Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 17:37   #1306

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
Some concept I'll never understand. I don't wanna sound judgemental here, but the Youtube folks live the time of their lives and party on their boats while the viewers, who are working two, three jobs to pay the bills, are providing that fancy life style. Am I the only one who's puzzled here?
Lexi, you are not! IMHO this is not different from the entertaining industry, just a different delivery media.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:10   #1307
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
Some concept I'll never understand. I don't wanna sound judgemental here, but the Youtube folks live the time of their lives and party on their boats while the viewers, who are working two, three jobs to pay the bills, are providing that fancy life style. Am I the only one who's puzzled here?

Time of their lives? From what I gather it takes many hours to just edit a video. This doesn’t take into account the time spent filming or possibly doing something they really aren’t interested in but do anyways as it makes for good content. But none of this is as bad as the lack of privacy. How often do you think they get recognized and harassed, I’m sure in all good intentions by the harassers.
Time of their lives? Nah, to me it would be a full time job from hell and would actually distract from what I consider a cruising live aboard lifestyle.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:38   #1308

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knots View Post
More jealous people.

Which people are you claiming are jealous, and of what? Do you think those who watch the sexy video are jealous and that’s why they watch or do you mean the poster you responded to is jealous?

The poster you responded to noted that the video with more tiny bikinis and butt pix got watched more than the video where that wasn’t as much of a focus. In other words, he said “sex sells” and there’s nothing very surprising about that. But I don’t understand how your comment relates to that post?

I think I appreciate a beautiful woman as much as anyone, but if I click on a UTube sailing video or one about any other subject I’m interested in at the time, I’d prefer that the video be primarily about that subject rather than anything else, and that includes lots of nearly naked women. Similarly, if I clicked on a video purporting to have lots of beautiful naked women I’d be disappointed if it’s primary focus seemed to be about something else. Of course, while sailing in the tropics, bikinis are pretty practical and common attire so I’m not suggesting the ladies need to dress up like Eskimo’s, just that in a sailing video, if they want to be taken seriously by actual sailors, most of the focus needs to stay on the sailing or the boat repair being demonstrated, or whatever the subject is advertised to be. Of course some of the UTube “sailing”channels let it be known that their primary focus IS on boobs and butts so everyone knows that they aren’t really much about sailing and people like me who prefer actual sailing videos can pretty easily avoid them. No jealousy, just want to see a video about whatever the subject is claimed to be, not something else.
Old 26-01-2021, 18:46   #1309

Boat: Passport 41

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but the concept of trying to make a living by documenting your cruising seems like... a massive chore. Ya, tons of talent, skill and good genetics but their content is not a byproduct of cruising. These folks did not "by chance" film **anything**, these are entertainment businesses. Go sailing. Make money some other way.
Old 26-01-2021, 19:20   #1310
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am quite sure that these successful YouTube producers become affected by their success.
Fan fawning, commercial freebies, assumed expertise and the narcism of editing would eventually give them a sense of entitlement.

So I don't judge the changes as anything other than a byproduct of a self centered world, which we all tend to live in....... Albeit privately!
Old 26-01-2021, 20:01   #1311

Boat: Other peoples

I've always wanted to sail.
If it wasnt for Sailing La Vagabond then it may of never happend. They are insperational.
Thanks to them and other V blogging sailors they have motivated me and many others to the pastime. They also show you that you dont need years of experience to go cruising. They have demystified sailing to a whole new generation.

They provide a great show, as reality TV as you can get.

If anyone thinks Riley and Elayhna were simply given a Cat then you are mistaken. If anyone thinks Riley was given his Monohull then your mistaken, it was 8 years of hard work. Simply watch the movies to be corrected. If anyone thinks making movies is easy and fast then your also mistaken.

Good on the both of them and all the Vbloggers being able to live the lifestyle they choose by how they choose to do it.

A big thank you to all you tube V bloggers for making entertainment that simply would not be possible if they were not earning a quid out of it. Cheers to you.
Old 26-01-2021, 20:38   #1312

Boat: Freedom 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
I've always wanted to sail.
If it wasnt for Sailing La Vagabond then it may of never happend. They are insperational.
Thanks to them and other V blogging sailors they have motivated me and many others to the pastime. They also show you that you dont need years of experience to go cruising. They have demystified sailing to a whole new generation.

They provide a great show, as reality TV as you can get.

If anyone thinks Riley and Elayhna were simply given a Cat then you are mistaken. If anyone thinks Riley was given his Monohull then your mistaken, it was 8 years of hard work. Simply watch the movies to be corrected. If anyone thinks making movies is easy and fast then your also mistaken.

Good on the both of them and all the Vbloggers being able to live the lifestyle they choose by how they choose to do it.

A big thank you to all you tube V bloggers for making entertainment that simply would not be possible if they were not earning a quid out of it. Cheers to you.
Hear hear! I am not a super fan of La Vagabonde but I love some of the less well known vloggers ... "Sailing Uma" and "Expedition Evans" are current favorites. The former has occasionally ventured ashore and done some things re hiking in the areas they visit. Recently they sailed up a fjord in Norway and spent the afternoon videoing a tour of a Viking village. It was surprisingly interesting and well done too. The latter are restoring a hurricane salvage boat.

I absolutely love the fact the sods in Hollywood are loosing eyeballs to these "little people".

And yes, I am a sailor too. I don't make any videos because I am too damn lazy.
Old 26-01-2021, 22:37   #1313

Boat: Saving up for my first boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
One of the few I watch regularly, although I will admit its because I am amazed whenever she gets out her violin...
Yes, she's quite the talented musician. I really like that cut in the intro where she spliced 5 versions of herself playing and singing a different part. Quite good!!
Old 27-01-2021, 00:37   #1314

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
Unpopular opinion I'm sure, but the concept of trying to make a living by documenting your cruising seems like... a massive chore. Ya, tons of talent, skill and good genetics but their content is not a byproduct of cruising. These folks did not "by chance" film **anything**, these are entertainment businesses. Go sailing. Make money some other way.

I think you’re right about that. It does seem like it would be a big intrusion on a nice lifestyle to always be thinking of filming all the things you do and then editing it etc. But if they didn’t do that,unless you’re a retiree or a trust funder, how do you afford to go sailing constantly like they do? Getting a job first and saving enough to buy a boat and pay for years of cruising up front just doesn’t happen for all but a very few. Maybe a surgeon? Even Fatty Goodlander or John Kretschmer, both very knowledgeable sailors and interesting people and accomplished writers don’t make even close to the money that the top utubers make. So I can see that it’s a very viable way and probably the only way for these people to enjoy a cruising lifestyle and once they get accustomed to having the camera in their lives a lot of the time, like many other things, they get used to it so it doesn’t seem so bad.
Old 27-01-2021, 02:55   #1315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
Yes, she's quite the talented musician. I really like that cut in the intro where she spliced 5 versions of herself playing and singing a different part. Quite good!!
You're talking about Sailing Magic Carpet I presume.....
Yes, I'm always wanting to hear more of that song. She did it quite well.

I have been watching their channel for a short while now...and I agree that they are nicely done...more like a travel essay. I do cringe occasionally though at the properly (or overly?) enunciated English though....it's un-natural to my ear
Old 27-01-2021, 03:16   #1316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I think you’re right about that. It does seem like it would be a big intrusion on a nice lifestyle to always be thinking of filming all the things you do and then editing it etc. But if they didn’t do that,unless you’re a retiree or a trust funder, how do you afford to go sailing constantly like they do? Getting a job first and saving enough to buy a boat and pay for years of cruising up front just doesn’t happen for all but a very few. Maybe a surgeon? Even Fatty Goodlander or John Kretschmer, both very knowledgeable sailors and interesting people and accomplished writers don’t make even close to the money that the top utubers make. So I can see that it’s a very viable way and probably the only way for these people to enjoy a cruising lifestyle and once they get accustomed to having the camera in their lives a lot of the time, like many other things, they get used to it so it doesn’t seem so bad.
As a Millennial I can assure you processing photos and posting on social media is not a chore - it's a part of life. If it's not on Instagram - it didnt happen. Like it or hate it, it's the norm with this generation.

Youtubing is a natural progression. Especially if you have an interesting life and content to post. For the rest it's 10 sec videos on tiktok.

For the younger folks it can also give them a sense of purpose since they haven't had a 40 year career prior to sailing. Making videos can be their career achievement.

Having a successful channel that's out there on the internet with million of viewers is not small feat. It's something you can look back and be proud of.
Old 27-01-2021, 05:05   #1317

Boat: Saving up for my first boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
You're talking about Sailing Magic Carpet I presume.....
Yes, I'm always wanting to hear more of that song. She did it quite well.

I have been watching their channel for a short while now...and I agree that they are nicely done...more like a travel essay. I do cringe occasionally though at the properly (or overly?) enunciated English though....it's un-natural to my ear
She's Canadian (not sure which part) so that might have something to do with it.

The only thing I've noticed is the way she pronounces words like pass, mass, lass.... she pronounces it "pahss"

You should go back and watch some of their very early ones if you haven't already. The one about her $1 one dollar boat "Curlew" is great, and the ones about Aladino restoring that boat are great. He is a professional boatbuilder and he's got mad skilz.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:06   #1318

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

I think some people here have lost their perspective, if they ever had any. Compared to most of the shallow, self-indulgent, trash channels on youtube making millions of dollars a year, where middle schoolers are already millionaires for reviewing candy bars, even the most successful/sellout sailing youtube channel is preferable viewing. And you can be sure that the'yve had to put more work and time into each episode and each dollar earned. I understand that you may not like one channel or another for their style, or how they "beg" for "handouts", but just the act of cruising and managing that lifestyle and taking care of a boat just to have the base requirements for a sailing channel is a lot of work.
Old 27-01-2021, 06:30   #1319
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Lexi, you are not! IMHO this is not different from the entertaining industry, just a different delivery media.
what makes you assume i think differently about the entertaining industry? i have not wasted a second of my life watching tv.
Old 27-01-2021, 07:11   #1320
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Time of their lives? From what I gather it takes many hours to just edit a video. This doesn’t take into account the time spent filming or possibly doing something they really aren’t interested in but do anyways as it makes for good content. But none of this is as bad as the lack of privacy. How often do you think they get recognized and harassed, I’m sure in all good intentions by the harassers.
Time of their lives? Nah, to me it would be a full time job from hell and would actually distract from what I consider a cruising live aboard lifestyle.
it is not a real job, not a career whatsoever. although i like the fact that some can do their own thing thanks to the technology, but their future is in the hands of the youtube management. everyday youtube finds a way to cut part of their royalties. when the gravy train reaches to the last station, they will have no way to explain their youtube years on their resume. it's already so hard to be hired as is. the good thing for youtubers is the fact that the technology advances everyday, so google itself will become obselete one day, so as youtube for being part of it, because a simple cellphone will have the juice to do everything that the google servers can do. it might take only a decade maybe, who knows. in about a decade, artificial intelligence will do the editing, and recording drones will be able to shoot much more amazing things without any piloting, very cheaply as well. so in about a decade or two, youtubers will hopefully won't have to let companies like youtube to keep the %99.99 of their advertising income as they will be independent from youtube thanks to the advancements in technology. it was, once, time of paper media, their bosses dictated what people's brains will consume. then radios came, then movie theathers showed up, after that tv channels, not too long ago, in the 90s, for a show that you watch on youtube, you needed a network and an expensive team. now internet, social media, and video sites like youtube is taking over. thanks to the technological advancements one person can do everything a big network team can. and as i predict, thanks to the technological advancements one day there will be no need for a company like youtube to do such things. today there is almost no need for cable or such any more, everbody is a reporter and movie maker. now youtube, twitter dictates what will be watched or censored and etc... as the technology advances, when the cell phones will be able to do everything that social media, youtube, and such servers can do, there will be no need for youtube or company like that to make this happen. yes, a creative and adaptable person can survive in any technological environment. although, i'd recommend the youtubers to save as much as they can while they are still young and beautiful. still a good hobby, but not a real job. a doctor, an engineer, a lawyer, like it or not, will always be valuable at the end of the day. even mother nature decided to take us all back to the stone age, there would be a need for a good doctor and a civil engineer, not a youtuber - but then after the hunting of a long day, by the campfire, some good story teller will probably volunteer to entertain the tribe.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard