Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 21:11   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Landlocked in the Desert With a Five Year Plan

Hi Steph and welcome to the forum. I too was landlocked and never even saw the ocean until I was in high school, forget sailing on it. Was never on a boat bigger than my fathers 14' aluminum fishing boat. Caught the sailing bug as an adult and was never again the same. It's a beautiful dream and hope you can fulfill it.

I do agree that you should try it out, just to make sure that the reality isn't a let down. Plus there are some people that are very susceptible to motion sickness. Most adapt after a day or so on a boat (called getting your sea legs) but a few don't. My wife doesn't do well in rough weather but tolerates it and loves the sea.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 21:14   #17

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We had a 5 year plan when my husband accepted a job on the coast last fall. Somehow, we already own a bigger sailboat and will be completely moved aboard within the next 6 weeks. Too bad we bought a new bed and washer and dryer when we moved.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 21:38   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stephanie,

Real world time, and I don't mean to rain on your parade--it sounds like you may really have had an epiphany. But is either one of you mechanically inclined? A lot of cruising is fixing your boat in exotic places. And yes, there are sunsets and sunrises, and incredibly beautiful night and daytime skies sometimes. Also, there can be rain, wind, humidity, too cold for you or too hot for you.....

Do get some hands on experience, both of you, cruising can sound like an idyll, but for some people it's hell on wheels, doesn't meet their expectations, and makes them miserable, then they sell the boat at a loss and give it up. There are lots of threads full of advice, but you REALLY need to see how you feel on the water. If you get some experience and love it, well and good, and you're on your way, but if the fates send you hang-ups instead, it's really best to find it out before you're totally committed. In the meantime, if you start downsizing your closet, someone else can surely use the clothing, a sound re-cycling of nice things for others. You can set the example of not keeping up with the jones for your acquaintances, too. You guys are not the only ones who think materialism is stealing our self-hood. We take it on, we can shuck it off. Courage.

Ann
Old 17-07-2014, 05:28   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
........... You guys are not the only ones who think materialism is stealing our self-hood. We take it on, we can shuck it off. Courage. Ann
There is a great freedom in non-ownership and much of what we own does not contribute to our security; however, some so feel vulnerable without all the trappings of belongings. I expect that your description of Paul's productive work ethic may cover the need that Ann addresses about mecchanical skills. Much of today's success with mechanical problems can be solved with researching technical manuals online. Of course, experience is the best teacher.
Old 17-07-2014, 06:50   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I find sailboat systems to be very simple, easily diagnosed, but some parts are put in nearly inaccessible places is my challenge.

From a machine perspective, a boat is a simple machine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:41   #21

Boat: Liberty 458

Its a good plan. Go for it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 08:57   #22

Congrats on having a 5 yr plan, it looks like a very good, doable plan. I'm also learning, and have a very similar 5 yr plan. I would suggest you charter a monohull, then later on, charter a catamaran and see which you prefer. My only sailing experience was a 2 week cruise around the Hawaiian Islands on a friend's 65' boat, it was very comfortable, relaxing. We trolled for fish and caught one per day, we reeled in the tackle after we caught a fish.

Although it was a great cruise, I know myself enough that I'm going to want a catamaran for comfort and spaciousness. Keep an open mind and good luck!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:12   #23

Boat: Not yet!

I would love a catamaran, however I think it is cost prohibitive. I haven't seen any catamarans under 150,000 that aren't major project boats. I think the docking fees are more also due to the increased beam. I would love to have all that space both inside and out, but also want to keep a savings for contingencies...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
huttosteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 11:02   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

A cat that costs 150k (and you will find way less expensive ones, if you shop around) will also offer 150k of space. If you own 5k things you do not need, even after a dramatic (read: most painful) downsizing spree you will want 5k amount of storage space.

Forget about changing your lifestyle. It does not work this way. The lifestyle you want now is the lifestyle you will want aboard.

Do not reject the whole catamaran thing before you try it out for yourself. Something is telling me it may actually work for you.

Have fun getting rid of ;-)
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 11:14   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I find sailboat systems to be very simple, easily diagnosed
I don't think I would put it exactly this way. I would say sailboat systems(plumbing, engine, wiring, etc) can be very complex systems that are made up of a lot of very simple easily diagnosed pieces. Have a problem to fix, break it down into simple sections, isolate each section and go logically, step by step through the system.

Quote:
some parts are put in nearly inaccessible places is my challenge.
And that's a fact. Just had a talk with a friend that has a Westsail 32 who described what he had to do just to get one finger to touch the stuffing box. Forget about getting two hands and two wrenches on it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 11:23   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
........... Forget about changing your lifestyle. It does not work this way. The lifestyle you want now is the lifestyle you will want aboard.
I thought about refuting Barnakiel's advice. Afterall, we do so well with very little and we own nothing that's not on our boat. ....but then I realized that he may be right! I never downsized .... we never had "stuff"!
Old 17-07-2014, 11:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by huttosteph View Post
I would love a catamaran, however I think it is cost prohibitive. I haven't seen any catamarans under 150,000 that aren't major project boats. I think the docking fees are more also due to the increased beam. I would love to have all that space both inside and out, but also want to keep a savings for contingencies...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sometimes bargains come up from time to time due to illness or they just want to move on. I saw one for sale that I estimated to be worth between $400-450K, it was completely outfitted with the best of everything for circumnavigation. The owner listed it for $350K to start, a couple days later he dropped it to $275K because he wanted it sold over the weekend! Obviously still out of your price range, but you get the idea.

I wouldn't be too scared off by a boat with a few rough edges. Some things are cheap to fix, other things are expensive. I'd rather get a boat with great engines that needs to be waxed and cleaned up than a pristine looking boat with worn out engines and non-functioning refrigeration.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 12:12   #28

I'm all for the adventurous spirit. I made a huge lifestyle and location change earlier in my life and I'm extremely glad I did. Screw the discouragers!

Now I'm going to give you a bit of my reality concerning your plan. I have shared your dream and still do. I have done several bareboat charters and I feel comfortable sailing any boat available in the various charter fleets - mono or catamaran. Thirty to fifty feet. Great times - wish my whole life could be like those trips. BUT...at the end of my vacations, I stepped off the boat and never looked back. No cleaning, no maintenance, no repair. The times that I had something break while underway - I simply called the charter company and they sent somebody out to fix it.

Now I own a small boat that I sail on a local lake. I've learned that owning a boat is radically different than dreaming about owning one or even chartering one for a month. Even though I kind of knew that going in, I am still amazed at how much I hadn't considered. My advice to you is to buy a small, fairly simple sailboat that is not a project boat. Sail it on Lake Mead. Learn all you can about sailing and boat ownership on a small boat. Then plan your next move.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 13:58   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Now I own a small boat that I sail on a local lake. I've learned that owning a boat is radically different than dreaming about owning one or even chartering one for a month. Even though I kind of knew that going in, I am still amazed at how much I hadn't considered. My advice to you is to buy a small, fairly simple sailboat that is not a project boat. Sail it on Lake Mead. Learn all you can about sailing and boat ownership on a small boat. Then plan your next move.
This is very good advice, and well stated! I've tried to point out the difference between charters in paradise and owning your own boat in Metropolis before. The advice often seems to be swept away by "the dream", with some sad results.

Heed this man's warnings and his program for entry into the cruising life... you will be glad you did!

Jim
Old 17-07-2014, 14:02   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I find sailboat systems to be very simple, easily diagnosed, but some parts are put in nearly inaccessible places is my challenge.

From a machine perspective, a boat is a simple machine
Thus speaks the man who can do bush repairs on a helicopter!

Some boats are very simple machines, others somewhat more complicated, but as to maintenance, it really depends on the people's background and willingness to learn.

Stuff like pumps and engines are simple on boats, plumbing is basically straightforward. But the electronic stuff is beyond me. Fortunately, Jim's pretty adept.

Ann