Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2010, 10:42   #151

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
I didn't ask for your opinion on having or not having jewelry on board. I asked how you store it. I didn't ask for a dialogue about whether it's a good idea or not. If I want your opinions on those matters, I'll be sure to ask.

For those people who responded on ways they store their jewelry (gasp - other people have jewelry on board!!!) thanks. I apprecite it.
Neither is it polite to return rudeness with rudeness. One often begets the other .... (and by the way, the word is correctly spelled 'appreciate'.
Old 26-06-2010, 10:15   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
Neither is it polite to return rudeness with rudeness. One often begets the other .... (and by the way, the word is correctly spelled 'appreciate'.
...for those of you that have read any of my posts, you know they are either utterly ridiculous, or mercilessly riddled with engineery technobabblery. This will be a ridiculous one.

I apologize in advance for this post. (sure sign I shouldn't have hit that submit button)

Thank you!!! UWOA, we need more instructional posts to keep this forum on topic and instructive. You're post has inspired me to further this instruction by teaching some of the ins and outs of online interaction that escape those less practiced in nuanced discussion.

Lesson 1: This is a date

23-04-2009

You'll notice that this date refers to a time over one of earths revolutions around the sun ago--Michael Jackson was still alive and moonwalking at this time. If you'd care to look closer, you'd also see that this is, in fact, the very date Red Charrlotte made that post you quoted! Seems a bit late in the grand scheme of things to bring it back into discussion now.

Lesson 2: It deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht pelpoe cna raed it. Tihgns can be a toatl mses! and you can sitll raed it wouthit a pobelrm. Besides, as long as the ideas are communicated effectively, what more can we ask for in INFORMAL interaction...

Back on topic: I think displaying jewelry would be harmless when you are getting ready to go out on the town, but it can't hurt to hide it during the 'in between'. There are tons of places on your boat that thieves couldn't find given a month living aboard. Use one of them. Then obviously common sense...don't look expensive and new around the poor and disenfranchised.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 10:32   #153

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
This is what I will do:

Mounted safe hidden below the forecabin bunk. This will actually be a decoy with things of little value in it but it will have things in it along with a little money.

I will find a well hidden and hard to get to cubby hole to put valuables in, either in a package or some sort of small container that looks like garbage.

Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 12:38   #154
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
This is what I will do:

...... I will find a well hidden and hard to get to cubby hole to put valuables in, either in a package or some sort of small container that looks like garbage.

Jsut be srue thta a diilnget cwre doesn't fidn it dunrig snirpg clenaing and tsos it out wiht the gaabrge!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2010, 16:02   #155

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
What is being alluded to here is a "hiddey hole". As mentioned there are areas/recesses built into the boat when the designer tries to convert a "round" hull shape into a "box" rectangular shape inside the boat. These "dead" spaces can be quite large volume wise if impractical to use as a shelf or closet. Locating and modifying them to have removable access panels builds a "hiddey hole." Besides normal use for valuables these spaces become doubly useful when you are storing the boat and returning home for some time. You can store away all your portable and semi-portable electronics and other valuable gear that is an easy target for thieves that will enter your boat while you are gone.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 05:15   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Jsut be srue thta a diilnget cwre doesn't fidn it dunrig snirpg clenaing and tsos it out wiht the gaabrge!!
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is tahtthe frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit any porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, butthe wrod as a wlohe."

Of course, there is no such Cambridge Research; it's an urban legend. The paragraph, however, did provoke quite a storm of letters and discussion world-wide. For a look at both the international exchanges and subsequent actual research, check out this link:

snopes.com: Letter Order Unimportant

www . snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 09:42   #157

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually
Good Info

To OP, thanks for starting this thread. It has provided a lot of food for thought. I've been thinking on this as well as my hope is to retire on a boat so I would need to use this and as another poster commented, there are many items that may need to be secreted on a boat. There is amazing knowledge and fantastic ideas on this one and I'm always checking the "Women Afloat" for ideas for my better half.

Fair Winds all!!
Old 14-12-2010, 14:02   #158

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail
We are two women cruisers who own and operate our own boat, and although we have some quite expensive jewelry, we would never bring it with us while cruising. First of all, as sailors, we're always using our hands to do various tasks and wearing jewelry is just plain dangerous. We tell our guests on charters to leave the expensive jewelry (except for maybe a good watch) and most makeup at home. That goes for friends and guests too. So to answer your question: in a safe deposit at the bank, at home.
womensetsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 20:40   #159
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
How about an old Orion Flare Canister?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 21:27   #160

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
If you still have jewellery, you didn't spend enough on your last refit.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 11:07   #161
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"How about an old Orion Flare Canister? "

Wouldn't that be on the list of "grab everything that's portable on the way out" ? With no serial numbers or other pesky stuff?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 06:16   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
If you still have jewellery, you didn't spend enough on your last refit.
Indeed!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 12:18   #163

Lightbulb Display and Organise Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
I've always found that I like to have my jewelry displayed because it's pretty and easier to see my options. I'm not sure this is feasible on a boat, so I'm interested to see how you ladies (or gents) store your jewelry.
Like you Charlotte, I also prefer to have accessories displayed for easy choosing. I really like my hanging organiser (something like Amazon.com: Household Essentials 01943 Ultra 80-Pocket Hanging Jewelry Organizer: Home & Garden). It lives on the closet bar among clothes most of the time, then I can hang it on a wall hook while dressing for easy perusal. If I ever need to stash it securely, I could roll it up and secure it using any of the nice ideas in this thread.
The Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 15:57   #164

Boat: Crealock 37
Re: How Do You Store Your Jewelry ?

I leave my jewelry in the safety deposit box at home. Generally we cruise in undeveloped areas and it is never a good idea to be flashy. One needs to blend in- t-shirts, flip flops, etc.
dianacay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 09:48   #165

Re: Little Things Count...

I love your "signature"! It expresses what I feel about the sea... but I'm a woman with a man who won't consider sailing.
Islenya is offline   Reply With Quote