Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2009, 06:55   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
they sell cool little jewelry boxes with velvet insides that look exactly like Campbell's soup cans on the outside. Throw the can in with all your other canned goods. Thieves rarely rummage through canned food or try to steal it.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 06:56   #17

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
That was a rude answer, but the warning against wearing (or carrying) valuables in many ports is unfortunately quite true.
Good luck, keep on posting!
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 07:02   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Red Charlotte

I'm not sure that dressing in rags is always necessary to promote your security.
I guess it depends on where you’re going to shore.

My wife likes to see her jewelry spread as well….. such that it is.

I think one of those jewelry boxes that displays its contents as it’s opened, would be suitable for display or storage as required.
Then a safe place to stow the box....possibly a safe.

Our boat is still under refit but it will include a safe.

Horses for courses certainly has its place when it comes to attire, but I, for one, appreciate seeing people who take pride in how they present themselves.

Thank you for your part in keeping up some standards.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 07:27   #19

Boat: CT54
With my daughter and I both on board and both being girly girls we have quite a bit of jewelry lying around. We just purchased a hanging jewlery carrier. It has 48 clear plastic compartments and hangs from a hanger behind one of of doors. If I can get a regular internet signal (I am on a blackberry now) I will try to post a picture of it. Right now we are sharing one but I think we are going to purchase another one.
Most of our jewelry is not expensive so I am not worried about a safe (for the most part).
The only piece that is quite valuable is my wedding ring which is a band with a large diamond. I am actually somewhat self concious wearing it in many situations and find that I mostly turn the diamond so it is in the palm of my hand and only the band shows. It is not really because I am afraid it will be stolen but more for the reason of not wanting to give a message to those I interact with that I am trying to show off. Maybe that is silly of me but that is how I feel. I guess when we bought it I was at a different stage in my life. It is still quite valuable and I really need to be able to put it somewhere safe. I think the soup can idea is a good one.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 09:10   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Means-spirited posters...?

I honestly thought this was a joke.

Never heard of cruisers worrying about storing jewelry on a boat.
Do a searh on this and other cruier/sailor forums and see if it has been talked of before...I doubt it, but I may be wrong.

Some stuff is best left at home.
I didn't ask for your opinion on having or not having jewelry on board. I asked how you store it. I didn't ask for a dialogue about whether it's a good idea or not. If I want your opinions on those matters, I'll be sure to ask.

For those people who responded on ways they store their jewelry (gasp - other people have jewelry on board!!!) thanks. I apprecite it.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 09:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
RC,

Don't let it deter you. Members who lack tact, as it were, are truly a miniscule percentage of members here. Think about using the "Ignore" feature in your User CP. It's under "Settings and Options".
Perfect. I was hoping there was a setting like that. Thanks!
Old 23-04-2009, 09:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami View Post
However rude you might consider the reply... it was honest.
I didn't say it was dishonest. It was irrelevant to what I asked.
Old 23-04-2009, 09:31   #23

Boat: Buizen 48
RC: May I suggest you put aside your ego and sensitivity, and re-read CSy's post ... a few times.

While you may not have appeciated his "bluntness", he was "spot on" (as we say here in NZ).

I have worn a solid gold bracelet that is very difficult to remove from my right wrist due to the manner in which it is secured around it. I recall 25 years ago ... yep, not in this crazy crime filled world today ... 25 years ago being told in Rio I had only 2 choices: store it in the hotel safe, or always walk around with my right hand deep in my pants pocket (no crude remarks please) .... or else I was likely to lose my right hand.

Fast forward 25 years to this global recession driven, crazy crime filled world today and there are numerous cruising locations where you could easily find yourself in locations which would make Kingston and Port-Au-Prince (been to both) seem like Sesame St!

Then there is another personal observation while cruising: Cruisers ... real cruisers that is ... not "arm-chair or winnibago follow the crowd" ones (and there are many of both out there) tend to be anything BUT pretentious. I suspect, you would not endear yourself to a number of cruisers who observed you "strutting your gold" at the next pot-luck dinner. They are not likely say anything to you diectly, but there will be sneers behind your back.

As to your initial reaction to CSY's comments, I personally think this forum has been infected by a cancer embracing too much of the world: "PC gone wild". Thus a quote which I suggest most posters on here (including its moderator) remember:

“If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor” -
Albert Einstein
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 09:36   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
As to your initial reaction to CSY's comments, I personally think this forum has been infected by a cancer embracing too much of the world: "PC gone wild". Thus a quote which I suggest most posters on here (including its moderator) remember:
There is a big difference between "PC gone wild" and "be nice". We expect "be nice" and we enforce "be nice".
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 09:39   #25

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
"Canned answer"

I've used the can method to hide money and valuables. You can (pun intendedd) even make your own. Buy one of those hand-operated can openers that cut the lid radially instead of the usual co-axle cutting types. If you do a good job you can glue a wood or plastic plug on the inside of the lid that makes it locate well on the can and the line is invisible.

One could screw islets into the lid plug and attach rods to that that reach near the bottom of the can. Attach little fasteners to the rods that will let you hold rings, earrings, etc. double-stick tape a magnet to the underside of something convenient in your personal area that the lid will stick to so that you can view your presentation of jewelry. When leaving the boat pop off the lid putting it in the can and quickly store away.

Sound to geeky?
Old 23-04-2009, 09:54   #26
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I am with CSY man, he is not only a seasoned sailor but he has been of great to me whenever I post, reality can be perceive in many different ways and one of the problems with north america is that if somebody else has a different perception then that person get attacked as CSY did. I honesly thought it was certainly a joke...I have posted this before and I post it here again with all due respect: I-95 DOES NOT continue south of the Florida Keys. There is a different world out there and CSY may have save your live with his comments...some people don't like to be confronted with reality, you won't find state troopers or quick 911 replies out there but you will surely find an exciting and beautiful world free of walmarts. Just be safe and enjoy, jewelry will become a hassle after all.
Old 23-04-2009, 11:05   #27

Boat: CT54
I do not think the can idea is geeky at all....I think it is a great idea for hidding valubles on board. By the way not all of us have a house to leave our jewelry at since for some of us our boat is our home.
I also must say that I think that RC is right. She only asked how we store jewelry. Women have been wearing jewelry since almost the beginning of time (even cheap beads where valuable). I normally bye my earring for $10 for 5 pair (yes $2 a pair) but I still like them and like to display them. It is not about the value it is simply because I like jewlery. But when RC asks about how to store her jewlry (valuble or not) on a "womans forum" she gets told how she is going to get her throat cut?!?! Come on guys...isn't there some other rant you can get on?
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 11:33   #28

Boat: Buizen 48
I might be forgiven for thinking this thread is heading in a "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" direction ...
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 11:35   #29
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
RC asks about how to store her jewlry (valuble or not) on a "womans forum" she gets told how she is going to get her throat cut?!?!
Unfortunately I did not realize the question was on a "Womans Forum", I always scan threads using the "New Posts" search on the tool bar, not by scanning the various forums directly

Otherwise I would not have answered, or stuck my nose into this..

As for wearing jewelry in certain locations: (Yes, I know, nobody asked directly, but the cat is out of the bag..)

I lived on a boat in St. Thomas and saw firsthand how tourists wandered off the cruise ships and around town loaded with jewelry, watches and cam corders, etc. As sure as clock work you would read in the local paper next morning how many of them were robbed and how shocked these pilgrims were since the travel agents had not warned them about the risk and how they would never come back, etc, etc.

I have also been to the other places I mentioned seen first hand how high the crime rate is: Armed guards permanently stationed outside every fast-food restaurant...

Quote:
If I want your opinions on those matters, I'll be sure to ask.
If I want your opinion on my opinion, I will be sure to ask as well...

Lighten up folks.

To those who defended my honor, thanks, I am buying the beer..
Old 23-04-2009, 11:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
I might be forgiven for thinking this thread is heading in a "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" direction ...
LOL, you may be right