 150'yachts so I guess a 39-50' powecat wasnt enough $.

So onto another buyers agent I found online & he didnt jump at my money as many say they are worse than used car salesman.. Instead he warned me for FREE not to buy an old SA prowler powercat.."money pit!" and the Fountaine Pajot 2016 cumberland pc was way overpriced and made of cheap plastic &

would fall apart in 5 years!!

so Wow that was an eye opener! I too want to cruise in BVI - St barts etc but have no sail ability and at age 50 coming- no desire to learn except have the lifestyle of it..i fell in love with catamarans in St Barts 3 yrs ago.

He pointed out that the charter companies choose the most seaworthy-strongest construction for obvious reasons & upon surveying, replace any issues!

So as much as I hate to buy a cat that looks like soo many others..I certainly want safety and not a money pit! Hello Leopards--/they ALL make the voyage over from South Africa...yes the 37' as well!! so I though the smaller engines were a reason to not buy smallet boats, but it saves on fuel & encreases Range.

My bday approaching and Im either gonna be crying on shore or crusing a cat! Just wondering which size & to buy for my use only or double $ & buy one that stays in charter program. This says offers a great return but I am skeptical...anyone's thoughts??

Welcome to the Forums. Lots of good advice here. I have a 2009 Leopard 37 PowerCat that I bought from Moorings 20 months ago. It's a solid boat, with straightforward systems. I agree with the broker that told you the charter companies demand solid construction and accessible systems. I think the Aquila boats from MarineMax are also worth consideration if you choose the charter built route.

I also went through a couple buyer brokers until finding a helpful, honest one like you mentioned. Worth their weight in gold.

How much will you use the boat yourself? If not full time, trust me your biggest worry will be who is keeping an eye on it. I live in Atlanta and keep my boat in SW Florida. I found that I literally couldn't sleep at night for 6 months, so I chose to put the boat into charter at Southwest Florida Yachts. Now I know that someone watches over her, starts her up, cleans her, and fixes anything broken. It still costs me money for all that, less some charter revenue, but the peace of mind has been worth it to me, and I can use it as much as a want, whenever I want. In 2016, I got 6 trips and about 25 days aboard.

Now, I will say that doing it again, I would not buy the 37. The beam is too narrow at 14' 8". The 39 is much more stable at 21'. The new 43 looks great, as does the Aquila 44.

I'd be happy to chat more. Good luck!
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran