Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 20:02   #61

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
The Paragon video is a good lesson for anyone thinking about crossing blue water.

What you are planning is not a bike ride to Sturgis. More like Evil Kanevil jumping the snake river. We all remember how that turned out. Almost exactly like your adventure, without a parachute.

The point on a map, is like so many other points, just a place to go. From my standpoint, a tiny lake in Nebraska, you have already accomplished so much. You are sitting in a candy store right now. You could curse Florida for years. Learning, and having a great time. Advice from another greener, stay in Florida or anywhere along the coast until you become proficient at coastal cruising.

Blue water is not forgiving, any more than a climb of Everest would be. You can do it as often as you wish as long as time, talents and planning work out to a successful trip. On the other hand, it only takes one bad trip to be your last.

You have shown what inexpirence and being foolhardy gets you, and walked away only licking your pride looking at a tow bill. Now your goal should be to do it the right way.

I see no problem with your goal of a May crossing, it is only the calendar year one needs to figure out now.

Get in with a group of sailboats, with seasoned people that can make the crossing with you.
Old 21-11-2012, 20:14   #62

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

A couple of items to note:

1. Crystal River, Florida isn't too bad a place to be "stuck".
2. Learn how to heave to, good way to catch a bit of sleep AND catch your breath when you need a break.
3. Watch a few videos on youtube on how to sail. ppconsultant has quite a few that will show you some cool stuff.
4. Keep smiling! This is the adventure Zee is always going on about!

I'll bet that first sunrise after the storm was among the best of your life.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 22:22   #63

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Hilarious. Because it ended well. At least you know what you're getting into now. There's a lot of stuff to learn, like carrying the right canvas or adjusting course for comfort, or what kind of conditions that Danforth is really good for.

I've never thought of calling the coasties for a pep talk. You're not the first I'm sure.

Just trying to see the world from your perspective is what is so damn funny and refreshing. Just pointing your boat east until the depth sounder goes beep is just not how most of us do it, but it aint far from what sailors did in years past. I guess the question is, will it continue to work? Prolly not, but sounds like you're all over it. The pursuit of knowledge and experience of the sea is a lifelong endeavor that makes voyaging so rewarding. Not everybody approaches it the same way I guess, and you should do it your way, but just anchor to my lee so I can get a good night sleep.

Good luck to ya, you got some pluck fer sure. As Conrad said, "The sea has never been friendly to man. At most it has been the accomplice of human restlessness"
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 06:55   #64

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
I'll crew with you to Bermuda!
Old 22-11-2012, 07:28   #65

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

... More like Evil Kanevil jumping the snake river. We all remember how that turned out. ...
As many others have said, BlackOak's enthusiasm, and humor, is refreshing, but best tempered with some respect for the sea.

I've made the crossing from the NE USA to Bermuda and you are in effect crossing a "river". That "river" is the Gulf Stream. It is not a force to be taken lightly. Last crossing I made to Bermuda we encountered 25 foot seas and gusts to 65 knots (at least that was the last number flashing on the display before the anemometer self-destructed). Quite a few boats have been lost, or gotten into serious difficulties, making this crossing. And these have been boats with very experienced sailors aboard.

What you experienced on your unintentional trip to Crystal River was just normal moderate Gulf of Mexico conditions. The conditions you described were certainly not storm conditions -- just another normal day on the Gulf. These are just good sailing conditions if you are going the right direction and know how to sail.

The Gulf of Mexico is also a body of water to be respected. I've been out in mid-Gulf with sustained winds of 65 gusting to 80 knots and seas about 25' and building. I've been thankfully snug in a slip on the Texas coast while listening to offshore forecasts with seas to 50' in mid-Gulf.

Something else to bear in mind for the future. Your impulse to run to land for safety is not unusual, but it can get you killed. Many boaters having gotten themselves into trouble trying to make a tricky entrance in bad conditions. As others have suggested, learn how to heave-to so that you can ride it out offshore when appropriate. When you are half-way to Bermuda there is nowhere to run and hide. A little traditional monohull like yours will probably heave-to quite well. Maybe your mentor there in Crystal River can work with you on that skill too.

I'm not trying to piss on your parade, but just to suggest that you should be conscious of the fact that the sea can be a very unforgiving place. And, not only do you place yourself in danger, but also potentially those who bail you out as well.

Mother Nature just tousled your hair a bit. Consider yourself lucky and learn form it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 16:08   #66

Thanks for sharing this story. Your honesty is appreciated!
J. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2012, 16:43   #67

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Look on the bright side! A few more trips like this and you will have earned your USCG 6-pack license! Hang in there!
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 22:13   #68

This guy went from NYC to Bermuda and made an interesting set of videos.

Old 26-11-2012, 12:29   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
You could curse Florida for years.
And many people do!

(I know, just a typo, but a really funny one.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 13:57   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
This guy went from NYC to Bermuda and made an interesting set of videos.
I agree Drakes video of that Bermuda trip shows how quickly things can turn to poo! I thought they were an honest reality check of how things can break bad even for someone with some experience like Drake. Even worse was when he went to help the other inexperienced couple on their disabled boat and his boat got damaged in the process. As they say The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Lots of lessons to learn from his saga.
Old 26-11-2012, 21:37   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
And many people do!

(I know, just a typo, but a really funny one.)
Oops!
Old 27-11-2012, 06:55   #72

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Black oak,

I laughed really hard. I'm a writer and you should pursue writing. you have a gift.

I looked at your video and I'm glad Ms Shelley is teaching you a bit about sailing. I hope she remembered to tell you to move the spinnaker pole before setting out.

I gotta admit though - if you learned navigation over a cheeseburger, I want Ms Shelley's e-mail. She must be the greatest instructor on the planet and she and I could make uncountable millions if she really can do that.

Just a side note - ask her for lesson number two in navigation. It will be an eyeopener

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:20   #73

Good to hear you're still at it, this time doing the learning part, FIRST.

I do have a question that I think would be good for all all non sailors who want to sail would need to hear the answer..

What made you think that sailing required no pre knowledge before heading off shore?

I once read a good remark about knowledge. Something along the lines of, "It's not what you don't know that will kill you, it's what you do know that is wrong that will".

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:38   #74

Paragon should not be used to show what it's like on a passage. His character is his worst foe. I saw someone said he's experienced but he "forgot" even a basic like tying stopper knots on the sheets? Or leaving full sail for night? Ok, so he's convincing with his command of terms but I had my suspicions in the first 3 minutes of Part 1. The guy is a walking cluster. To the question of, Would I sail with him as part of crew? the answer is decidedly a resounding no! Reverse Midas touch or what, he's a carrier out to infect others. Should be quarantined.

He reminds me of a guy I once knew. A real looney tune he had a beautiful S&S 32' sloop but would only sail inside the protected bay and estuary. Once, after I finally was able to convince him to venture beyond the breakwater, the guy came even more unhinged. It's character that counts.

On the other hand, I say Black Oak has it in spades. I'll take the inexperienced honest guy over a guy like Paragon anyday.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:53   #75

You might want to buy a book, like, "Sailing for Dummies," read it and see some improvement in your techniques. Might save another tow bill. You can find it sued for almost nothing.

You can also find information on the Library section of this forum in Scuttlebutt.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda