Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 12:41   #76

Boat: Rafiki 37
Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Another source of free digital charts for your area would be NOAA. I recall downloading high-rez PDFs of all the overlapping areas.

It's not as good as hamburking's suggestion in that it wouldn't give you a real chartplotter, but they would be good charts that could be viewed on any PDF reader.
Old 18-06-2021, 13:57   #77

Re: Hello again, scene 1 take 2 near Kingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Ohmygoodness all over again
BMcNulty, is it adjustable?
If so, if I can really get it under her (can I???) yes please and thank you very much
And if so, Jeepers, I'm 47 minutes drive west of Iroquois... Would that fit into your trip to look at that lovely G30?
Also, Jeepers, when would your mooring offer be available?
Question about the cradle -- if I can get it under her, she does still need to get in the water asap, right? Still can't work on her here, but it'll mean a more local mover will be able to pick her up and move her (rather than the faraway man who might be able to), is that right?
I'm having trouble navigating the messages and whatnot and keeping up, I'm probably missing answering some and I apologize... Not good with tech
To Ann,
What are the terms & conditions of the place/farm where the Skoro is now situated?
Can you physically work on it there?
Are your (farm) friends there, boat saavy?
(Hull coating, removal & reapplication is "typically" not farm friendly)

Did you have first hand knowledge of Skoro?
(Have you sailed on Skoro in years past/recent)
(Do you know of Skoro maintenance & repairs first hand)
(Did the vendor give you a TTD {Things To Do} check-list)
(Did you get a Boat package (Binder of receipts, information, papers, brochures, instructions with Skoro)

If the cradle is not adjustable, it can be modified to.
Both moorings "should be" vacant.
That I need to verify.

Depending on your boat storage agreement.

If I were you.
I would want to get as much done, that Skoro needs.
Where it is.
That is usually more than paint.
At a minimum, Certainly everything that would require a haul-out.
Rudder service, ALL thru hulls; ie. plumbing, instrumentation, keel major & minor(swing keel).
Not with standing it is already mid+ June.
Depending on your storage agreement.
Most everything else can be done on the hook/mooring ball.
(But this mode is not the most "efficient")
jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:44   #78
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Incidentally, for winter storage of a boat, the IMS marina at Iroquois is hard to beat. (We keep our boat there winter and summer). They haul and mast when you want it as they have their own equipment.

On the subject of bottom paint: We've been thinking about re-doing our bottom paint for some years. Never got around to it and it looks about the same as 10 years ago. We've put a few patches on where some fell off (sanded the hull underneath first). We get IMS to pressure wash the hull when they haul her out in the Fall.

In the St Lawrence, we scrub the hull a couple of times in the season. Because of low light not much grows below the level you can reach with your arm from a dinghy (or swimming), and then you can pressure wash the bottom on haul out.

I actually think you could get by with no bottom paint on a small boat if you're not racing, but don't let the paint manufacturers hear me say that.

If you're looking for a cradle, quite a few marinas have old ones for sale. IMS has a few, not sure about the sizes.

Anchoring: we have a Delta anchor, it was on the boat when we bought her, it seems to be good enough. It's held us in pretty tough conditions in the 1000 Islands. Using an anchor is a skill that you can read about elsewhere.

As Mike says, Active Captain is very good for finding anchorages. Many of us have put in our favorite spots for our own reference .

Although some islands in the 1000 Islands are park islands, the parks don't own the river or lake bottom, even next to their islands. You are free to anchor for as long as you want. If you want to land on one of their islands for the day (to use their outhouses or picnic areas, for example) there is a small fee (about $10, iirc).

Make sure you don't go anchor on the US side without clearing in, incidentally.

Charts: We have an old copy of the Richardson Lake Ontario chart book, with some pages laminated (Iroquois and upriver). You can have it if you want it.

Sue W.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:58   #79
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post

PS. How close are you to Iroquois ON. There's G30 there I'd like to look at.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/bro...oat/1564452026

We're at IMS in Iroquois. I know the boat. It came in last summer (iirc) from Quebec. We can go look at the outside if you like.

There are a number of engineless boats at IMS including a nice Alberg 30.

Sue & Don.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:20   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
Sorry, Jeepers, but that's Allan Stokel and he's also a Forum Member = astokel

He's prepping to go on a lovely tour of the Trent-Severn Waterway this Summer.

Fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 09:26   #81

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

just to let you know...

Skoro's still standing

MOK is trying to figure out how to deliver stands

I'm hoping that BMcNulty and Jeepers kind offers of cradle and a way to get it here can work out... and i hope my answering about that isn't part of the multiple ones that didn't post/send yesterday (here and elsewhere, was a particularly wonky tech day)

if that can't work out, I totally understand and awfully grateful for the offers anyways and will figure things out with the boatmover in Quebec for later next month (and pray a lot in the meantime)

upon checking better, the mast will stay where it is, stowed on deck... it's tied well i think, also duct tape in places, it won't be shifting around at all... i completely forgot to say that way back a while ago nearer the beginning

and i keep getting tangled up in the messages and posts, and it looks like there's all sorts to figure out here - groups and friends and all - and half of what i typed yesterday didn't send/post... that's pretty much normal for me and technology, but i promise i'll keep figuring things out and get better at this... thanks for being patient with your weird idealistic newbie

so... tidily compiling advice from you all, and setting up the Climate Emergency Sailboat fb and blog and whatnot, to keep from frazzling (the not-frazzling is going better than it was, largely because of CF folks)

hope you're all having a lovely saturday... hope you're all out on your boats!
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 13:16   #82

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26

Jeepers...

What are the terms & conditions of the place/farm where the Skoro is now situated?

-- Skoro and I are at my friends' farm... we could both stay... but she really needs to go

Can you physically work on it there?
-- I could but too worried about damaging her... cushions and whatnot aren't worth big holes, and really nothing else is crucial, and i will do it all one way or another

Are your (farm) friends there, boat saavy?
-- very not

(Hull coating, removal & reapplication is "typically" not farm friendly)
-- true... it's a 68 acre permaculture place... they found a spot they're fine with me using... it's not as good as a spot as it seemed though in terms of ground... but because they don't know sailboats, and the farmcruiser hasn't fallen down, they do think i'm overworrying... they're dear, but i don't agree

Did you have first hand knowledge of Skoro?
(Have you sailed on Skoro in years past/recent)

-- no

(Do you know of Skoro maintenance & repairs first hand)
(Did the vendor give you a TTD {Things To Do} check-list)
(Did you get a Boat package (Binder of receipts, information, papers, brochures, instructions with Skoro)
-- might be on the boat... emailing previous owner

If the cradle is not adjustable, it can be modified to.
-- simple job? (relatively, i mean, or do i need welding skills or something?)

Both moorings "should be" vacant.
That I need to verify.
-- (hug) for offering even if it doesn't work out

Depending on your boat storage agreement.

If I were you.
I would want to get as much done, that Skoro needs.
Where it is.
That is usually more than paint.
At a minimum, Certainly everything that would require a haul-out.
Rudder service, ALL thru hulls; ie. plumbing, instrumentation, keel major & minor(swing keel).
Not with standing it is already mid+ June.
Depending on your storage agreement.
Most everything else can be done on the hook/mooring ball.
(But this mode is not the most "efficient")[/QUOTE]
-- I'd like to but scared that working on her will cause the straw that broke the camels back or something.... I'll have her out again somewhere before I go south, can do more then too