Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 07:44   #211
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Hiya Blackoak...
Sad but glad you've called it a day... its a wise man that knows his limits and tolerances... this life is not for everyone...
Who's knows you may well be back... it happens
Have a Grand New Year and thanks for your story... its been fun...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:47   #212

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Well, you got some sea stories to tell back home in Memphis! I bet you will give it a go another time. Meanwhile you can always buy a trailer sailer and sail around the lakes and stuff.

You at least managed to cram a lot of learning and experience into a very short span of time. Well done.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:53   #213

Boat: hunter 376

sorry to hear you're giving up, but I respect your decision. I hope, under more controlled circumstances, you set sail again with more training and experience, so you enjoy the sailing more, and gain confidence in your abilities to navigate, anchor and manage small emergencies so they don't become big ones. You are a natural at the narrative, so I hope to hear more from you someday, writing about your continued sailing adventures, and inevitably, misadventures.
Cheers,
David
shorebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:57   #214

Boat: Mac 26X
Sad face Good luck man, not my kind of boat, but should be easy to sell in Florida.
Old 31-12-2012, 08:01   #215

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good luck, BlackOak... don't feel like you are throwing in the towel. Rather, you are moving on after a thrilling and somewhat frightening experience. Today, there are too few folks willing to step outside the chains of conformity to give something new a try. You are clearly one of the few with the guts and sense of adventure to venture outside the ordinary. I bet you will find another way to test your adaptibilty and survival skills. You've impressed quite a few on this forum and we wish you well. Just imagine the stories you'll be able to tell at the bars in Sturgis, SD on your next visit. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:03   #216

Good luck and best wishes BlackOak for whatever you decide to do next. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:53   #217

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

I'm not going to try and encourage you to go on, but for us this time of the year in Florida is about the worst possible time to be there. No fun going to a place that is suppose to be warm and it is cold and fronts are going through every couple days. We spent most of December on our small Mac with no heat and nighttime temps in the 30's and won't do that again.

Possibly consider putting your boat in the Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage yard ...

Charlotte Habor Boat Storage - Charlotte Harbor Boat Storage - Boat Storage For Sail & Power

... while you have it up for sale. It is about the least expensive place around and would cost you just over $200 a month there. It is also inland some so somewhat protected if a hurricane goes through before you sell the boat.

Also if a couple months go by and you have some second thoughts you could always return and put the boat back in the water.

To get to the yard....

...you go through a lock (top arrow) and then a fresh water canal system. The yard is where the bottom left arrow is. All American Boat Storage is also there and has about the same rates, but you can't stay on the boat. The lock is a little intimidating. If the place interests you I'll bet we could find some one to make the trip from Venice to the yard with you or meet you at the lock.

You can live on the boat in the yard and elect. is only about $25 more a month and they have showers and such and you can also work on the boat if needed. If the boats for sale someone can see the bottom and such. We recommend the place.

PM me if I can help or give you more info,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 08:57   #218

Boat: Beneteau First 42

BlackOak—

I can appreciate your disappointments and frustrations and decision to pitch in the towel at this point although, perhaps in the Spring, you'll have a change of heart when your disappointments and wounds are not so fresh and your emotions calmed.

Unfortunately, the Romance of Voyaging under Sail is rather far from the realities more often than not although, sometimes (thank goodness), the payoffs are greater than one could imagine. It is a lifestyle that not all are suited for, and particularly so if they start with the Romance in mind but zero practical knowledge. An unschooled Novice moving aboard and attempting to make his or her way with little/no understanding or knowledge of the equipment, its uses (and hazards), and/or any of the collateral knowledge/skills needed for safely, comfortably and successfully sailing/voyaging faces rather an enormously steep learning curve that that can easily seem like an insurmountable hurdle, especially so if each effort, no matter how optimistically undertaken, ends with disappointing results. Throw in Winter-even here on the southwest coast of Florida-with the cold, wet and raw; and new, unknown locales where one has no one to call upon for advice or assistance or even just a friendly drink and “bitch session” to relieve stress/frustration and it is easy to see how one might quickly throw up one’s hands in disgust and say “The Heck with it. This isn’t my cup of tea.” A respite shore side may be all that you need to recover your spirits and recharge your battery of optimism. If so, surely we’ll hear from you again but if not, that’s okay too as you gave it a heck of a shot and will never mourn a “might have been” in your dotage.

N’any case, Three Cheers, Good Luck and Best Wishes!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:16   #219

Blackoak:

Life is too short to not enjoy what you are doing. You gave it a go and wisely found out it was not for you. No harm done to you or the boat. So hopefully it will fulfill someone else's dream when you sell it. Meanwhile you can move on to your next adventure. Whatever it is I hope it brings you more joy.
Old 31-12-2012, 09:18   #220
Armchair Bucketeer

Am not going to try and change your mind - as giving something a go, discovering not for you and then moving on to something else is not a failure.

But I will say that your first adventure was not the easiest starter and would not be fun for most, if any! - so don't take it personally that it's only you not "getting it". For me the biggest downer (apart from being at the start of a learning curve - always a PITA!) would be the weather, a bit of sun and some pleasant makes a lot of difference with boats. next is attempting the journey singlehanded, even with a crew member who knows less than you! it would make things easier and more fun....and also you being on a timetable / needing to be headed somewhere (in this case I presume somewhere more pleasant!). Individually not so bad, but together would suck the fun out of things - especially as it sounded like the sailing part of the adventure got sacrificed for progress (not to say that wasn't the right call, but a lot less enjoyable).

Anyway, just because you using Plan B (Sell up) doesn't mean you can't have a Plan C up your sleeve - if the boat don't sell, then in a few months (more pleasant weather ) have another crack. Maybe bring a mate with you?

The good news with boats is that a lot is the male equivalent of childbirth, memories fade for the unpleasant bits . and before you know it you are back there again..........

BTW, just out of nosiness (not buying) how much you selling for?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:28   #221

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

BlackOak, I am sorry to hear that you have decided to quite, but I don't blame you. After hearing that you have a wife and she thinks you are nuts and wants you back. I am not sure if any of us would continue. Good luck with your boat sale, if you decide to try again, there will always be another boat to buy. I have told a friend about your boat, and he may be interested. I sent him the infomation and pic's you have. I will let you know if he is serious. Take care
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:33   #222

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Congrats for having the cojones to give it a go, at least now you know it is not for you.

Nothing wrong with changing course when you are not enjoying the journey.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:37   #223

Boat: Allures 44

Black Oak, thanks for a great story. I think you should take your posts and compile them into a single narrative. Who knows, you might publish it some day, maybe as part of a series on your many adventures. Speaking of which, good luck with your next one!
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:42   #224

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. I am sorry sailing didn't end up suiting you, but I really admire you for wholeheartedly giving it a go!
I wish you all the very best .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:45   #225

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

SO!!--we gonna see you on the rock. Let me know if I can help with the documents thing,OK.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda