Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 12:25   #1156

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Youtube liveaboard stars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I really find it interesting how people watch the blogs, and then ............ complain about the content.

I, for one watch YT for entertainment and to gain knowledge. I realized years ago, ANYONE can make a YT video, whether they know what they're talking about or not. When someone acts like they're an authority, and says something that is misinformation, thereby teaching someone the wrong way, it makes my head explode. I have a descent background in FG boat repair. When someone "teaches" the wrong way to do a repair, I don't have a problem pointing that out. No different if I were a mechanic, or a doctor. There are channels that I've started to watch, trying to figure out how to repair my brakes, and then realize the guy is just winging it, and doesn't really know what he's doing. I'm not gonna critique him, cause I'm not a mechanic. I'm just going to find another channel that helps me.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:21   #1157

Boat: Columbia 45 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
There are channels that I've started to watch, trying to figure out how to repair my brakes, and then realize the guy is just winging it, and doesn't really know what he's doing. I'm not gonna critique him, cause I'm not a mechanic. I'm just going to find another channel that helps me.
Agree with your comment. I do the same thing. I rarely leave negative comments unless something being taught is grossly in error. Seems to be a lot of channels where guys are just experimenting and don't know what they are doing.

In my boat refit I realize that I know nothing about fiberglass repair and finally found an incredible channel where the guy is an expert and goes into great detail and his reasoning for doing something a certain way or method. The channel is called BoatworksToday. Still would like to find a channel that deals with the design level of boat cabinetry. In other words how to redesign the interior and assemble the various components of cabinets, bulkheads, etc. I think I can implement the design once I have the layout. In other works, how to tie in the new construction into the existing hull, frames, bulkheads, etc.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:37   #1158

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Of course, that's like saying the Rock makes $10mil per movie, so I'm going to go out and be a millionaire movie star.
My teenage sons were telling me for a while that they were going to be "youtubers", because of a handful of people they watched who were making millions. I told them that was like saying you were going to go into professional sports because of some rich athletes you saw. For every one who actually makes it, there are thousands who dream.

I don't begrudge anyone who makes money on youtube. The handful of channels I watch (Atticus is/was one), I do because of high quality videos that are entertaining. I enjoy watching a good mix of sailing and boat maintenance; I care a lot less about beautiful beaches and tiki bars (not that I don't like those things, I'm just not interested in watching someone on youtube enjoying them). But regardless of what activities are portrayed, a poorly produced video is not interesting to me, and there are many of those for every decent production on youtube. And that production value is what earns the money.
Old 26-12-2020, 16:47   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmissile View Post
Agree with your comment. I do the same thing. I rarely leave negative comments unless something being taught is grossly in error. Seems to be a lot of channels where guys are just experimenting and don't know what they are doing.

In my boat refit I realize that I know nothing about fiberglass repair and finally found an incredible channel where the guy is an expert and goes into great detail and his reasoning for doing something a certain way or method. The channel is called BoatworksToday. Still would like to find a channel that deals with the design level of boat cabinetry. In other words how to redesign the interior and assemble the various components of cabinets, bulkheads, etc. I think I can implement the design once I have the layout. In other works, how to tie in the new construction into the existing hull, frames, bulkheads, etc.
Boatworks today is a great channel. No more rolling an tipping anymore! For your cabinet work check out Sail Life. Dude completely remodeled his boat.
Old 26-12-2020, 20:54   #1160

Youtube liveaboard stars?

Then there are people who does everything right-bikinis, sixpacks, sun, high production quality, but still get a few hundred view. You can tell these guys tried really hard, didnít get results then gave up.

https://youtu.be/O-6D3duYaZI
Old 28-12-2020, 00:57   #1161

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
That's news to me. Where did you find that little tidbit?

A NEW St Francis 45....wow. Who says Youtubers don't make money.
We are looking for a 45ft ourselves and wanted one as soon as we could but were told by the broker hulls 1-3 have gone already and the first to The Wynns as they had a large following. My point was simply that it doesn't guarantee sales (seawind 1370 hulls 2,3,4 are for sale still) and if it turns out badly they have a lot of marketing advantage to knock you.
Old 28-12-2020, 01:17   #1162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Then there are people who does everything right-bikinis, sixpacks, sun, high production quality, but still get a few hundred view. You can tell these guys tried really hard, didnít get results then gave up.

I think if you look at what they have done (freediving, skydiving, 7x yoga vids, camera reviews, villa review, wingsuit flying, family life and having a baby) I think they just like making videos about everything.. meaning its not massively appealing to any one group.
Old 28-12-2020, 01:45   #1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
We are looking for a 45ft ourselves and wanted one as soon as we could but were told by the broker hulls 1-3 have gone already and the first to The Wynns as they had a large following. My point was simply that it doesn't guarantee sales (seawind 1370 hulls 2,3,4 are for sale still) and if it turns out badly they have a lot of marketing advantage to knock you.
I thought ruby rose had hull 2. And they are up to hull 50 now....

Does looks like St francis needs better mareting. This Ad for the 45 is pretty horrible.

"We are still selling new SF50s but this advert is for a new SF45ft model so please ignore the technical details but have a look at the images of the SF50 to see the quality of St. Francis Marine!"

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...-sf45-7364900/
Old 29-12-2020, 14:54   #1164

Quote:
I thought ruby rose had hull 2. And they are up to hull 50 now....

Does looks like St francis needs better mareting. This Ad for the 45 is pretty horrible.

"We are still selling new SF50s but this advert is for a new SF45ft model so please ignore the technical details but have a look at the images of the SF50 to see the quality of St. Francis Marine!"

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...-sf45-7364900/
I don't know what boat Ruby Rose are currently in but St Francis are yet to make hull #1 of the 45...i don't know if you were in here when Hugh Howey bought the first MK2 St Francis 50... but that didn't go as planned either as they fell out and he refused to show the boat after much pre launch hype about its brilliance.... i know as it was supposed to be shown at the Miami boat show and we flew from the UK specifically to get a good look at one but they failed to show up.

I have started looking at Schionnings and Balance 451s now as I really want to get on with our journey and Vlogging...
Old 30-12-2020, 03:15   #1165

Quote:
Then there are people who does everything right-bikinis, sixpacks, sun, high production quality, but still get a few hundred view. You can tell these guys tried really hard, didn’t get results then gave up.

it is still a grind, thats why I can not hate on these channels even if the content is not my cup of tea. A lot of these content creators hope to make it big in 6 months but thats not how it works for the majority of them. You have to have a mindset that you will be having a fulltime job for a long time and make close to nothing. YT pays around $2to $4 for every 1000 views. You need a lot of views to even make more then a minimum wage. The real money is ofcourse in patreon.
Old 30-12-2020, 04:17   #1166

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

YouTube does not pay much at the volumes niche channels like these generate.

I find the anchor testing by SV Panope incredibly useful. Given how frequently I see it cited on forums like these suggests there is a decent reverberation effect too. Yet Steve describes in a recent video that the channel is pretty expensive to keep going even with donated anchors (I'm guessing he means shackles, rode, fuel, etc). YouTube pays him about $50/mo for which he is thankful, but it doesn't cover the nut.

Steve started a Patreon site. He states he has no intention of leaving his job which he likes, just looking to cover some costs. And frankly, if I were him, I'd be interested to see if the work is considered valuable within the boating community.

Personally, has enormous value to me. He is the ONLY channel I will support. Plus he seems like a nice and genuine guy just trying to help.

Peter
Old 30-12-2020, 06:01   #1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegeek View Post
i YT pays around $2to $4 for every 1000 views. You need a lot of views to even make more then a minimum wage. The real money is ofcourse in patreon.
People say that but there HAS to be more to the story otherwise many of these YT'ers wouldn't be able to afford EXPENSIVE new catamarans.

Examples....

La Vag- NEW Outremer

Ruby Rose- NEW Seawind 1370

Wynns- NEW St Francis 45

MJ- NEW catamaran build

There is another young couple whose name I forgot buying a NEW catamaran.

These are all people that have upgraded since becoming popular.

Then there is Zatara in a $750K Privilege 58 who also upgraded from a mono.

I'm surprised Delos hasn't plunked down a deposit on a 7 figure catamaran. Maybe soon.

Bottom line, these people are making HUGE $$$ to afford owning and operating these yachts. So I'm not buying the not making much money statements.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:17   #1168

The other thing that amazes me. These people can beg and you know what?...the money starts ROLLING in.....

Boo hoo hoo....our boat has termites. Please buy us a new boat...

Within days-----BOOM $65,000!

Another example....

Ah man...I really screwed up and trashed my boat single handing. I'm not gonna ask you all to help me so I can repair the estimated $100,000 in damages that my insurance won't cover. I would never do that....uh uh, no way.

But hey, sniffle sniffle, I would REALLY appreciate you giving me money so I can buy a NEW boat cos I really don't wanna fix my old yacht. But I'm not gonna admit that yet until AFTER I get your sucker money.

TOTALLY amazed as I shake my head.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:21   #1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
People say that but there HAS to be more to the story otherwise many of these YT'ers wouldn't be able to afford EXPENSIVE new catamarans.

Examples....

La Vag- NEW Outremer

Ruby Rose- NEW Seawind 1370

Wynns- NEW St Francis 45

MJ- NEW catamaran build

There is another young couple whose name I forgot buying a NEW catamaran.

These are all people that have upgraded since becoming popular.

Then there is Zatara in a $750K Privilege 58 who also upgraded from a mono.

I'm surprised Delos hasn't plunked down a deposit on a 7 figure catamaran. Maybe soon.

Bottom line, these people are making HUGE $$$ to afford owning and operating these yachts. So I'm not buying the not making much money statements.
You mean Tula's Endless summer? Their new seawind 1160 came out of no where. They were always suppose to be the minimalist low budget kids. New cat doesn't really fit well but what the heh.

Sailing channels depends mostly on patreon. Youtube ads revenue doesn't do a lot for sailing channels. A million views on a sailing channel is probably the same as 200k on a financial advice channel. Nate O'brien's channel shows how one of his vblog video nets 5 time less than his own financial advice videos with similar number of views.

Zatara probably had 8 figures before he started. I don't think they really need the money, which is probably why they don't do patreon. I get the feeling they like building businesses and Zatara is kind of a like a pet project.
Old 30-12-2020, 06:30   #1170

Quote:
You mean Tula's Endless summer? Their new seawind 1160 came out of no where. They were always suppose to be the minimalist low budget kids. New cat doesn't really fit well but what the heh.
Yea...I think that's them. Kids in a candy store....."Announcing our NEW catamaran...YAY!"

Well, good for them. I don't know what else to say.

Obviously there are A LOT of people willing to throw their hard earned money at these folks.

Tags
liveaboard