Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 23:32   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: To Tack or Jibe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
not really
Yeah, It's a lame analogy for sailors. Afterall, you have the PSC and are already savy to the moves. The umbrella comparison was a thought for non-sailors to understand the effects of the wind on the bow as to the stern.

All the non-sailors aready know to open an umbrella pointed into a strong wind.
Old 08-01-2015, 15:45   #47

Boat: 1976 sunfish/Dinghy

Yes Everyone Thank you for all your replies. I do a lot of research and most books and other avenues just don't hit the point on explaining correct way to jibe or tack and when. And I would rather find out correct way and look silly asking a question which has never bothered me versus putting myself,crew or other boaters in harms way. Great site and as always thanks for great info.

John from cape may nj

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-01-2015, 15:57   #48

Re: To Tack or Jibe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Kierjo, the thing that finally triggered the light bulb firing for me was looking at a diagram that shows the points of sail. Just focus on close hauled and running, and then when you're sailing all you have to do is remember whether the bow is going through the wind or it's the stern. I think about it as the "dead wind" zone during a tack and the "oh sh*t" zone during the jibe, if you're not ready for it.

Old 08-01-2015, 16:05   #49

Re: To Tack or Jibe???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Kierjo, the thing that finally triggered the light bulb firing for me was looking at a diagram that shows the points of sail. Just focus on close hauled and running, and then when you're sailing all you have to do is remember whether the bow is going through the wind or it's the stern. I think about it as the "dead wind" zone during a tack and the "oh sh*t" zone during the jibe, if you're not ready for it.

Thanks for the light bulb reference funny thats what I need sometimes just that little thing to bonk me in head to grasp concept!! As long as it's not the boom bonking me. Ty

Old 08-01-2015, 16:15   #50

Boat: Formosa 41

I asked Mrs. Flare the difference between a tack and a jibe.

She said, "A jibe happens fast and you didn't mean to do it and a tack is slower and you meant to do it."

Which isn't far from the truth.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 16:30   #51
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

On our boat we tend to gybe the jib first while we're heading dead downwind, momentarily sailing wing-on-wing. Then the main is centered, then we turn toward our new heading. It takes a bit longer to do things this way, but it's much more gentle on the rig, and it works well for a shorthanded crew trying to deal with 1,000 square feet of sail.

It's much more manageable for a cruising couple only to have to gybe 500 square feet at a time.
Old 08-01-2015, 16:31   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kierjo View Post
Hello sorry for this newbie question. I was just trying to find out about tack and or jibe. They both seem so similar and seem to get you to the same place. But jibe has to be more controlled is any reason why you would not just take instead of jibe? Again I usually pick things up fast but this has me at brain freeze and books tell you how to do it but not why or best reasons to do either.

Thanks for any help
John k
Generally, I would always tack if there is not other good reason. A tack feels more controlled than a jibe to me, less dangerous for people and gear...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 16:38   #53

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Yeah, It's a lame analogy for sailors. Afterall, you have the PSC and are already savy to the moves. The umbrella comparison was a thought for non-sailors to understand the effects of the wind on the bow as to the stern.

All the non-sailors aready know to open an umbrella pointed into a strong wind.
Hold a half opened umbrella with the top pointed into a strong wind.
....... this is a tack.

Hold a half opened umbrella with the top pointed with a strong wind.
....... this is a gybe.

Sorry about that, I didn't notice you'd written 'with' in the second sentence.
My dyslexia is running pamrant.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 17:04   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post

Sorry about that, I didn't notice you'd written 'with' in the second sentence.
My dyslexia is running pamrant.
Thank dog we can agree.
Old 08-01-2015, 20:21   #55

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Yes Everyone Thank you for all your replies. I do a lot of research and most books and other avenues just don't hit the point on explaining correct way to jibe or tack and when. And I would rather find out correct way and look silly asking a question which has never bothered me versus putting myself,crew or other boaters in harms way. Great site and as always thanks for great info.

John from cape may nj
Simple answer to "when" is, when sailing downwind to a destination (wind at your back) you gybe back and forth from broad reach to broad reach.

When sailing upwind to a destination (wind in your face) you tack back and forth from close reach to close reach.

When sailing on a beam reach (perpendicular to the wind) and you want to turn around and go in the opposite direction you have a choice: either fall off away from the wind and gybe around or head up into the wind and tack around.

If you haven't already done so you might consider purchasing a copy of "sailing for dummies" (or something similar). It's easy to read and will probably answer a lot of your questions.

Another option is to take a couple of lessons from a sailing school/instructor. They can teach you this in about 2 hours...maybe less.

Good luck.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 22:50   #56

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Generally, I would always tack if there is not other good reason. A tack feels more controlled than a jibe to me, less dangerous for people and gear...
Read the post of Oldfrog!
Properly executed jibe is less dangerous than a tack and not less controlled, (stress on the PROPERLY EXECUTED).
Just calculate the difference in apparent wind across the deck in the two situations.
On the other hand, if you do not understand the issue of apparent wind, you probably shouldn't jibe.

My advice to you: study the issue, and practice jibing until it becomes a standard manoeuvre and the decision will be dependent only on boat's sailing direction. You will by then feel that you have added an important skill to your arsenal.
Old 09-01-2015, 00:16   #57

Yes I am going to take some lessons. Again thank you for all your answers. I have a sunfish and sailed as a kid with my pops it's just been years since I have done some sailing on my own and sometimes over think things or have to mainly do hands on. Will be in water in spring and after mastering sunfish to a point will take classes for larger boats. But everybody has helped and I grasp the concept thanks again!!
John k

Old 09-01-2015, 00:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Simple answer to "when" is, when sailing downwind to a destination (wind at your back) you gybe back and forth from broad reach to broad reach.

When sailing upwind to a destination (wind in your face) you tack back and forth from close reach to close reach.

When sailing on a beam reach (perpendicular to the wind) and you want to turn around and go in the opposite direction you have a choice: either fall off away from the wind and gybe around or head up into the wind and tack around.

If you haven't already done so you might consider purchasing a copy of "sailing for dummies" (or something similar). It's easy to read and will probably answer a lot of your questions.

Another option is to take a couple of lessons from a sailing school/instructor. They can teach you this in about 2 hours...maybe less.

Good luck.

Thanks frog yes I'm going to take some lessons. You broke it down for me nicely. Again Thank you!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-01-2015, 10:55   #59

Quote:
Thanks frog yes I'm going to take some lessons. You broke it down for me nicely. Again Thank you!!

And yes I have purchased many books frog and they do explain but not like someone else or different explanations just like this one you gave me was great and I looked at wind chart with boats and saw exactly what u were talking about Thank you!!

Old 09-01-2015, 11:44   #60

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Properly executed jibe is less dangerous than a tack and not less controlled, (stress on the PROPERLY EXECUTED).
Sorry, this just isn't true.

Sometimes I'm not sure how folks come up with this stuff.

I've never pitchpoled during a tack.

I've never knocked my crew nearly off the boat from a tack.

I've never had all my mainsheet come out during a tack.

I've never nearly destroyed my main traveller car from a tack or knocked out the stoppers on the ends of the traveller track. (on my various catamarans)

I've done all the above during jibes.

Also, this is from racing where you do many, many tacks and jibes during one simple buoy race. When you do 4 races a day for a couple days that adds up. Now multiply that by 8-10 months a year for 12 years while in Florida.

Also, when racing you don't always get to select the perfect time to tack or jibe.

Point is you have much more control during a tack which is why people chicken jbe (tack) when conditions are bad when cruising.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, jibe, sails, tack