Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 17:32   #1276
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Being genetically endowed with danglies makes us jealous. Itís primal.
Zaida does not think those dangles are genetic.... more like silicone endowed
Old 24-01-2021, 18:31   #1277

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Zaida does not think those dangles are genetic.... more like silicone endowed

That's one of the reasons why I'm not a boob guy-anybody can buy a pair. And they just don't look or feel right... Now, nice legs?! Yea!! You either got em or you don't...
Old 24-01-2021, 22:23   #1278
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
That's one of the reasons why I'm not a boob guy-anybody can buy a pair. And they just don't look or feel right... Now, nice legs?! Yea!! You either got em or you don't...
100% Organic!Click image for larger version

Name:	7%20Sealife%20%20DSC_0013.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	231161
Old 24-01-2021, 23:55   #1279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
100% Organic!Attachment 231161

AND...nice legs! Lucky man.
Old 25-01-2021, 02:16   #1280

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Yea! BTW....Bobbie met this latest gal while she was at work in a NYC flower shop.

"Hello, I'm Boobie, I mean Bobby....NICE rack you have there. Would you like to go sailing with me for free? Only thing you need to do is prance around in a bikini all day while showing off that most glorious and impressive set of mammaries you have. Oh, I will be filming the entire time"

Evidently works.
Haha indeed! Itís a great working relationship... he gets viewers, money and boobs, she gets a holiday in the sun and free advertising for her co.

Brilliant really😁

N
Old 25-01-2021, 04:52   #1281

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

I just watched the recent Gone With The Wynns episode. Anyone else getting worn out by "gotta-release-something-to-get(paid" episodes that meander?

Its a low bar, but to his credit, Bobby is at least candid that he needs to release videos - any video - in order to earn a living.

I guess sitcoms just age-out with writing that just becomes boring. Between pandemic limits on travel, sponsored episodes, and evaporated creativity, programs have universally lost their luster for me.

Peter
Old 25-01-2021, 10:12   #1282

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I just watched the recent Gone With The Wynns episode. Anyone else getting worn out by "gotta-release-something-to-get(paid" episodes that meander?

Its a low bar, but to his credit, Bobby is at least candid that he needs to release videos - any video - in order to earn a living.

I guess sitcoms just age-out with writing that just becomes boring. Between pandemic limits on travel, sponsored episodes, and evaporated creativity, programs have universally lost their luster for me.

Peter

Bobby's "low bar" is what turned me off from Doodles in the first place. Something about the way he pimps out women, whether they're willing participants or not, just didn't sit right. Some of the others were just same old, same old. Sampson Boat has yet to show a boob, but retains my interest every week. That channel and Sea Dog, but then I hope I never see his boobs...
Old 25-01-2021, 15:32   #1283

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamme View Post
Wow ó this is a whole other level. Delos and Isbjorn crews sailing to Svalbard (80 degrees North). Just finished watching; highly recommended.
https://80northseries.com

We paid USD10 (almost double for our paltry NZDs) for access to the series, given the topic and the reviews in this thread.

Weíve watched the first two (of 4) episodes and I am split in my appreciation: awesome visuals of a fascinating area, reasonable story line and engaging and interesting people, but poor editing (lots of repeated and some out of sequence scenes) and excessive numbers of reality-TV outtakes (is there a proper name for that?) continually interrupting the narrative flow. It comes across more as an extended advertisement for SV Delos and 59 North rather than as a documentary of a circumnavigation of Svalbard.

I was particularly disappointed that they did not cover sailing to Svalbard - the logistics and execution of that passage from North America are very interesting to me and I thought it would be included in the series. Oh well.

So overall, I give it 3/5. YMMV
Old 25-01-2021, 15:39   #1284

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We paid USD10 (almost double for our paltry NZDs) for access to the series, given the topic and the reviews in this thread.

Weíve watched the first two (of 4) episodes and I am split in my appreciation: awesome visuals of a fascinating area, reasonable story line and engaging and interesting people, but poor editing (lots of repeated and some out of sequence scenes) and excessive numbers of reality-TV outtakes (is there a proper name for that?) continually interrupting the narrative flow. It comes across more as an extended advertisement for SV Delos and 59 North rather than as a documentary of a circumnavigation of Svalbard.

I was particularly disappointed that they did not cover sailing to Svalbard - the logistics and execution of that passage from North America are very interesting to me and I thought it would be included in the series. Oh well.

So overall, I give it 3/5. YMMV
I haven't watched it (yet), but I know Brady had wanted to try and sell it to Netflix or a "real" network, so maybe he went the reality TV route to make it more salable? Obviously he didn't find any takers...
Old 26-01-2021, 00:20   #1285

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:

Peter
Itís starting to feel that way! A combination of them being unable to venture far and us being unable to get to our boats, means Iím all caught up on YT and now just watching random TV instead...

N
Old 26-01-2021, 00:40   #1286

Sorry to correct you but they weren't "given" the million dollar boat. As part of raising the boats awareness they were given a "deal". Like a product placement deal in a movie. A good discount I am sure but definitely not given. I've been following this Ozie guy and his wife since their very humble beginnings. I only wish them and their child good things.
Old 26-01-2021, 03:25   #1287

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodleoo View Post
The La vagabond couple shoots some very professional videos with excellent scripting. They were just given a $1 million catamaran by a French manufacturer and have over 200,000 subscribers that contribute by a site called "Patreon". I'm afraid that they have left the traditional cruising couples behind at this point. Too bad, I really enjoyed them. I believe that almost all of these YouTube cruisers are surviving through donations on Patreon.
It was my understanding that Outremer did not gift that boat to them. But, they did sell at cost and set up a loan with extremely favorable rates. They just announced they are selling La Vagabond. Perhaps because they are expecting their second child. Delos... Brian was a successful software engineer and did quite well. Sold house, cars and belongings to cruise. Ran out of money in Australia and everyone took jobs. Soon after getting back on the water, their channel became very successful and soon after Patreon came on the scene.

Back story on the videos is 40 to 60 hours of editing for 30 minutes of program. Delos and Vagabond both have outside help now on the editing. I thought about starting a channell, but realized I want to enjoy my time cruising rather than face a monitor while I edit......Then, I also enjoy my anonymity.
Old 26-01-2021, 03:34   #1288

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemenza View Post
youtube..

Sailing Vessel Prism
Sailing Nervous
White Spot Pirates
Rick Moore
Geoff Waller
Sailing Nandji
Couch Sailors..
Drake Paragon. one of the first on youtube..
Don't forget Sailing Uma..... "Don't buy a couch" I found them on Step 3 or 4
Old 26-01-2021, 05:58   #1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post

Back story on the videos is 40 to 60 hours of editing for 30 minutes of program. Delos and Vagabond both have outside help now on the editing. I thought about starting a channell, but realized I want to enjoy my time cruising rather than face a monitor while I edit......Then, I also enjoy my anonymity.
As a retired film/video editor and post production studio owner
Something is terribly wrong if these channels are spending more than one
hour per minute editing,
Could be many reasons
Boredom,Too many versions, lack of vision, trying too hard,
Lack of good digital asset and clip management.
Poor work flow planning.
Most likely a combination of all.
My tip would be, build the program wall to wall in no more than
4 to 5 hours, then go back and tweak
Really good editors do not try to build the final show as they go
I read or heard somewhere that Mr. Brady and Blue of Delos
spent 2000 hours editing their recent 3 part series of
I believe 20 minute segements
So 2000 hours per hour of programming
Just plain nuts.
This is not a complicated documentary where material and clips
have to be researched and sourced. Itís a relatively simple story.
Bottom line for me is
If I couldnít hit the jump forward button
all these channels would be too painful to watch
I donít follow any on a regular basis
Cheers
Neil
Old 26-01-2021, 07:04   #1290

Quote:
A lot of the travel series we watch have made this transition.

Most of them normally post videos a month or two after to give time for editing, so thru May-June, there wasn't a big hit on quality. I think many saw the writing on the wall so they stretched the new material out a bit.

Then many started pulling out old unused video to edit something together, so it was OK but a little lower quality for another month or two (say thru August).

Lately, it's been getting pretty rough as they've truly gotten into posting any unused video they could find or making new video with inane stuff, just so they can post.
Closed Thread

Tags
liveaboard