Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 08:21   #151

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Another "Youngest" Record Challenge Dies...

Thank you Gord... I'm no behavioral scientist and can only speak from experience.

The nonprofit that I volunteer with, Educational Recreational Adventures, teaches anyone fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, skiing, archery, and stream ecology. At risk youth and those with behavioral issues especially seem to thrive during our programs.

Also interesting, are parent/child events where we pry phones from fingers of the Parents and get them to present.

However I digress... Still support teens and adults risking life and limb to feel alive. It's a personal choice IMO.

JimK
Old 31-08-2014, 03:18   #152

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I've been reading Abby sunderland's book 'Unsinkable' (never a good reference for a boat), and I'm intrigued by a number of things. I've read some threads in CF about Abby when she was doing her trip and of course when she finished. Too depressing to read too much of them. The almost psychopathic level of posts against The young 16 year old and her family was quite disturbing to read. But also what I picked up in the very few that I looked at were what appeared to be false assertions by the armchair commentators. I've seen this about other young knees too.

For example, the claim that she was 'inexperienced' whereas her book clearly has her as a very accomplished and experienced sailer at 16.

The claim that she has not trialled the boat 'Wild Eyes', at all before setting off?. Whereas in her book she answers this that she has done 1500miles in preparation. Personally I don't have the experience to know if this is enough, but if my intention was to head off on a long cruise then I think I'd just go.

The claim I read that she was an inexperienced 'soloist', was true and she had only soloed for a period of 24 hours. Certainly not long enough for 'me', but she basically did it, so it worked for her.

Criticism about her boat I'm not sure were justified, well some aspects but not entirely.

And of course there were so many other claims, most false leveled upon her and her family. One if the most obvious, as implied in this thread that it was all a publicity thing, which I don't think was true. She was just a sailing junky as someone else said about Dekker, and her parents did not push her into it, far from it I think.

So, why is it, that young people taking such extraordinary challenges are met with such criticism, and even derision? Why is it that some are met with such overwhelming attacks, whilst others are less of a target? On this thread, It seems by and large Laura Dekkers skills are acknowledge (not on others threads or at the time), where as Gabby's are put down or diminished.

And I understand and pretty much agree that I'd feel happier if one of my children (6) passed over doing something they loved than in a car accident or otherwise non sensical endeavor.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:10   #153
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
The almost psychopathic level of posts against The young 16 year old and her family was quite disturbing to read.
That's your opinion Ted.

Like politics theres plenty of people who are as intelligent, knowledgeable and experienced as you who vote the other way.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 06:30   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
That's your opinion Ted.

Like politics theres plenty of people who are as intelligent, knowledgeable and experienced as you who vote the other way.
Your reply doesn't make any sense?

Are you suggesting that if there was a 'vote' on whether many of the posts written about some of these young teens are 'attacking posts' that many would disagree and what? Describe them as just concerning I suppose?

'Vote the other way' as apposed to what?
Old 31-08-2014, 14:55   #155

Quote:
The almost psychopathic level of posts against The young 16 year old and her family was quite disturbing to read. .
umm, meant to have written 'pathological' not 'psychopathic'. Not sure if that was an ipad change or I was getting pretty fatigued when I wrote that.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:45   #156

Quote:
umm, meant to have written 'pathological' not 'psychopathic'. Not sure if that was an ipad change or I was getting pretty fatigued when I wrote that.

You got it right in the first place 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
record