Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2021, 09:58   #16
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 11,070
Images: 58
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

The forward chain should be tighter. Ideally the stands would have been set so that the outboard leg sticks straight out and was elevated so that the pin is more perpendicular to the hull. As someone noted those stands were meant for a powerboat, or a mobile home. Don't do any work on the boat for now.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 10:44   #17
Registered User
 
Ann Cognito's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Posts: 84
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The forward chain should be tighter. Ideally the stands would have been set so that the outboard leg sticks straight out and was elevated so that the pin is more perpendicular to the hull. As someone noted those stands were meant for a powerboat, or a mobile home. Don't do any work on the boat for now.
Thank you... I won't touch her, and will try to catch up some of the slack there but I'm pretty apprehensive about joggling that stand even a little

A rather dramatic and very long thunderstorm materialized here last night -- i kid you not -- JUST as i was reading the bit back further about 'first good thunderstorm"... I'm sleeping in a tent about fifty feet from the boat and yes i stayed awake analyzing every single noise! Nothing seems to look different today, whew

Working on getting stands... I appreciate the advice about placing them... Went looking for a nice handy diagram but between advice here and looking up photos of other people's G26's, ought to be alright
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:26   #18
Registered User
 
Nord Sal's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: POW Alaska
Boat: Trlåren, Saltjö Dunväs, Sweden
Posts: 168
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
It's clay... You'd need a jackhammer to dig
Cohesive soils will be like concrete when dry but behave plastically when wet. It's important that your supports bear on something large enough to lower the ground pressure. The boat will likely be on the hard for longer than you figure and a spring thaw with sun on one side and shade on the other could be big trouble.

You want your supports to have a wider stance like the examples posted.

Boatman's plan to use timbers as props is sound advice.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 11:33   #19
Registered User
 
Ann Cognito's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Posts: 84
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
Cohesive soils will be like concrete when dry but behave plastically when wet. It's important that your supports bear on something large enough to lower the ground pressure. The boat will likely be on the hard for longer than you figure and a spring thaw with sun on one side and shade on the other could be big trouble.

You want your supports to have a wider stance like the examples posted.

Boatman's plan to use timbers as props is sound advice.
Ok, I'll look for some
Boy I'm glad this forum is here
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 12:54   #20
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 3,098
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

He really blocked it up like a power boat!

My concern is the keel support. From what little I can see, the entire weight of the boat is on 2, maybe 3 cement blocks. If the ground under these blocks becomes soft (from rain) the boat will sink a bit, and the jack stands could push up through the hull. I doubt they would puncture the hull, but could distort or crack possibly.

The fundamentals are that the keel takes most of the weight, and the stands stop the boat from tipping over. This is hard on a sailboat hull. The hull was designed for the keel to HANG under the hull, not push UP on the hull. Fortunately, most hulls are very strong, including your G26.

The real solution is a good cradle like those sold by The Marine Cradle Shop near Toronto. They have the specs for all major production boats, do great work, and even deliver. But would cost you around $1000.

As others have said, just get that bottom paint on, and get the boat in the water. You will be much happier in the water.

I live in Kingston, not too far. Let me know if I can help.

And congratulations on getting your boat! Regardless of the size or cost, you are now a boat owner, and you get to go sailing (eventually). How great is that!!!! VERY!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 15:27   #21
Registered User
 
Ann Cognito's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Posts: 84
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Found some lumber... Probably not placed right too, it's put where and how I could, similar to the suggestion earlier

Was wondering that about the keel, what you said... Ugh, why do people say they can do things they can't?

Missed the cradle place, sent an email and will try calling again... True that's probably out of budget but might as well check... Could I get it under her now though, or is that an idea for next time?

Still looking for stands and rearranging the budget

Will do the bottom as soon as I get stands... and look for a marina and get her in asap... Was thinking to start on the Rideau but could be on the St Lawrence, will see who's got space (and relatively good rates, if i can be that picky) and can launch her

Guess painting her blue above the waterline will have to wait ☹️ (yes I know that's small potatoes, just sad about it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210614_170139847.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	444.8 KB
ID:	240372   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210614_170113611.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	240373  

Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:31   #22
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 11,070
Images: 58
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

The fact that the mast is not up is a real plus; less inclination to lean or be pushed by wind. The keel takes the weight, that's normal. If the keel starts to sink into the soil and the stands start to take the weight, the stands could damage the hull. Not to give you more to worry about! Just keep in mind the stands are meant for preventing the boat from falling one way of the other. I've seen cradles built of wood as well, sort of an upside down w with a beam across the bottom, that were adjustable, for supporting the boat side to side. In fact there was a floating dry dock that had something like that where I grew up, and it worked for all sizes of boats. Can't find a picture of it now, I'll keep looking.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:51   #23
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 3,098
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Will do the bottom as soon as I get stands... and look for a marina and get her in asap... Was thinking to start on the Rideau but could be on the St Lawrence, will see who's got space (and relatively good rates, if i can be that picky) and can launch her
Brace yourself for the prices at marinas around Kingston. I would expect the cost of summer dockage to exceed what you paid for the boat! With one exception....if you are in the military, CFBKYC is a GREAT club and operates at cost. I would love to keep my boat there.

If you ever get over the cost of a summer dock, then brace yourself again for the cost of haulout/in and winter storage. Sorry to sound like an old man here (which I am), but the costs have gone up and up and up enough to get a lot of people out of sailing. Even the "summer cradle storage" fee was high enough that I would bring my sailboat cradle home for the summer rather than pay their outrageous fee. Sorry, but these days the cost of the boat is the smallest cost in boat ownership for small sailboats. That's why trailer sailors are so popular....of course then you'll need a big pickup truck...!!!!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 16:58   #24
Registered User
 
Spot's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Minnesota, USA
Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Posts: 1,204
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Congrats on the boat A/C!

I would make a list, with the help of someone 'boaty' and trustworthy and realistic of what needs to be fixed and in what order before splashing the boat. Hull color of a watertight boat would be low on the list. For me I worked a bunch on the interior, gutting it to get rid of mice poop and shag carpeting and really bad wiring...I redid the berths and sewed cushions...only then to realize I had a soft spots on the deck and interior leaks and leaky port lights that I should have all done first. Now I still cannot keep nice things inside of the boat as it does not stay dry after a rain. Something to consider.

Again, congrats on the boat and all the best!
__________________
Big dreams, small boats...
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:16   #25
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 22,331
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

I understand how one needs to mourn the dream's loss, when it has to change. Still, I'd like to mention that the color your boat is now is way easier to pick out in rain or fog than any blue will ever be. So many things just have pluses and minuses, and you do the best you can.

Nice of hamburking to offer to come lend a hand.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:20   #26
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 11,070
Images: 58
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Actually, that's a good idea, look for a trailer for your boat. How far do you live from the harbor? A good double axle with good brakes will not be cheap but perhaps better than looking for a cradle et al. Your boat would fit well and be relatively easy to deal with on a trailer. If you launch once at the beginning of summer and once at the end, could be worth it. You would only need to rent a truck to tow it twice a year. Just a thought.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:34   #27
Registered User
 
Ann Cognito's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Posts: 84
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
The fact that the mast is not up is a real plus; less inclination to lean or be pushed by wind. The keel takes the weight, that's normal. If the keel starts to sink into the soil and the stands start to take the weight, the stands could damage the hull. Not to give you more to worry about! Just keep in mind the stands are meant for preventing the boat from falling one way of the other. I've seen cradles built of wood as well, sort of an upside down w with a beam across the bottom, that were adjustable, for supporting the boat side to side. In fact there was a floating dry dock that had something like that where I grew up, and it worked for all sizes of boats. Can't find a picture of it now, I'll keep looking.
She had wooden cradle but it hadn't aged as well as she has and it's enjoying a new life toasting marshmallows... After that, maybe Skoro has developed a good sense of balance...?

A friend sent this Marketplace posting for a cradle/trailer... Couldn't get it under her now, but could it be adapted? Or able to haul her? Have messaged the seller for more information but trust people here more than random Facebook person (I've sort of lurked here for years!)

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...609631043/?d=m
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:45   #28
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 11,517
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Those wood angled beams make it look a lot more stable. Still not great, but definitely better than before. I'd still stay off the boat unless absolutely necessary, and if you do go on board, move very slowly, and stick to the centre.

hamburking is right about watching the stands to make sure they don't push up on the hull. It's really very unfortunate you were stuck with such terrible stands. Four proper sailboat stands would have been all you needed.

hamburking is also right about marina costs. Look to some of the smaller ones. When I was down your way in 2014-2017 the cheapest I found was in Belleville (Stillwater Marina), but I don't recommend them. Bath was inexpensive when I was there. Iroquois marina was also cheaper, and very much a DIY yard. But it's downriver a bit from Kingston.

Do you have good ground tackle? If you do, you can get out and find a safe anchorage for the summer. There's some places in the Bay of Quinte where you could anchor in for long periods. You could go into the Thousand Islands as well, but it is a park, so I suspect you'd have to move every couple of weeks -- which isn't a bad thing .

Winter haul and storage will be hard to avoid unless you can get a trailer, or you try over-wintering on board. There are some marinas that allow this, but even that is not cheap.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 17:54   #29
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 11,070
Images: 58
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
She had wooden cradle but it hadn't aged as well as she has and it's enjoying a new life toasting marshmallows... After that, maybe Skoro has developed a good sense of balance...?

A friend sent this Marketplace posting for a cradle/trailer... Couldn't get it under her now, but could it be adapted? Or able to haul her? Have messaged the seller for more information but trust people here more than random Facebook person (I've sort of lurked here for years!)

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...609631043/?d=m
That's for a smaller, lighter boat, and not very good either IMO. You might also consider a good flatbed trailer, like those for hauling cars, that is modified with an adjustable cradle. I considered that for my own boat at one time.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 18:00   #30
Registered User
 
Ann Cognito's Avatar

Join Date: May 2016
Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Posts: 84
Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Those wood angled beams make it look a lot more stable. Still not great, but definitely better than before. I'd still stay off the boat unless absolutely necessary, and if you do go on board, move very slowly, and stick to the centre.

hamburking is right about watching the stands to make sure they don't push up on the hull. It's really very unfortunate you were stuck with such terrible stands. Four proper sailboat stands would have been all you needed.

hamburking is also right about marina costs. Look to some of the smaller ones. When I was down your way in 2014-2017 the cheapest I found was in Belleville (Stillwater Marina), but I don't recommend them. Bath was inexpensive when I was there. Iroquois marina was also cheaper, and very much a DIY yard. But it's downriver a bit from Kingston.

Do you have good ground tackle? If you do, you can get out and find a safe anchorage for the summer. There's some places in the Bay of Quinte where you could anchor in for long periods. You could go into the Thousand Islands as well, but it is a park, so I suspect you'd have to move every couple of weeks -- which isn't a bad thing .

Winter haul and storage will be hard to avoid unless you can get a trailer, or you try over-wintering on board. There are some marinas that allow this, but even that is not cheap.
Thank you very much for the suggestions about where to go! I have a good tent...

Very rusty sailing skills though, maybe better for me and for others if i putter around for a little while at a marina fist

I'm currently between Lansdowne and Mallorytown, and not picky about where I go except for cost (dockage, and getting her there, though I could launch near and find help to sail to a marina anywhere on lake Ontario or the Rideau or the Ontario part of the St Lawrence)

I've got one of those big rolling stairs (braked, leveled, and blocked!!!) at the stern... i think I can get the mostly unsecured mast off... Would that be better than getting on to secure it? Not sure how it'd be moved then though... Alongside her???
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Greeting From Kingston Anchors-Kingston Ontario Almond Meets & Greets 1 13-08-2015 10:58
What Is the Dating Scene Like on the Water ? RELEASEME Liveaboard's Forum 148 11-03-2010 21:18
The Multihull scene in the US. 44'cruisingcat Multihull Sailboats 23 11-11-2007 16:58

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.