Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 09:29   #61

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Adelie. Thanks for the great analysis and info. The loads seem to be too high for me to consider induction, but I will continue to study it.

Well that depends on how much cooking you normally do.

How big is you propane tank and how long between fillups?
Do you do anything other than cook with propane?

If you got a single burner countertop job for about $60 you could try it out. At the very least it would be a backup to the propane.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 09:33   #62

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grith View Post
I have lived with our portable induction cooktop for around 8 weeks now. It cooked two meals a day for two to three people and around 12-18 cups of tea/coffee per day. On average we consumed around 1500kwh per day doing this.

We also ran a 40litre compressor fridge at 2 degrees and separate 20 litre freezer at minus 10 degrees. These both consumed around 400 kWh a day a total of 800kwh.

On around every third day we heated our 22litre hotwater system to 60 degrees via electricity consuming again around 400kwh.

All of these outputs run from a pair of EcoFlow Delta Max lithium power banks totalling 3500kwh of storage.

These are being charged by a 720w solar array (generally averaging around half rated production for 6 hours a day but often more if sunny) and a 12-24v vitron voltage increaser which provides 360w of charge when the outboard is running.

I have another 200w of solar charging my AGM’s which power all the conventional yacht systems.

The load of the compressor fridges is being handled by the powerbanks 12v outlet (not requiring the inverter to be activated)

Without the fridge freezer loads the AGM’s are coping very well with powering all the normal yacht systems. The EcoFlow powerbanks are producing shore power equivalent 240v with remote switching of the sine wave inverter.

In fact the systems are working well enough now that I am confident to leave my Honda eu2.2 behind and rely on solar with the outboard alternator giving a further top up when occasionally running.

As can be seen below our meals are not minimum power usage ones.

I’m assuming most of you stated units are Whr not kWhr.

1500Whr at 12v is 125Ahr.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 10:37   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Well that depends on how much cooking you normally do.

How big is you propane tank and how long between fillups?
Do you do anything other than cook with propane?

If you got a single burner countertop job for about $60 you could try it out. At the very least it would be a backup to the propane.
Absolutely. Even with an induction hob and electric kettle halving the gas usage was worthwhile.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:05   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If you do end up needing to make rice in an instant pot, the best results I've gotten (at least for short grain rice) have been from high pressure, 4 minute cook time, and letting it depressurize on its own. The biggest thing I found was to use significantly less water than you otherwise would, as the instant pot is sealed and doesn't lose water as steam like a rice cooker does. So a normal quantity of water leads to soggy, awful rice. And if there's not a little oil or some other kind of fat in there, the rice tends to burn a little and stick to the pot. So I've been avoiding making just plain rice in the thing.
That sounds like what I do when making rice in the InstaPot. Except for the oil part. I follow the instructions for short or long grain rice and it works just fine for us. Great rice. Sometimes, if I have time, I will turn on the InstaPot and saute the rice in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Once many/most of the grains are clear looking, I will add water and pressure cook. Rice comes out like it should. Not soggy or sticky. One has to use the amounts of water and rice listed by InstaPot. If one uses the amounts like one would on the stove top the rice will be soggy.

The InstaPot company has filed for bankruptcy so I don't know if there will be replacement units in the future.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:18   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
That sounds like what I do when making rice in the InstaPot. Except for the oil part. I follow the instructions for short or long grain rice and it works just fine for us. Great rice. Sometimes, if I have time, I will turn on the InstaPot and saute the rice in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. Once many/most of the grains are clear looking, I will add water and pressure cook. Rice comes out like it should. Not soggy or sticky. One has to use the amounts of water and rice listed by InstaPot. If one uses the amounts like one would on the stove top the rice will be soggy.

The InstaPot company has filed for bankruptcy so I don't know if there will be replacement units in the future.

Later,
Dan
Have you ever used a rice cooker?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 11:47   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Have you ever used a rice cooker?
No. I learned how to make really good rice on the stove top, and now the InstaPot, but I have eaten plenty of rice made in a rice cooker.

But the rice cooker led to the InstaPot...

I was thinking about a rice cooker, and on the Japanese public television, they had a program on the history of the rice cooker which was really interesting. This got me more interested in buying a rice cooker so I started reviewing them, but the "good" ones cost huge amounts of money that I would not spend, since I can make rice on the stove top pretty easily.

However, as I thunk about the rice cooker, I figured there has to be other products that can make rice without costing hundreds of dollars which led to the InstaPot. Turned out we had been regifted an InstaPot, put it away and forgot about. I found the InstaPot and started using it for Oatmeal and some rice and figure out it does a pretty good job once you figure out the dry food and liquid ratios.

For many years I shared an office with a guy from South Korea. One day I asked him how to make rice. He had no clue.
  1. He was a man and never made rice himself.
  2. His mother always made the rice and meals.
  3. Once he go married, his wife did the same.
  4. His wife, and I would guess his mother, used a rice cooker.
I love white rice but it is one of the three Evil White Foods my granny warned me about when I was a kid so I stay away from it for the most part. The three Evil White Foods are:
  1. White Rice
  2. White Flour
  3. White Sugar
So I have no need of a rice cooker since I eat white rice so seldom and I know to make it on a stove top and now we have the InstaPot.

Later,
Dan
Old 16-06-2023, 13:35   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Absolutely. Even with an induction hob and electric kettle halving the gas usage was worthwhile.
Absolutely. Propane/butane is a pain, but it is important to realise that without this option you are limited to areas of reasonable solar insolation if you do not have a generator.

This suits many cruisers, but not all. Make sure you always have adequate energy options to sustain your cooking demands.

Electric cooking has many benefits, but I am starting to see cruising boats that are limiting their cruising areas, or the meals served because of inadequate energy production. This is an unnecessary backwards step.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 15:06   #68

Boat: Imexus 28

Oops yes correct. That was watt hours.
In response to questions about cruising grounds and back up options to induction cooking due to days of sunshine in the cruising area.
I have retained my origo unpressurised alcohol stove and have 5 litres of alcohol tucked away as a backup. The induction hob sits over it with its feet dipping into holes in the covering board and a non slip mat on it.
My current trailerable yacht has a generator box built into the stern by the manufacturer which previously housed my Honda EU 2.2 generator.
My first extended trip using induction cooking and a single lithium power pack of 2014wh was mid winter and I only had 320w of solar panels.
On that extended cruise I needed to run the generator about an hour every second day which was done whilst motoring limiting the noise impact.
I subsequently upgraded the solar array, purchased a second lithium power pack and added a 12-24v vitron converter significantly upping the power production from my outboard engine. This now allows leaving the generator behind for all but midwinter likely very overcast cruises.
My previous yacht was diesel engine powered and its alternator could have easily produced any required extra power during a short period of motoring as it had a 120ah alternator.
My induction hob and eco pot slow cooker purchased many years before had sat with little use until a visiting friend who has turned from yacht cruising to caravanning reintroduced me to induction cooking via his recently installed 400ah lithium battery system.
We were discussing a few friends who nearly lost their lives due to explosions due to leaking gas accumulation and he proposed I move to induction cooking rather than change my very slow alcohol burner to gas as I had been considering.
My solar array also works adequately whilst trailering my yacht despite the mast carried over the top of my Bimini mounted main array.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0899.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	276821  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 04:09   #69
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
No. I learned how to make really good rice on the stove top, and now the InstaPot, but I have eaten plenty of rice made in a rice cooker.

But the rice cooker led to the InstaPot...

I was thinking about a rice cooker, and on the Japanese public television, they had a program on the history of the rice cooker which was really interesting. This got me more interested in buying a rice cooker so I started reviewing them, but the "good" ones cost huge amounts of money that I would not spend, since I can make rice on the stove top pretty easily.

However, as I thunk about the rice cooker, I figured there has to be other products that can make rice without costing hundreds of dollars which led to the InstaPot. Turned out we had been regifted an InstaPot, put it away and forgot about. I found the InstaPot and started using it for Oatmeal and some rice and figure out it does a pretty good job once you figure out the dry food and liquid ratios.

For many years I shared an office with a guy from South Korea. One day I asked him how to make rice. He had no clue.
  1. He was a man and never made rice himself.
  2. His mother always made the rice and meals.
  3. Once he go married, his wife did the same.
  4. His wife, and I would guess his mother, used a rice cooker.
I love white rice but it is one of the three Evil White Foods my granny warned me about when I was a kid so I stay away from it for the most part. The three Evil White Foods are:
  1. White Rice
  2. White Flour
  3. White Sugar
So I have no need of a rice cooker since I eat white rice so seldom and I know to make it on a stove top and now we have the InstaPot.

Later,
Dan
Yes, I could guess you never used one because that is the only reasonable explanation of why you think the Instapot is good for making rice, following instructions even

If you ever want to spend $50 on something, try the little gadget I linked to aboard and you will be perplexed about it’s performance. And a too tier rice cooker, like a Zojirushi, is another whole level up

Not eat rice? Mashed potatoes instead?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2023, 06:29   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You mean like this stuff:

Old 17-06-2023, 06:31   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Electric cooking has many benefits, but I am starting to see cruising boats that are limiting their cruising areas, or the meals served because of inadequate energy production. This is an unnecessary backwards step.
Agreed and having gone full electric cooking, I did wonder when we took the gas hob out if we have done the right thing. However, so far no problems and if the experiment doesn't work, well gas is easy enough to put back again and revert to a mix of gas and electric.

Pete
Old 18-06-2023, 00:12   #72

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Not sure if it’s an Aussie thing, but the BBQ on the aft rail is our backup plan if energy production from the solar panels is a problem. Gas, of course, but the bottle is outside the boat, as too are the lines and regulator which reduces the risks.

And, FWIW, even without gas on the boat I believe a gas alarm is a good idea. All sorts of things happen in marinas.
Old 18-06-2023, 01:56   #73

Boat: Imexus 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Not sure if it’s an Aussie thing, but the BBQ on the aft rail is our backup plan if energy production from the solar panels is a problem. Gas, of course, but the bottle is outside the boat, as too are the lines and regulator which reduces the risks.

And, FWIW, even without gas on the boat I believe a gas alarm is a good idea. All sorts of things happen in marinas.
We cook virtually entirely on a portable induction cooktop. We have adequate solar production on a small 28 foot trailer sailer so it can be done.
We also have a magma bbq on the stern rail but use charcoal and burn waste paper ect to get the charcoal going. The bbq does have a gas burner if all else fails but uses small canisters stored in a vented stern locker.
We are still experimenting so have retained our origo alcohol stove and carry 5 litres of meths just in case we strike solar production problems..
So far so good and we haven’t needed these backups.
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 05:45   #74

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Induction cooking is simple.
Big 3kw inverter, as much as AH capacity LFP you can fit/afford and solar you can fit.
For the small boat crowed in the below 38ft range the following receipe works well:
Solartronic 4kw inverter (quite small and oversized so you have enough overhead room), 200AH Winston 1p4S bank with BMS of your choice (recommend Electrodacus or Muller jk bms), 140A balmar small case with wakespeed regulator (this you can run even on a 10hp engine) and bifacial solar panel on your davits, a 365W 1,7m x1m longli should be manageable on every davit even on a 30ft.
Small boat not enough solar but anytime you run the engine it will refill the bank.
Yes thats not cheap but you can use then a lot 220V aplliances which at the end makes it quite economical.
Bigger boats the 304AH EVE is best bang for buck, a 600AH bank incl. BMS for 1500Euro is base, better 900AH as cells get low C load and last very long. Solar 1000W minimum, better 2kw (excluding AC).

Besides induction cooking the 230V avaliable gives you a lot cheap alternatives: cheap icemaker for sundowner, bread maker that can also be used for cakes, air fryer or a tepan yaki bbq (replacing your gas BBQ). All of them use below 2kw for 2-5min then in 500W range for 10min-30min,used in peak sun time straight of your solar.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2023, 12:09   #75

Quote:
Yes, I could guess you never used one because that is the only reasonable explanation of why you think the Instapot is good for making rice, following instructions even

If you ever want to spend $50 on something, try the little gadget I linked to aboard and you will be perplexed about it’s performance. And a too tier rice cooker, like a Zojirushi, is another whole level up

Well, no, I know what good rice tastes like and I have learned how to do it with a simple pot, and now, and InstaPot. It is not rocket science to make good rice and one does not need a machine to do it. I learned how to make rice on the stove top before there were rice makers in the US. I don't need or want another kitchen gadget, especially if it is a single tasker.

When my expensive coffee maker died, I looked for a new unit and was put off by the prices and reviews. Then I realized that all the coffee maker did was heat up water and maybe grind the beans. Why am I paying money for a machine to do this?

So I figured out how many minutes the microwave needed to heat the water to a given temperature and I just pour the water over the grounds in the coffee basket, which sits in a funnel, which sits on top of my thermos. We did splurge and bought a water kettle after we used them in Ireland. We use that thing several times a day and it is worth the money and counter space.

We don't eat many potatoes other then fries or mashed potatoes that end up as potato pancakes. I don't think we eat fries more than a 2-3 times a month and a mashed potatoes dish every once in awhile.

Later,
Dan

Tags
cooking, enc