Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 11:03   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Another "Youngest" record challange dies...

My goal is to become The Oldest to do something
Old 24-07-2014, 11:22   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Aviation has always been somewhat a plaything of the rich, as I believe sailing has
How many of Amelia Earhearts records had someone else doing the flying?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:34   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My goal is to become The Oldest to do something
My goal is to be the oldest doing nothing. Thats unless beer drinking is 'something'!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:40   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
My goal is to be the oldest doing nothing. Thats unless beer drinking is 'something'!
how could an Aussie not consider that something
Old 24-07-2014, 11:44   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Timeline of climbing Mount Everest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@ Robert Sailor: So dragging a 9 year old up is OK if theres an adult to act as 'check pilot'?

@ Astrid. They were due to arrive home on Saturday. No doubt to fanfare.. Cue School Band... For 17 year old student... Cue Cheerleaders for new sex symbol... Doing it all for charity... Cue huge Check held by local bank manager...

But perhaps, too, it had similarities with 7 year old Jessica Dubroff forced to take off into a storm to meet a media commitment. Did this latest one have to fly at night to meet the coming home commitment???

He only got his license in June... Its only July now...
climbing mt.everest is no big deal anymore if you have the money for the permits. aluminum ladders are left everywhere required and as long as you where your oxygen you basically just walk to the top while hired sherpas carry your gear. be prepared to pay is all or you cant get a permit.met people who have done it. what is more interesting to me is the number of private plain crashes you never hear about. pilots who buy planes later on in life like Kennedy did then take people on their last flight. no instrument experience etc is lethal.much more dangerious than any boat or vehicle.and most are never in the media cause the name aint kennedy .fairwinds and godspeed.
su2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:45   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Aviation has always been somewhat a plaything of the rich, as I believe sailing has

I believe one--her first woman to fly the Atlantic--and that I believe was at the insistence of her sponsor, George Putnam.
Old 24-07-2014, 11:54   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
seem to recall someone recently found some wreckage that could be the plane. was 2-3 years ago allready. she was using the old RDF system to zero in . guess that dont work to well unless you got alot of extra fuel to buzz around till you get a signal. seen the movie recently starring richard gere. showed just her and her pal flying everywhere. fairwinds.
Old 24-07-2014, 11:57   #23

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

The "kid" was 17 years old and had a student pilots license. His dad was a private instrument rated pilot but records don's show that he had a CFI rating.

For that matter when I was 17 I had a private pilots license and about 100 hours.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 12:36   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9medic View Post
The "kid" was 17 years old and had a student pilots license. His dad was a private instrument rated pilot but records don's show that he had a CFI rating.

For that matter when I was 17 I had a private pilots license and about 100 hours.
yea, those news reports cant be trusted. could be a typo of 9 instead of 19. over the years i lost interest in small planes .my dad survived a float-plane crash when i was 16 after one his friends died in a previous floatplane crash with three youngsters coming back from summer school.another guy who took me up one year ice-fishing died later in a plane crash. i probably met 12 men who died in private plane crashes since childhood. my brother quit renewing his license and sold his plane years ago. another associate who had a floatplane did same thing before he was 25.by time i was 20 i had lost all interest in getting a license and refused free-rides in floatplanes many times. dont trust the machine is all.a beaver a guy let me fly years ago crashed later with him flying it. he survived and walked out to nearest road. i was an air-cadet when young with a guy who had the legal license and disappeared over water.i really just hate getting on commercial flights as well. airlines using cheap parts etc. just watch that series "Mayday" on TV for an education about pilot-error and bad aircraft maintenance. knot allways i like to say. i will get their slower but at least i will get there.boats are pretty safe IMO but motorcycles or not. cant trust those idiots in cages{cars}. fairwinds
Old 24-07-2014, 13:30   #25

Sugar baby, it seems to me that you may not have the knowledge to pass judgement on the safety of aircraft...but enjoy your show!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 13:38   #26

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

I fly for a living because I can't afford to fly for fun!

On a serious note, I have lost several friends in aircraft accidents over the years.

One day you may walk out to an aircraft fully knowing it will be your last flight. You may also take that walk one day not know it will be your last flight.
k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:31   #27

Boat: Boatless
Re: Another "Youngest" Record Challange Dies...

Anyone know what type plane they were in? If memory serves me correctly Amelia Ehrhardt's grand daughter just completed a circumnavigation in a very nice TBM 750.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 12:50   #28

Boat: kelly peterson 44

The problem is not just with children its with everyone that purchases a boat or plane and because of today electronics think they can navigate their way around the world. I was a master on a 980ft container ship when I retired and watched as navigation went from rdf to gps. I was very happy in the beginning it made navigation work so much easier. I had the pleasure of helping a guy deliver his sailboat into golfito Costa Rica recently as I motored down the fairway using a terrestrial range, this moron was down in the cabin screaming at me that I was going to run his sailboat aground because his computer told him so. The point I am trying to make is that electronics are making people believe that as long as they follow the line on a plotter they will be fine. Get your heads out of your rears and learn the rules of the road and how to navigate by other means than a computer. They forces of mother nature and they other guy that wont move from his line on his computer is what will be your demise.
mpatter894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 14:04   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Sugar baby, it seems to me that you may not have the knowledge to pass judgement on the safety of aircraft...but enjoy your show!
the show is called ""Mayday"" and is a series of fact-based pilot-error and mechanical error aircrashes. it is on TLC or the discovery network as i recall.the only deliberate crash i saw investigated was the Eygtian AIR crash where pilot crashed the plane while reciting Koran verses.of course i am not qualified to perform a Cof A {certificate of airworthiness} on a plane. that was something i used to watch my brother pay his buddy to "sign-off on" periodically. JMHO i dont trust the machine and most pilots ability.check out Mayday some time on TV because it is an education of airlines using conterfeit parts, pilots taking off without enough fuel etc. i would rather finance my kid to set record for youngest mind-reader or something money cant buy. cheers
Old 27-07-2014, 14:48   #30

Boat: too many

Let us not forget the rare youngster that comes along and exceeds the skill set of parents and other adults in their chosen endeavor.

Laura Dekker.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
record