Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2023, 16:28   #76

Boat: Imexus 28
Re: Induction Cooking info and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Induction cooking is simple.
Big 3kw inverter, as much as AH capacity LFP you can fit/afford and solar you can fit.
For the small boat crowed in the below 38ft range the following receipe works well:
Solartronic 4kw inverter (quite small and oversized so you have enough overhead room), 200AH Winston 1p4S bank with BMS of your choice (recommend Electrodacus or Muller jk bms), 140A balmar small case with wakespeed regulator (this you can run even on a 10hp engine) and bifacial solar panel on your davits, a 365W 1,7m x1m longli should be manageable on every davit even on a 30ft.
Small boat not enough solar but anytime you run the engine it will refill the bank.
Yes thats not cheap but you can use then a lot 220V aplliances which at the end makes it quite economical.
Bigger boats the 304AH EVE is best bang for buck, a 600AH bank incl. BMS for 1500Euro is base, better 900AH as cells get low C load and last very long. Solar 1000W minimum, better 2kw (excluding AC).

Besides induction cooking the 230V avaliable gives you a lot cheap alternatives: cheap icemaker for sundowner, bread maker that can also be used for cakes, air fryer or a tepan yaki bbq (replacing your gas BBQ). All of them use below 2kw for 2-5min then in 500W range for 10min-30min,used in peak sun time straight of your solar.
It’s a bit more challenging again on a 28 foot trailer sailer but we have managed as our yacht is focussed on long range live aboard style exploration cruising not sailing performance. 1000w of solar panels and 300amp hour in 2 portable drop in lithium power packs and 200amp hour of regular AGM starter and regular yacht system starter and house batteries. 12-24v vitron voltage increaser to eek a bit more charging out of the outboard alternator.
Induction cooked Steak and extras dinner for three on a recent week long cruise with additional friend on board.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	276894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	276895  

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	276896  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:30   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
We did splurge and bought a water kettle after we used them in Ireland. We use that thing several times a day and it is worth the money and counter space.Later, Dan
Am I right in thinking Americans don't really use electric kettles

Ours on the boat, 1kW 0.8 litres (0.85 US Quarts). At 0.5L it will fill two mugs to make tea.

There is a bigger 2kW kettle at home, but space is a a premium on board and the little kettle very efficient.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kettle 0.8L.png
Views:	66
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	276925  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:41   #78
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Ours on the boat, 1kW 0.8 litres (0.85 US Quarts). At 0.5L it will fill two mugs to make tea.

there is a bigger 2kW kettle at home, but space is a a premium on board and the little kettle very efficient.

Pete
A kettle on induction saves an appliance and works just as well or much quicker if using full power. I’m Dutch but after trying the kettle on induction I was immediately converted.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:47   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
A kettle on induction saves an appliance and works just as well or much quicker if using full power. I’m Dutch but after trying the kettle on induction I was immediately converted.
Yes, but you have a small nuclear reactor for an induction hub.

Didn't notice any difference from the 1kW electric kettle to the 800w induction hob. We might try a better kettle rather than the little stainless steel camping one which has a lip on the base.

Pete

Old 19-06-2023, 05:48   #80

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:

there is a bigger 2kW kettle at home, but space is a a premium on board and the little kettle very efficient.

Pete

I own an electric kettle that's somewhere at the house, as I've periodically had uses for it. But I don't use it regularly and I haven't found it worth the space for one on the boat. Neither of us is a tea drinker, so that's probably why. About the only time I heat water in a kettle is at home to make coffee (we use a coffee maker on the boat), but I have a nice stove top kettle with a thermometer and gooseneck spout, so I normally use that. I could buy an equally fancy electric kettle, but haven't thought it was worth the money.

I think some of the America vs Europe difference is that a typical outlet in an American house is only good for 15A at 120V, so 1800 watts. Which means you won't find a kettle that draws more than about 1500. Some of the European electric kettles are significantly more powerful, which gives them more of a functional advantage in use.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 05:58   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I think some of the America vs Europe difference is that a typical outlet in an American house is only good for 15A at 120V, so 1800 watts. Which means you won't find a kettle that draws more than about 1500. Some of the European electric kettles are significantly more powerful, which gives them more of a functional advantage in use.
Ah, that could be why Standard fuse for heavy domestic items in the UK is generally 13A and we have 236v.
Old 19-06-2023, 06:55   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, but you have a small nuclear reactor for an induction hub.

Didn't notice any difference from the 1kW electric kettle to the 800w induction hob. We might try a better kettle rather than the little stainless steel camping one which has a lip on the base.

Pete

In the US most portable induction cooktops are 1.8kW so yes, with a little 800W induction cooktop it won’t work well. I have never heard of such small appliances… in Europe the kitchen cooktops are 380V…

Old 19-06-2023, 06:56   #83

If you're interested in YouTube tutorials. The SV Delos has an excellent example of why and how they converted to an induction cooktop and oven. Energy use and real cooking experiences. Granted the video was posted a little while ago but they are still using it today.
wkyongae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 06:57   #84

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:

There is a bigger 2kW kettle at home, but space is a a premium on board and the little kettle very efficient.

Pete
It is uncommon in the US in homes so it is uncommon in the US on boats. Part of the reason is US "normal" outlet is 120V 15A = 1800W max but often there are multiple loads on a string of outlets so 1500W is a lot more common. That means capabilities are limited compared to your typical European electric kettle.

If we routinely had 240V 20A outlets in the kitchen electric kettles would be more common. I didn't even know they existed until I was in my 30s. Boiling water in the US routinely involves putting a kettle on the stove. We do have a 1500W 120V kettle for our boat but I would say it is atypical in the US.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 07:02   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
It is uncommon in the US in homes so it is uncommon in the US on boats. Part of the reason is US "normal" outlet is 120V 15A = 1800W max but often there are multiple loads on a string of outlets so 1500W is a lot more common.

If we routinely had 240V 20A outlets in the kitchen electric kettles would be more common. I didn't even know they existed until I was in my 30s. Boiling water in the US routinely involves putting a kettle on the stove. We do have a 1500W 120V kettle for our boat but I would say it is atypical in the US.
Yet Amazon US has more than a thousand models for sale….

Old 19-06-2023, 09:18   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
In the US most portable induction cooktops are 1.8kW so yes, with a little 800W induction cooktop it won’t work well. I have never heard of such small appliances… in Europe the kitchen cooktops are 380V…
Its the only one that will fit in the 450mm wide space which is a popular width for European gas cookers. I think the Vango Sizzle Double is aimed at the motorhome, RV, caravan market, but suits our needs perfectly. The little kettle also seems remarkably stable and hasn't fallen over yet. Its plastic so quite well insulated and tough if it does end up on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkyongae View Post
If you're interested in YouTube tutorials. The SV Delos has an excellent example of why and how they converted to an induction cooktop and oven. Energy use and real cooking experiences. Granted the video was posted a little while ago but they are still using it today.
Yes, but the Amel 53 has a 500mm wide space I think, possibly wider. There are lots of 520mm wide double hobs. I did watch the Delos video were they talk about the consumption figures for various items, think they estimated 1.5Kwh for cooking each day.

Pete
Old 19-06-2023, 11:47   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I'd like to learn more about this topic.

How much energy kwh does it use to boil 1 gal of water?
Is there a way to bake bread for example?
What equipment is best on a boat?
With light use, say morning (2) coffee & oatmeal for 2 people, salad light lunch, and perhaps a cooked dinner for two (fish, beef, or stew) what would the kwh/day likely be?
How much bigger would the batteries need to be?
Do inductive stoves require 120v/240v? Thus requiring a big inverter?
Some photos of systems and inductive cooking for boats when at sea might help.
Hello, we have 2400 watts of solar and 2600amp hours of storage , with a usable amount of 1300. Normally we generate enough power on the hook to be all electrical. We have not used our propane oven for 2 years. We have a 4000 watt inverter and use electric appliance. We make bread in a bread maker, ofter use an airfryer, 120v nuwave induction burner, have a soda maker, nespresso coffee maker, blow dryer for the wife, tv and starlink. Daily the sun provides our needs. The smaller appliances cook faster that the propane stove and generate less residual heat in the galley. We have a generator that can be used if we have 2 gray days in a row. We are in Panama.
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 13:54   #88

Quote:

Pete
Yep, I don't know of any American's that have an electric kettle. We first used one in Ireland, and when we got back home, we bought one. The Irish kettles boil faster since they are 230v vs our 120v but even the 120v kettle boils faster than our electric stove top.

Having said that, after our recent trip to the NL, where the house had a VERY nice induction cook top, I think an old style tea kettle, on an induction burner, would work at least as well as an electric kettle, if not better. I was amazed at how fast the skillet would heat up. Much faster than our electric induction hob.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 23:33   #89

Boat: Switch 51 #10

After using a single cheap induction plate for 11 years, we now have 2 double Ikea built-in induction plates. They are individually connected to a 2000W and a 2200W inverter.
The nice thing about these induction plates:
- You can program them to do a maximum power, for instance 2000, 2500, 3000 or 3500W each.
- 5 years warranty.
- Cheap
- Silent
- They are only 29 cm wide and exactly fitted in the cut-out for the 4-burner cooktop.

- By having 2 induction plates and 2 inverters we have a fallback. Also for the breadmaker, watermaker, washing machine, fridge and freezer that all run on 220V.
- One inverter is on 24/7. If that one is running for instance the water maker, we use the induction plate on the other inverter.
It requires some thinking, sometimes we make a mistake and overload an inverter, like making tea when the watermaker or water boiler is running, but that is not a disaster.

We use coin-sized silicone baking mat pieces to prevent the pans from sliding when we cook, but for the 2 rear "burners" there is also a pan holder.

For boiling water we prefer an electric kettle:
- It has a gauge so you make exactly how much you need
- It stops automatically
- It is just a bit more efficient
And a kettle on the induction plate has the same size.
Cooking dinner normally takes between 6 and 10% of the 540 Ah LFP battery. A liter of boiling water takes around 2 %.
We also just installed an oven/microwave combination. We still have propane, but only outside for the BBQ.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	induction cooktops.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	277003  
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2023, 23:51   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
After using a single cheap induction plate for 11 years, we now have 2 double Ikea built-in induction plates. They are individually connected to a 2000W and a 2200W inverter.
The nice thing about these induction plates:
- You can program them to do a maximum power, for instance 2000, 2500, 3000 or 3500W each.
- 5 years warranty.
- Cheap
- Silent
- They are only 29 cm wide and exactly fitted in the cut-out for the 4-burner cooktop.

- By having 2 induction plates and 2 inverters we have a fallback. Also for the breadmaker, watermaker, washing machine, fridge and freezer that all run on 220V.
- One inverter is on 24/7. If that one is running for instance the water maker, we use the induction plate on the other inverter.
It requires some thinking, sometimes we make a mistake and overload an inverter, like making tea when the watermaker or water boiler is running, but that is not a disaster.

We use coin-sized silicone baking mat pieces to prevent the pans from sliding when we cook, but for the 2 rear "burners" there is also a pan holder.

For boiling water we prefer an electric kettle:
- It has a gauge so you make exactly how much you need
- It stops automatically
- It is just a bit more efficient
And a kettle on the induction plate has the same size.
Cooking dinner normally takes between 6 and 10% of the 540 Ah LFP battery. A liter of boiling water takes around 2 %.
We also just installed an oven/microwave combination. We still have propane, but only outside for the BBQ.
Your build looks great. Your kettle is plastic though …. I much prefer stainless steel

Tags
cooking, enc