Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 18:41   #1

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Antifoul. One Dies Another Is Born

Has anyone got any experience with Hempel Olympic?
I was looking online for better prices for antifoul paint in Australia and came across this one from a company in Victoria.
I've never come across it before but they claim it's used by the Aus and US navies, and CSIRO etc which gives it a bit of cred.

Went to ask the question on the last antifoul thread and found it was closed... I guess it had too much poison in it

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 04:54   #2

Re: Antifoul. One Dies Another Is Born

I have used Hemel for the past 12 months in a high growth river near Brisbane. Its been quite good and I'm going to redo it with the same again next week, not because it needs doing but because I need to haul out for another reason and figured I might do the bottom paint as well. It appears to have some bottom slime but not much else. ive been a bit slack with diving in and giving it a scrub.
bubble777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 13:49   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble777 View Post
I have used Hemel for the past 12 months in a high growth river near Brisbane. Its been quite good and I'm going to redo it with the same again next week, not because it needs doing but because I need to haul out for another reason and figured I might do the bottom paint as well. It appears to have some bottom slime but not much else. ive been a bit slack with diving in and giving it a scrub.
Thanks. Being a high fouling area I'm assuming you're using the soft/ablative one and not the hard one?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 14:21   #4

Hi
Have used Hempel Olympic for over 6 years now. In the North West Carib. It has worked well. It is a hard ablative so we have to scrub it about every 3 months or so to bring up new paint since we are a sailboat. Three coats last about 2 years but the water is fertile where we are. Will continue to use it if it is available where we are now.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote