Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 07:20   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Nonviolent Civil Resistance - The 3.5% Rule

Dave Grossman’s Killology Research Grouphttps://www.killology.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Just because the risk of being shot is higher in the US than in for example Iraq does not mean there is a gun problem....
Give a man a gun and he will rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he will rob everyone.

Old 27-05-2019, 07:39   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nonviolent Civil Resistance - The 3.5% Rule

Quote:
Just because the risk of being shot is higher in the US than in for example Iraq does not mean there is a gun problem....
Yeah but.. Theres not as many Americans in Iraq these days..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-05-2019, 09:57   #48

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeah but.. Theres not as many Americans in Iraq these days..

Give it a bit.
Old 27-05-2019, 09:58   #49

Quote:
Citation, please.
Old 27-05-2019, 10:14   #50

*** Any time the water or weather is different from MyIdealizedOptimal™, should I not-violent back at them?
*** During a capsize or leak, am I supposed to not-violent as a way to fix the issue?
*** Pirates? Does not-violent reduce the number of throat-cuttings?

I'm at a loss here on the benefits to my cruise. Any help? I prefer Real-World rather than scholarly theory...

PS:
Was this supposed to be in the joke thread?
Old 27-05-2019, 20:06   #51

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
PS:
Was this supposed to be in the joke thread?
Nah. This topic generated multiple input discourse that's continued through four pages (so far). Over there, a single "joke" at best gets a few responses, and even my vaunted "George" series soon died. But THIS topic seems to have legs!

We now return to the topic at hand. Carry on
Old 28-05-2019, 06:38   #52

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
Please I am NOT anti-gun, I carried weapons for 30 years, I am anti-militarized trigger happy police who all to often believe that they are the occupying force in the U.S. and that "We the People" are their subjects.
Hi, Tiger,
I grew up in Chicago--the most violent city in the US for gun shootings. I lived on the Northwest Side and never saw one act of gun violence by the police. My cousin lived on the Southwest side of the city and experienced the same lifestyle and safety. Our neighborhoods were safe and the police were respected. Our neighborhoods were exclusively White. The "gun violence" that exists/existed was on the South and West sides of the city were Ghetto areas with very high crime rates(burglary, rape, murder, robbery, car jacking) in exclusively African-American areas. So, when you make generalized claims ,as you have above, they must have a reference point so that readers do not believe that this is a widespread problem but rather one that is endemic to low income, minority areas where violence is a fact of daily life and the police must be ready for a worst case scenario every minute they are on the job. For those of us who have seen real combat in the military, we are acutely aware that any small mistake can end your life. This creates a super-sensitivity that people do not need or have in safe, non-violent situations and the police who work in these areas MUST have this survival sense to SURVIVE. I am certain that if you own a 55-foot gunboat, you most likely never lived in dangerous areas as described above for the majority of your life since economics is always the great barrier between safe and unsafe neighborhoods. Earl Frederick III reports in the "Harvard Public Health Review, Vol. 19, Death, Violence, Health and Poverty in Chicago": "Among neighborhoods that reported the highest concentrations of poverty between 2005 to 2009, all were predominantly African American and one-half had the highest homicide rates based on age-adjusted data per 100,000 persons (Table 1). Chicago’s richest and predominantly White neighborhoods (Lakeview, O’Hare, and Near North) each reported one murder annually between 2005-2009. Neighborhoods with lower incomes and larger African-American populations reported significantly higher numbers homicides, ranging from 3 (in Riverdale and Burnside) to 23 (Chatham) annually." So, when you make outrageous "blanket claims" against the police, you must fill in the spaces so the reader does not assume that this "police violence" is widespread and across the board when the facts dictate that it occurs predominately in the most dangerous areas of our country where a mental error can result in the death of the police officer. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 28-05-2019, 10:38   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Rognvald, excellent post on Chicago, yet it only supports the conclusion that "extra judicial killings" are far more prevalent in low income, poorly educated communities.

Much in the media about that here in the Philippines, where the present administration has empowered the police to execute in the name of a drug war.
Those killings are recently becoming less in the cities but now increasing dramatically in the provinces.
Again, a poor country, poorly educated population, begats a corrupt atmosphere of opportunism by those in power, both civilian and enforcement.

It is the bad situation that often spawns bad reactions to local confrontations and that does include bad cops worldwide.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:13   #54

Not only is nonviolent resistance a very effective form of protest — look at the results achieved by Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. — peaceful protests do not have the immense collateral damage and hateful aftermath of armed resistance.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:13   #55

I worked in a couple of cities as a law enforcement agent that held the murder rate award when I was there, (Baltimore and New Orleans were two of them). Probably 3/4s of the murders were drug related killings. Either turf wars, witness killings, or innocent bystanders hit with stay rounds. Once you got out of the hood areas, and especially if you weren’t a drug trafficker, both cities were relatively safe.

What was startling was that a populace that was nonplussed by the killing of an innocent by a drug trafficker, would become enraged when a violent felon was killed by the police. Culture value difference to the max.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:54   #56

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

About when did police become known as "law enforcement"? Don't remember that as a kid. I remember "protect and serve"...
Old 13-07-2019, 08:27   #57

Boat: Valiant 42

Technically police are law enforcement officers (LEOs). That also covers sheriffs, us marshalls, FBI agents, atf agents, ICE agents, cbp agents, etc.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:35   #58

I don't remember them being referred to as "law enforcement officers" when I was younger. That seems to be a recent development, at least in the NE of USA. Might (or not) have some relation to their own perception of themselves in relation to the rest of the population, or in the populations' perception of them.
Old 13-07-2019, 08:40   #59

I suppose if I'm in an unfamiliar town, I have no qualms about asking a policeman for directions, but I'm less inclined towards a "law enforcement officer", wearing Oakleys, a buzz cut and no cap. Seems decidedly less friendly or helpful.
Old 13-07-2019, 09:00   #60

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I don't remember them being referred to as "law enforcement officers" when I was younger. That seems to be a recent development, at least in the NE of USA. Might (or not) have some relation to their own perception of themselves in relation to the rest of the population, or in the populations' perception of them.
The motto "protect and serve" was first introduced in 1955 in a contest for the LA police dept. It wasn't officially adopted until 1963....other cities also adopted it and variations later.

COP is an acronym for 'constable on patrol.'

Many police officers I know see their primary role as law enforcement to serve and protect law-abiding citizens.
Closed Thread

Tags
rule