Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2021, 07:36   #1291

Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

My favorite is Sailing Good Bad and Ugly.
Old 26-01-2021, 07:39   #1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Cool. I have laughed at shameless advertising, and it does have a breaking point. I saw the Sailing Doodles episode you mentioned and it was over the top with the girls butts, as far as breaking the barriers of good taste. Judie was laughing and as we looked at other videos on YouTube later, asked why a particular episode had 200,000 hits while the one next to it had 10,000. I asked her if she didn't notice the first one showed the girl basically bursting out of her bikini? End of story. So, sell the videos by generating hits with women who are wearing little or no clothing-nothing new about that!
More jealous people.
Old 26-01-2021, 08:13   #1293

I also like Sophisticated Lady.
Old 26-01-2021, 09:31   #1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knots View Post
My favorite is Sailing Good Bad and Ugly.

They are pretty entertaining. And, doing it about as "on the cheap" as it is possible to do.
Old 26-01-2021, 11:01   #1295

My family is just learning about sailing, but we watch Sailing Zatara as our #1 YouTube goto. We've recently started watching The Sailing Family.

Mostly because we can relate to the families in terms of age, kids, and homeschooling.

I did watch Sailing Soulianis until they got to FL. There was one episode in which they turned from a cute couple to annoying as all heck and I had to unfollow. Too much whining and it they were turning me off of sailing.

I've tried a few other channels but it always seems one or both sides of the couple are unbearable. How do so many lazy, ugly, dumb guys get attractive women?

I'll check out a few others that have been mentioned here!
Old 26-01-2021, 13:22   #1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockS View Post

I did watch Sailing Soulianis until they got to FL. There was one episode in which they turned from a cute couple to annoying as all heck and I had to unfollow. Too much whining and it they were turning me off of sailing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. They were a lot more entertaining when they were coming down from Minnesota or wherever they are from. A lot of these channels seem to have a shelf life and you can go from really enjoying them, to all of a sudden being a little tired of them, pretty fast.

I certainly enjoyed Sailing La Vagabonde a lot more when they were in the old Beneteau than after they got the cat.
Old 26-01-2021, 14:09   #1297

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. They were a lot more entertaining when they were coming down from Minnesota or wherever they are from. A lot of these channels seem to have a shelf life and you can go from really enjoying them, to all of a sudden being a little tired of them, pretty fast.

I certainly enjoyed Sailing La Vagabonde a lot more when they were in the old Beneteau than after they got the cat.

That progression is common for many channels as they switch from infotainment to advertorial. Delos is one that didn’t seem to change much, whereas SLV definitely did change. I’ve pretty much been turned off all the channels I used to watch. Besides, as we sail more (and soon transition to full time cruising) why bother watching others sail when we have our own lives to live?

Any channel that is generating weekly videos is working full time - when do they actually have time to enjoy themselves for real? And the constant navel gazing of out takes where they talk about a scene that was just shown and what they were feeling bores the sh*t out of me. Hence my disappointment with the 80 North Series, sigh. Am I too old for this watch me culture?
Old 26-01-2021, 14:35   #1298

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
That progression is common for many channels as they switch from infotainment to advertorial. Delos is one that didn’t seem to change much, whereas SLV definitely did change. I’ve pretty much been turned off all the channels I used to watch. Besides, as we sail more (and soon transition to full time cruising) why bother watching others sail when we have our own lives to live?
One of the reasons we watch sailing videos is to see the areas that people are visiting. There are some areas we would not mind visiting, that we would never have thought about, if not for the videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Any channel that is generating weekly videos is working full time - when do they actually have time to enjoy themselves for real? And the constant navel gazing of out takes where they talk about a scene that was just shown and what they were feeling bores the sh*t out of me. Hence my disappointment with the 80 North Series, sigh. Am I too old for this watch me culture?
YouTube showed me a new channel the other day which has videos that are about five minutes long about something the guy finds interesting. He is UK based but has done videos for things in other countries. He is getting quite a few views, so I assume he is making a good living. Videos we have watched have been about why Dasani water is not sold in the UK, the vinegar that is not vinegar that is sold in chip shops in the UK, why one should not possibly NOT drink from the hot water tap in the UK, etc.

He seems to have a pretty good business model in that the videos are short, thus filming and research time/expense is reduced, he can produce more videos per week and he likely gets more viewers since it does not take a large investment of time to watch.

The long videos some of the sailing vbloggers produce really take a buy in from the viewer. Anything over 30 minutes can be tough to find time to watch. There is a channel that I watch, and am very impressed with, that is about naval warships mostly from the 1900 to 1945ish. They guy goes into some very great detail on technology and individual ships. He must be retired or makes a living just doing these videos due to the time it takes to produce the content. One problem I have is that some of his videos are an hour or longer so it can be hard to find the time to watch some of his productions. They are brilliant to watch though.

We have thought of an idea of a YouTube channel, that would be "sailboat" based, but not in the usual, stereotypical way but I don't know if it would be worth the effort to do, AND as pointed out earlier in someone else's post, one would loose privacy doing these videos. Having said that, the Dirona blog has certainly opened doors that would not have happened to just anyone.

Later,
Dan
Old 26-01-2021, 15:09   #1299

I haven't read all 87 pages of this thread, so forgive me if they've already been mentioned, but I would recommend Desiree and Jordan of Sailing Project Atticus for lots of boat projects, liveaboard challenges and strikingly mature philosophical insights sprinkled into the matrix. They have a whole season where they refit their boat in excruciating detail and it's fascinating.

The regular episodes:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MzikiZn92IQAj0

The refit is in another playlist called Atticus Updates:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Mr5S4raXNl-J3m
Old 26-01-2021, 15:59   #1300

Boat: Saving up for my first boat

Anybody watch Sailing Magic Carpet? It think she does a really good job. She's a much better storyteller than your run-of-the-mill YouTuber...
Old 26-01-2021, 17:21   #1301

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
One of the reasons we watch sailing videos is to see the areas that people are visiting. There are some areas we would not mind visiting, that we would never have thought about, if not for the videos.

YouTube showed me a new channel the other day which has videos that are about five minutes long about something the guy finds interesting. He is UK based but has done videos for things in other countries. He is getting quite a few views, so I assume he is making a good living. Videos we have watched have been about why Dasani water is not sold in the UK, the vinegar that is not vinegar that is sold in chip shops in the UK, why one should not possibly NOT drink from the hot water tap in the UK, etc.

He seems to have a pretty good business model in that the videos are short, thus filming and research time/expense is reduced, he can produce more videos per week and he likely gets more viewers since it does not take a large investment of time to watch.

Later,
Dan
Lol, in my son's generation Tom Scott is YouTube royalty...
Old 26-01-2021, 17:23   #1302

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post
Anybody watch Sailing Magic Carpet? It think she does a really good job. She's a much better storyteller than your run-of-the-mill YouTuber...
One of the few I watch regularly, although I will admit its because I am amazed whenever she gets out her violin...
Old 26-01-2021, 17:28   #1303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
I haven't read all 87 pages of this thread, so forgive me if they've already been mentioned, but I would recommend Desiree and Jordan of Sailing Project Atticus for lots of boat projects, liveaboard challenges and strikingly mature philosophical insights sprinkled into the matrix. They have a whole season where they refit their boat in excruciating detail and it's fascinating.

The regular episodes:

Yeah, they were discussed about 10 pages ago. Thumbs down for contrived reason to sell their boat, launching a Kickstarter asking for money to buy a new boat, and for heavily censoring comments on their YouTube channel allowing only comments with fawning adulation.

But I agree with you on their first couple years. His work to fabricate their hard top was topnotch. But they are transitioning into a different phase of cruising that is much better funded.

In general, we are watching YouTube channels transition from folks who allow a peek into their austere lifestyle into well funded full time entertainers with brand management skills. Good for them, but it's boring to me now.

Peter
Old 26-01-2021, 17:29   #1304

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post

The regular episodes:

Yes but you ahould have. Their antics and drama to get a free boat is well documented here. Unforgivable.[emoji846]
Old 26-01-2021, 17:31   #1305
cruiser

Some concept I'll never understand. I don't wanna sound judgemental here, but the Youtube folks live the time of their lives and party on their boats while the viewers, who are working two, three jobs to pay the bills, are providing that fancy life style. Am I the only one who's puzzled here?
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard