Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2016, 04:24   #1

When to Set a Stern Anchor?

Right now I'm somewhere where it is hard to find good literature on the subject, so I am posing a question on this forum.

I would like to know when most folks consider it necessary to set a stern anchor. Also, what is the downside to doing so, and when might a 2nd bow anchor be a better choice.

Also, if anyone knows a good e-book on anchoring, which I can pick up on the net for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: When to Set a Stern Anchor?

In a tidal river/estuary/channel where one needs to stay in place .. ie fore and aft to the flows.
Would never use 2 anchors off the bow personally.. if things looked like they may head that way I'd move to a more sheltered location.
Retrieving one anchor in bad conditions can be bad enough.. but 2.. and solo.??
Be prepared to sacrifice one with a sharp knife as it will likely be on rope with short chain.
Somewhere like a Cala you'd likely have a stern line running to a large rock or tree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cala-Pi.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	120583  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:31   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: When to Set a Stern Anchor?

I don't like 2 anchors off the bow. Generally 1 is the main anchor and the second the kedge anchor so the holding powers are not the same.

I have only anchored with the kedge off the stern on 2 or 3 occasions. Once for swell and once in a tight anchorage where everyone was ordered to by the Harbour Master
Both times it worked fine. Setting and recovering was a pain and I wouldn't like to do it solo.

But its an option.

Setting a kedge to keep you off rocks seems dangerous because if you get a squall on the beam you could be history.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 05:58   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've used a stern anchor in tight, secure anchorages to limit swing. I've also used them when tying off to shore, mostly in small anchorages. Plus I've used my stern anchor to kedge off when run aground a few times .

The only double-anchor situation I have used off the bow (outside of a storm setting) is for a Bahamian moor. I see no value in setting two anchors to do the job of one. If you need two bower anchors, then what you really need is a bigger (better) bower.
Old 13-03-2016, 06:09   #5

In a tight anchorage where there is no room to swing. If the boats in an anchorage are on 2 hooks, then you are obligated to use 2 hooks.

If the anchorage you are in is rolly, then setting a stern anchor can hold your bow into the swell, making it more comfortable. Of course, as long as there are no boats around you on one hook to swing into you.

I avoid using 2 hooks like the plague; I always prefer to swing on one anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 06:35   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
I would like to know when most folks consider it necessary to set a stern anchor. Also, what is the downside to doing so, and when might a 2nd bow anchor be a better choice.
I've never used 2 bow anchors ... and I don't want to
I set a stern anchor whenever swinging isn't an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Also, if anyone knows a good e-book on anchoring, which I can pick up on the net for a reasonable price, please let me know.
I don't, but the Rocna KB is worth a read, methinks. So is Smith's page. Obviously bias to Rocna but some good info on there that applies to anchoring in general.
Old 13-03-2016, 07:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
In a tidal river/estuary/channel where one needs to stay in place .. ie fore and aft to the flows.
Would never use 2 anchors off the bow personally.. if things looked like they may head that way I'd move to a more sheltered location.
Retrieving one anchor in bad conditions can be bad enough.. but 2.. and solo.??
Be prepared to sacrifice one with a sharp knife as it will likely be on rope with short chain.
Somewhere like a Cala you'd likely have a stern line running to a large rock or tree.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 07:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't like 2 anchors off the bow. Generally 1 is the main anchor and the second the kedge anchor so the holding powers are not the same.

I have only anchored with the kedge off the stern on 2 or 3 occasions. Once for swell and once in a tight anchorage where everyone was ordered to by the Harbour Master
Both times it worked fine. Setting and recovering was a pain and I wouldn't like to do it solo.

But its an option.

Setting a kedge to keep you off rocks seems dangerous because if you get a squall on the beam you could be history.
Thanks Mark. In fact, I did set a kedge recently to keep us off a rock, and it worked well. We secured it to the bow, and ran it through a beam cleat, out to the anchor. But that was in a situation which only lasted for about 24 hours, with no serious weather predicted.

Appreciate your responses.

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 07:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
In a tight anchorage where there is no room to swing. If the boats in an anchorage are on 2 hooks, then you are obligated to use 2 hooks.

If the anchorage you are in is rolly, then setting a stern anchor can hold your bow into the swell, making it more comfortable. Of course, as long as there are no boats around you on one hook to swing into you.

I avoid using 2 hooks like the plague; I always prefer to swing on one anchor.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thanks, but I assume you mean that the swell and wind are coming from the same direction, No?

If they are not coming from the same direction, then my bow will swing to the wind, but I could also take swell from a different direction, and, if the swell were to hit me abeam, that could feel somewhat like laying in a windy hammock. No?

Tell me what you think and if I am misinterpreting your post.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 07:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've used a stern anchor in tight, secure anchorages to limit swing. I've also used them when tying off to shore, mostly in small anchorages. Plus I've used my stern anchor to kedge off when run aground a few times .

The only double-anchor situation I have used off the bow (outside of a storm setting) is for a Bahamian moor. I see no value in setting two anchors to do the job of one. If you need two bower anchors, then what you really need is a bigger (better) bower.
Thanks Mike,

And I like your quote : )

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 07:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I've never used 2 bow anchors ... and I don't want to
I set a stern anchor whenever swinging isn't an option.

I don't, but the Rocna KB is worth a read, methinks. So is Smith's page. Obviously bias to Rocna but some good info on there that applies to anchoring in general.
Thank you. Appreciate your perspective and the links. Your opinion seems to reflect the consensus, which is that 2 off the bow is not worth the hassle or possible problems that they might create.

Fair winds,

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 08:02   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I am going to post an opposing opinion compared to many here in that I would more often select two anchors on the bow in close quarters than one at the bow and one at the stern.
I would chose the stern anchor if one rode was led to shore, but that's a rare choice for me.

I don't care for the anchors at the bow and stern because this will not allow my vessel to point into the wind or the current or the sum of these vectors. I would not want to be in a position with these forces on the beam.

When I select two anchors on the bow I use a plan that only draws upon one of these anchors at a time during the expected conditions. For example, in a tidal current flow I would set one anchor and deploy twice the planned rode as I back with the current. At this point I would lay down the second anchor from the bow and retrieve half of the original rode to draw me in to the center point between these anchors. With this plan one rode remains slack and at the tidal change I may only move about the length of my boat.

If a thunder storm pops up I'll still be pointed into the sum of activity and not with forces at my beam.
Old 13-03-2016, 08:07   #13
cruiser

We've used a stern anchor a few times, and each time it was an unsuccessful waste of time and energy PITA. We won't be doing it again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 08:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I am going to post an opposing opinion compared to many here in that I would more often select two anchors on the bow in close quarters than one at the bow and one at the stern.
I would chose the stern anchor if one rode was led to shore, but that's a rare choice for me.

I don't care for the anchors at the bow and stern because this will not allow my vessel to point into the wind or the current or the sum of these vectors. I would not want to be in a position with these forces on the beam.

When I select two anchors on the bow I use a plan that only draws upon one of these anchors at a time during the expected conditions. For example, in a tidal current flow I would set one anchor and deploy twice the planned rode as I back with the current. At this point I would lay down the second anchor from the bow and retrieve half of the original rode to draw me in to the center point between these anchors. With this plan one rode remains slack and at the tidal change I may only move about the length of my boat.

If a thunder storm pops up I'll still be pointed into the sum of activity and not with forces at my beam.
Thank you. That answers one of my up thread questions. I doubt that I would take enough force abeam to make a two anchor solution dangerous in the current conditions, but it could make us roll sideways more than would be comfortable.

Appreciate your input.

G2L
Old 13-03-2016, 08:22   #15

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I was in my favorite anchorage in the islands, and the wind picked up to 40 knots and stayed there. Boats were dragging all over. Eventually, so did I. After a couple failed attempts to re-anchor, the hook was holding. But the wind was strong and it was getting dark, and the boat was tacking like crazy. I had a second, identical anchor, so I carefully powered up and set the second anchor to make a V shape at the bow. I felt the second hook grab solidly as the boat backed off in the wind. I balanced the two anchors using the rodes. Now the boat stayed put...no more tacking. And the force due to windage was shared between the two anchors...neither one pulling too hard anymore.

As for anchor size...it turned out that my originally set anchor was fouled on an ancient tree, buried on the bottom. The tree stopped my anchor from setting deeper. When I dragged, I dragged the entire tree. I was able to pull up a large section of the tree with my anchor, to the amazement of my neighbours. A larger anchor would have made no difference. In fact, my anchor was about 2 sizes larger than most boats my size usually carry.

With the two anchors well set off the bow, I had a pleasant, although windy night. I cannot say the same for many of the other boats sharing the anchorage that night.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor