Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33   #136

Boat: Bristol 34
Any cruising boat should have a small safe well hidden for storing anything they do not want to part with. A Google search will reveal many little safes suitable for a boat. However, mounting a safe in plain view is asking for trouble, so a careful examination of your boat and perhaps some creative carpentry is in order. I do like the suggestion of the "can safes", which are disguised as everyday products found on boats (i.e. WD-40) which lend themselves to "hiding in plain sight".

Now as an aside, I find it interesting that guys are always asking how to interest their women in sailing and cruising. Then when a woman asks a legitimate cruising question she gets pounced on by a few. Hmmmm......
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:25   #137

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Charlotte

This might sound naff I know - but looking at your blog gave me an idea. Your new cushions on your berths are soooo thick. My husband also wants to have thick cushions made. Now I'm thinking one could take the least used berth and make the mattress out of two thinner layers of foam, attached together with Velcro and hidden in a fitted sheet. We could safety pin our small valuables to the middle layer, then when we want to look, we just pull that layer out and put it on top. If the foam is good quality, it should offset the "Princess and the Pea" effect!! Hmm, I'm thinking about this seriously now for cash (I love looking at that!) and stuff - thanks for the inspiration!

I have to admit, I have very little jewellry (he has none), and we both cunningly hide our wedding rings on our keyrings!
Love this 'princess and the pea' idea! I haven't read the rest of the thread. Stopped due to all the headachy responses many, many pages back. To anyone who responded to the question, I really appreciate it! With three years of liveaboard life and five years sailing I know I love this life and will continue to enjoy myself, grumpy cruisers aside!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2010, 04:37   #138

I use a fishing tackle box too, for my (mostly beach glass/resin/seashell) collection. Love the Princess and the Pea idea!

False drawer bottoms, decoy cans, all good ideas. We've also considered the "Purloined Letter" route - disguise something as mundane and not valuable, and hide it in plain sight. The original purloined letter story involved a document that the thief had to hide expecting a very thorough search of his apartment, a search that included (as an example of thoroughness) taking off the chair legs to see if one had been hollowed out to store the rolled-up document. The letter was successfully hidden in plain sight, on a desk, in an envelope that was scuffed and torn halfway through, as though the guy had planned to throw it away and then had second thoughts.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:33   #139

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Hide in plain site

Red:

There are many options available, after considering a bolt down electronic safe, which I'm convinced if anyone really wanted they could steal. We went with some "hide in plain sight" gadets... safes that look like gas cans, tools, etc. but really are secret "compartments" .

Also remember that your insurance may or may not cover theft on the boat so if you have any "family hierloom" type stuff, I would suggest leaving that at home.

Good luck....btw I don't take the "chatter" from the obnoxious personally
rhrrhrrhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:54   #140
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Not to worry, rh. The USCG doesn't consider anything to be a "secret compartment" unless it is built into the structure of your boat. Your gas cans and whatnot are perfectly legal in that regard.

I suppose having a "good" little safe, poorly mounted, could also be a good thing. Let the thieves see it and gleefully rip it out and carry it away, while the goodies are hidden under the galley trash.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:14   #141

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I would suggest a safe deposit box at a bank on shore. Just take costume jewelry on the boat.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 13:32   #142

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
The Admiral also likes to wear a bit of color on occasion. Additonally, I want passports and other valuable papers in a secure location when away from the boat. Since I realize any security measure can be defeated with the right tools and knowledge, combined with the requisite time, I am not trying for Ft. Knox, but rather something which will defeat the smash and grab thief. Solution for us was to purchase a small wall safe; the type designed to fit between 16" on center wall studs. This I glassed onto the hull, with multiple layers of glass and resin, in an out of sight location where it would be virtually impossible to remove without an air hammer and a couple of hours of work. Only my $.01 worth.
Cloud IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 13:47   #143
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I keep thinkin about this.. for cash as well as jewelry.

Put 2 t valves on the waste line off the head , spaced however far apart you can manage. on our boat that's gotta 1" bore on the inside. run a dummy hose between the T's. Do not ever open the valves. Slide the hose off one T and insert jewelry, cash whatever. slide back onto the t... would just look like one more crazy rigged head with nasty hoses... what crook is going to go fishing in the head lines for anything?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 15:19   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
7 year old kid...

The only theft I've had in recent times was most likely by a 7 year old kid. They can be smart, resourceful and get through openings that seem impossible. A long time before that I lost a camera to a friend of a friend of a friend.

So I'd suggest a "safe" with a light padlock for documents, small amounts of money and inexpensive jewelery.

If a desperate thief came on board I'd want them to take the contents.

I wouldn't carry lots of money or expensive jewelery.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 15:24   #145

Boat: Land Locked... ugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

Put 2 t valves on the waste line off the head , spaced however far apart you can manage. on our boat that's gotta 1" bore on the inside. run a dummy hose between the T's. Do not ever open the valves. Slide the hose off one T and insert jewelry, cash whatever. slide back onto the t... would just look like one more crazy rigged head with nasty hoses... what crook is going to go fishing in the head lines for anything?
Awesome idea. Thanks
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:13   #146
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Put 2 t valves on the waste line off the head , spaced however far apart you can manage. run a dummy hose between the T's. Do not ever open the valves. Slide the hose off one T and insert jewelry, cash whatever. slide back onto the t... would just look like one more crazy rigged head with nasty hoses... what crook is going to go fishing in the head lines for anything?
Clever girl - this is a genius idea - even Skip nodded his head for once!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 18:28   #147

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:

what crook is going to go fishing in the head lines for anything?
Especially if you use used hose!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:15   #148
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
I have a little pile of dummy decoy jewelry in an obvious place in the head. Then I have a hidey hole where the real stuff is. In general, I only wear a watch. But sometimes it's nice, when in a safe place, to dress up a bit. The jewelery I have is all one-of-kind custom stuff, back from before we were cruisers, and inherited. I would never leave it on shore in a safe- what's the point? So the kids can inherit it? Life is to be enjoyed now.

Plus I do have it insured under what's called a "personal items floater". Most marine insurance policies limit coverage on jewelry, so be sure to ask you agent about the limit per item or per category if you do keep the good stuff on board.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:41   #149

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I keep all of mine on my wife.
Old 23-06-2010, 16:18   #150

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ears_productpg
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote