Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03   #91
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Attempted Trip to Bermuda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
This is the halyard I use to raise the main. maybe not 1/4" maybe 3/16" ?
That would sound a bit more likely (at least to me!) and methinks that precludes a simple straight swap to a rope halyard. From the photos the Halyards run internally (including the wire one? - can't work it out from the pics) which may also preclude a change to rope spliced onto the wire - ...........but no doubt far more experianced folks on rigging about who know a bit more can chip in .

Obviously the sails go up as is , but nonetheless I would want to get away from the deck "slinky" approach (and that wrap around the cleat!)sooner rather than later - as apart from ease and comfort of use likely that the wire will eventually get damaged / kinked - which leads to "splinters" in the wire, bad enough for hands but want to keep that away from the sails!

Anyway, sounds like you are making good progress - looking forward to reading about further adventures .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21   #92

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my grocery and laundry rig. Works great! The dolly folds down small and flat, very sturdy. That was a basket of can goods, and 2 stacks of bottled water. Its about a 2 mile roundtrip. The dolly came from Home Depot for about 25 bucks.

The wire halyard is internal to the mast, and pulled up to my chest, from a pulley located at the base of the mast on the port side. I can pull the sail up about halfway, then I go to the Wire Winch, 3 wraps and start crankin.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 17:08   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgo View Post
Wow, I don't see a lack of character at all from his videos. Have you watched his other series'?
I was unaware he had other videos. I'll try to watch those. My comments were from watching the one vid posted in this link. In that vid I saw numerous examples where it appears he second guess himself or 2 steps fwd 3 steps back sort of thing. The telltales were evident before he left the mooring, even more so once underway. Nervousness, pathos, I don't know but he seemed to be capable of burning water. He appears highly emotion-driven.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 17:19   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Would you say he is Joe average on an above average older vessel? Yes, he documented himself making simple errors that showed poorly on his preparation, but who can single hand and be the video production crew all in one? If I had his skill set, I would be pleased. Plus his series is informative and entertaining.
Whether he is average I don't know. Perhaps I've hung around a select group for Paragon would likely not pass muster. As it is subjective to say he is average or not, it is just as subjective to say this based after seeing only through a small glass such as the one video afforded. I admit my error. I will try to watch his other videos and with an open, objective mind.

As for manning the boat and camera simultaneously I am reminded of an adage from the aviation world; don't drop the airplane to fly the radio. It is a reminder of priorities. Is camera and helm evidence of true multitasking ability?
Old 02-12-2012, 17:25   #95

Black Oak, it sounds as you are well into learning the ways of the boat and sea. Your writings are hilarious, your honesty a breath of fresh air, your spirit indomitable.
Old 02-12-2012, 18:06   #96

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
This boat uses 1/4" wire halyard, so once you get the sail hoisted, and look down, you have a slinky at your feet. Its ALL wire, and really tough on the hands. She told me I should get to a rigger and change out all the damn wire to line.
All wire halyards were popular back in the 1970s, before the advent of modern high tech low stretch cordage. They were used with so called "reel winches": the bitter end of the wire halyard was attached and completely rolled up on the drum of the reel winch--no slinky collecting on the deck. One reason they fell out of favor, is that reel winches could be dangerous--if you let go of the winch handle without the ratchet being engaged, the handle could start spinning out of control and break your arm. I'm not sure if you have a reel winch on your mast, or maybe it was taken off by the previous owner, but if you're careful, they are quite usable.

Nonetheless, your friend is quite right that a halyard made entirely of low stretch rope is much better these days. Chances are that the sheave at the top of the mast was designed for wire--if so, it must be replaced with an appropriate rope sheave.
Old 02-12-2012, 18:18   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I was unaware he had other videos. I'll try to watch those. My comments were from watching the one vid posted in this link. In that vid I saw numerous examples where it appears he second guess himself or 2 steps fwd 3 steps back sort of thing. The telltales were evident before he left the mooring, even more so once underway. Nervousness, pathos, I don't know but he seemed to be capable of burning water. He appears highly emotion-driven.
Richard:
I think you are a little harsh on Drake's video. IMO that NYC to Bermuda series are great "lesson learned" videos especially for those new to sailing. We've all made mistakes and had our share of "I'm never gonna do that again" or "I can't believe I forgot to do that" moments. I know I have. You learn from those mistakes. At least I hope we do. I always love to hear about the experiences of other sailors including the good, the bad and the ugly. I try to learn something from those conversations or posts here on CF and perhaps not make the same mistake others have and I hope others learn from the mistakes I have made. Nobody's perfect and I admire someone who is willing to admit their mistakes and share them like Drake does.
Old 02-12-2012, 18:36   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I agree Drakes video of that Bermuda trip shows how quickly things can turn to poo! I thought they were an honest reality check of how things can break bad even for someone with some experience like Drake. Even worse was when he went to help the other inexperienced couple on their disabled boat and his boat got damaged in the process. As they say The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Lots of lessons to learn from his saga.
We've considered the routs to the Carib and reject the idea of heading into the N Atlantic in November. It just doesn't make sense to incur the risk. Frankly, harbor skipping the E coast is for more interesting - way better restaurants, crab shacks. I lost my need to climb the mountain "because its there".
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 18:39   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
All wire halyards were popular back in the 1970s, before the advent of modern high tech low stretch cordage. They were used with so called "reel winches": the bitter end of the wire halyard was attached and completely rolled up on the drum of the reel winch--no slinky collecting on the deck. One reason they fell out of favor, is that reel winches could be dangerous--if you let go of the winch handle without the ratchet being engaged, the handle could start spinning out of control and break your arm. I'm not sure if you have a reel winch on your mast, or maybe it was taken off by the previous owner, but if you're careful, they are quite usable.

Nonetheless, your friend is quite right that a halyard made entirely of low stretch rope is much better these days. Chances are that the sheave at the top of the mast was designed for wire--if so, it must be replaced with an appropriate rope sheave.
Thanks so much for that information! I am almost certain the winch on the wire halyard side is a reel winch, not like any other winches on the boat. I googled reel winches, and saw a similiar winch used on a 1963 Spencer 35. I will no doubt have to make some changes, as what I read deemed them a danger..aka...arm breaker. Again, many thanks!
Old 02-12-2012, 18:53   #100

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Quote:
I have pointed ONE sailboat into the wind. Captain Shelly, who has been sailing continuously for the past 40+ years commented that my boat pointed nicely into the wind. Being a NUB, I would accept that comment from a seasoned bonifide Captain.
Congratulations on the acquisition of your sweet sailboat BlackOak and the relationship you are building with her. If you stick with this I have a feeling that you will own her for the rest of your life because you are trusting her with your life and you are learning to sail with her, and well that makes for some potent stuff between a human and a boat.

I just found your posts here and I have to say it just makes my heart smile that while I have been sharing my experiences on another thread of how I have encountered some issues aboard my own boat - and how I am struggling with having the confidence sometimes as I learn the Ocean despite having years of experience coastal sailing - you are out Living Large and just taking it on...in fact I referred to the guy who just goes out without extensive experience and just takes the vast Ocean on...I don't know, I just find a lot of beauty in that...and well, your original post...that is some good stuff.

Yes, it can get much worse out there...but he**, you can get completely ravaged aboard your boat inland, at a dock in 78 mph...I know by experience...

Today, before I read your post I told Chris (he was one of your first responses here) that I think I need to single hand at least just out to Cape Lookout with our boat both to build my confidence as well as his in me...and well, you are inspiring me to do it...

So while I am droning on about my issues with the chauvinism I have found that can rear its ugly head in the boys club sailing, an experienced woman Skipper has been giving you sailing lessons...

Thank you for being honest with your feelings and your experience out there...it is funny stuff and very refreshing as others have said. You have a great attitude and you are open without all the ego junk to get in the way...Good luck on your mission sailing home to Bermuda...I am rooting for you!

p.s. Those of you picking on Drake Paragon need to let up IMHO...he was doing just fine on his way to Bermuda until he was a good Samaritan and fellow sailor and helped someone who was in distress...have any of you that are criticizing him ever single handed and towed a larger sailboat on the way to Bermuda???...yeah, didn't think so...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:43   #101

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

BlackOak, just curious what type of electronics you use for navigating?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 19:48   #102
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Sir,

The sailing community is a small one. Before making such remarks about somebody who you really don't know, perhaps you should have spent more time learning about the person you are about to disparage? You have never made mistakes onboard, and learned from them, bettering yourself in the process?

That video was made in 2009. It says so right in the opening segment. I have met and spent some time with Drake and Monique, and they are both wonderful people.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Paragon should not be used to show what it's like on a passage. His character is his worst foe. I saw someone said he's experienced but he "forgot" even a basic like tying stopper knots on the sheets? Or leaving full sail for night? Ok, so he's convincing with his command of terms but I had my suspicions in the first 3 minutes of Part 1. The guy is a walking cluster. To the question of, Would I sail with him as part of crew? the answer is decidedly a resounding no! Reverse Midas touch or what, he's a carrier out to infect others. Should be quarantined.

He reminds me of a guy I once knew. A real looney tune he had a beautiful S&S 32' sloop but would only sail inside the protected bay and estuary. Once, after I finally was able to convince him to venture beyond the breakwater, the guy came even more unhinged. It's character that counts.

On the other hand, I say Black Oak has it in spades. I'll take the inexperienced honest guy over a guy like Paragon anyday.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 20:06   #103

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Sir,

The sailing community is a small one. Before making such remarks about somebody who you really don't know, perhaps you should have spent more time learning about the person you are about to disparage? You have never made mistakes onboard, and learned from them, bettering yourself in the process?

That video was made in 2009. It says so right in the opening segment. I have met and spent some time with Drake and Monique, and they are both wonderful people.

Chris
I like watching his videos. He is personable, and I admire his ability to cast off, something I wish I could do.

I would pay to crew with him sometime
Old 02-12-2012, 20:13   #104

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
... I try to learn something from those conversations or posts here on CF and perhaps not make the same mistake others have and I hope others learn from the mistakes I have made. Nobody's perfect and I admire someone who is willing to admit their mistakes and share them like Drake does.
It takes a thick skin to post on these boards at times or even on personal web sites. Mine isn't always so thick, but I seem to come back . I think if we lightened up some there would be more people posting and more of us learning ,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:21   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
BlackOak, just curious what type of electronics you use for navigating?
I have a Garmin 128, a Raymarine auto pilot, a depth finder, a cell phone, a dell laptop, a vhf radio, and a Am Fm 8 Track Stereo.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda