Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 21-11-2012, 08:02   #46

Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I have to say, that everyone has a differnt learning curve, and motivation to learn. If you want to be ready for the crossing by May, and you do your homework and prep work you can be ready to go, IMHO, in that time frame.
I would agree, except that this is a guy who thinks that someone taught him navigation over lunch one day. No offense intended to the OP, seriously, but his attitude about that homework and prep work needs to change dramatically for him to have any hope at all of being ready.

I wish him luck, but I have my doubts.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:09   #47

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

TO ALL ARM CHAIR SAILORS , at least he is out on the water making his way(even if slowly) in his own boat and learning as he goes. It is not as if he just set off for Bermuda non stop without experience. I will give him credit for the balls to get going and relating his first experiences with the rest of us. By May he will have worked out in his head if he is ready for a solo trip or if he needs the assistance of a more experienced sailor to assist him on his voyage to Bermuda.....
GOOD LUCK-fair winds
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:19   #48
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
First it was the Bumfuzzles and all the chaos they brought to this forum, now it is Black Oak.

Mate you are a breath of fresh air. I haven't laughed so hard from a post on this forum in some time. Go for it, don't listen to the nay-Sayers but now that you have seen what is out there just be careful and use common sense.

Cruisers are a competitive lot, we all like to think and let others know how much more we know than they do, but don't let that keep you from pressing forward. Sounds like you have some supporters that will get you the basics. Keep on keeping on and make sure you keep posting, we need the honesty and humor to keep these armchairs from giving us all blisters!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:34   #49

Boat: Sabre 42
I bought my boat in NJ, but needed to keep it in Virginia. So I gathered some friends and picked the boat up and took off on our trip. Here's what I did wrong:

I had never sailed before.
None of my crew had ever sailed before.
I had never been to the area I was sailing in.
The boat was brand new to me... I literally had no idea how to do anything.
The boat had been in the water for 4 hours before I hopped on it.
I had minimal navigation experience.

We had an awesome time! We ran aground, spent a night anchored so close to a 7-11 that I could see the color slurpys people we're getting, saw huge pods of dolphins, ate amazingly well, and I'll never forget that trip.

Go do it. I'm sure you didn't learn "all about navigation" while eating a burger... but no doubt you have enough knowledge to understand the book you'll read about it.

Take some friends next time.
Old 21-11-2012, 08:39   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
First it was the Bumfuzzles and all the chaos they brought to this forum, now it is Black Oak.

Mate you are a breath of fresh air. I haven't laughed so hard from a post on this forum in some time. Go for it, don't listen to the nay-Sayers but now that you have seen what is out there just be careful and use common sense.

Cruisers are a competitive lot, we all like to think and let others know how much more we know than they do, but don't let that keep you from pressing forward. Sounds like you have some supporters that will get you the basics. Keep on keeping on and make sure you keep posting, we need the honesty and humor to keep these armchairs from giving us all blisters!
+1
Well said!
BlackOak, you ARE a breath of fresh air. Get some experience under your belt before attempting anything more than day sails though. We would all hate to hear something untoward had happened to you.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 08:50   #51

Boat: Cape Dory

It really sucks this thread has been disrailed (partly by the moderator???). Somewhere between Randy's note of caution (which I think was an important comment from someone who is hardly an "armchair sailor" - but which probably missed the mark in placing responsibility on the forum); and the moderator's "I love your stupidity" / "don't listen to those who don't say what you want to hear" lies a reasonable balance that the vast majority of us would agree with.

That said, the OP showed some real pluck, but also showed some that some important skill sets were lacking. It would be great if this thread stayed on his trip, because he might gain some useful info if it did. I'm not betting we'll get back on topic, but it'd be nice - it was a good and interesting thread.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:03   #52

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

---and, of course, no one knows what serious conversation is taking place by PM, and what advice is being given.
Old 21-11-2012, 09:17   #53

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hi Blackoak:

Great stories. I sent you a private message. Please look for that. Good thing that made it back safe and still want to go on. There is a lot to learn in order to sail to Bermuda. Whether or not you will be prepared to go to Bermuda in May will depend on how much effort that you put into it. There is a lot to glean from books and this website. I would look for a piece of 2x6 or better to make some docking protection for your boat. If the water gets rough those pilings will make a nice dent on your boat. Attach a bumper to each end of the 2x and that will hold you off the pilings. One thing that I learned the hard way is that catastrophic problems in boats are usually the result of cascading problems. For instance it gets dark and you lose electricity (problem 1), you can't find a flashlight (problem 2), A hose clamp comes off (problem 3). You can't see to fix the hose clamp. Your boat sinks. It is important to take care of small issues as they come up so that they don't turn into big ones. My advice (though not asked for) -- A smart man makes a mistake, learns from it, and never makes that mistake again. But a wise man finds a smart man and learns from him how to avoid the mistake altogether.
Roy H Williams quotes -- be a wise man.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 09:25   #54
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
It really sucks this thread has been disrailed (partly by the moderator???). Somewhere between Randy's note of caution (which I think was an important comment from someone who is hardly an "armchair sailor" - but which probably missed the mark in placing responsibility on the forum); and the moderator's "I love your stupidity" / "don't listen to those who don't say what you want to hear" lies a reasonable balance that the vast majority of us would agree with.

That said, the OP showed some real pluck, but also showed some that some important skill sets were lacking. It would be great if this thread stayed on his trip, because he might gain some useful info if it did. I'm not betting we'll get back on topic, but it'd be nice - it was a good and interesting thread.
Wow, really? You must have forgot to read this section...

Quote:
... but now that you have seen what is out there just be careful and use common sense.
And thanks for being the moral compass determining what "the vast majority of us would agree with"

Cheers

Old 21-11-2012, 09:38   #55

Although the OP's originals post is quite hilarious. I thought I would share something, any inexperienced sailor should watch. You should watch it to the end. Make sure to watch, 4,5,6.

It will open your eyes to what can happen when confidence outweighs experience.

James L
Old 21-11-2012, 10:07   #56

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Hey BlackOak, welcome to sailing. Since you're profile picture is of a bike, I'm assuming this isn't your first foray into activities that carry risk. Just as with riding, a combination of practice in relatively safe settings, getting out with people who have more experience and recognizing that there's a balance only you can decide on between baby steps and pushing too hard all will get you where you want to go.

In your video, you mentioned getting a kicker motor because of the state of your boat and your knowledge. My $.02 is that a BoatUS membership with unlimited towing is a cheaper and better insurance policy. Once you know your boat and your engine well, you may decide to drop it, but, after two tows in fifteen years, I still feel like I'm ahead of the game.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 14:10   #57
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just read the OP again, priceless! Belly laughs. I love the writting style and bald face honesty. I hope you stay with us, it is going to be a blast.

Old 21-11-2012, 17:33   #58

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hi Black Oak:

Here is another thing to keep in mind. If you keep your boat in Florida for more then 90 days you will be required to get either pay a tax on it or get a sojurners permit. Here is a link. http://cruisersnet.net/important-flo...mit-explained/

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 18:02   #59

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Thanks Charlie! Ms Shelly had me doing so many figure 8's today out in this little bay, I think I logged enough miles in the bay to have made Dry Tortugas from here!!! I did get a little tangled up in the jib sheets, and when I got some line burn on my right hand, she was quick to point out that if I used the winches correctly, **** like that doesnt happen!
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 18:10   #60

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Thanks Charlie! Ms Shelly had me doing so many figure 8's today out in this little bay...
Glad to read that someone is helping you learn to sail, it will make your future trips much more enjoyable for you...although maybe less entertaining for the forum!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda