Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 16:52   #31

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
Re: Winter liveaboard options for the average guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
$10 we never hear from OP again
Hey mate I reckon youve lost your ten bucks lol

Sent from my D6653 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sardean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 16:52   #32

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Good on you, Rob. Seems like a lot of folks underestimated you. Your experience, and needs. Some are probably disappointed that your great score isn't a floating wreck and you won't be someone they will laugh at. Consider having the boat dumped into Lake Okeechobee if fresh water is your preference. That way you can enjoy the winter and decide which coast you want to head for. Plenty of marinas in Fl. Keep in touch and let me know how it goes. I, for one am pulling for your sucess, not hoping you fail. I got in trouble for my last post by the censors, so I'll have to tiptoe for awhile til their feathers unruffle. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase. We don't all think we killed the Dead Sea, or put the salt in the Oceans.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 18:44   #33

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardean View Post
Hey mate I reckon youve lost your ten bucks lol

Sent from my D6653 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Beat me to it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 18:56   #34

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Is this old Hatt a wooden hull model? The reason I ask is insurance may be very difficult to obtain and some marinas won't take a wooden boat and none that I know of will take any uninsured boat. Good luck and my advise is look at Aqua Yacht Harbor.

River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 21:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
OK, this is a perfect thread for all of you naysayers who are always saying it ''can't be done'', ''boat is not good at that price'', ''too much work'' ''not enough experience'', ad nausim.
To the original poster, All right, I'll do it for you. Tell me what area you want to be in I will find a place for you. Just takes a little keyboard work. And by the way, those 2 Ford 427 engines in that boat have a street value of about $10,000, as is. You made a hell of a deal.
Still not convinced he got a deal. People telling him it's a steal is a far cry from it being a steal. Also some of the questions don't make sense for someone with the experience he claims. Maybe I'm wrong.

To the OP: If you are really just looking for a marina, go to the Active Captain website. They have pretty much every marina and one item they track is those with a travel lift. I would start looking in the Kentucky Lakes area. You do get some wintering boats there but it puts you past the worst parts of the trip and you can slowly work your way south. Of course, you will still need a viable heating system on the gulf coast there are occasional hard freezes.

The reason people are suggesting the Erie Canal/ICW is it's a shorter trip to get to warm weather. The trip around Michigan is great but it's the wrong time of the year. You would be looking at upwards of 800 miles of open water heading north as the winds get cold and marinas are shutting down for the winter before you even get to Chicago. Also, the Mississippi would be far less forgiving of an unreliable boat. By going the eastern route, you have the short hop to Buffalo then you are in protected waters except for a single coastal hop from NYC to NJ. After the Erie Canal, it's almost all southbound chasing the weather south.

Good luck and I hope I'm wrong about the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:29   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
Is this old Hatt a wooden hull model? The reason I ask is insurance may be very difficult to obtain and some marinas won't take a wooden boat and none that I know of will take any uninsured boat. Good luck and my advise is look at Aqua Yacht Harbor.

Thnx, Ive sent Aqua Yacht an application already, just getting inpatient Shes a glass classic, inside is amazing, clean bilge, interior isnt quite immaculate, but way better than we expected, all doors function as should, and look as good as they did in 74. I havent looked into insurance yet, didnt realize this was a must, any suggestions? I for 1 hate insurance co, feel theyre just a racket. I grew up in chicago, driving EVERYDAY in hrs of rush hour traffic, doing HVAC service. 25yrs of driving, well over a million miles, NEVER a claim or 1 against me, and Im just sick of being forced to pay for something Ive never felt I ever needed, when is enough enough? thnx again
wildmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:02   #37

Ha ha, Wildmountain, we all hate insurance, that's one of the fabrics that binds and unifies the human race. Seriously though, many marinas won't let you in without insurance, especially for live aboard, for which there's usually a $500 premium. However, if you can avoid the marinas that require it and you plan on spending a lot of time at anchor, you should be okay without it.

I wouldn't stress though, you shouldn't have any trouble finding insurance. My last boat was a well loved 1974 with an inboard gas engine (sailboat), I had no trouble finding insurance, I even got multiple quotes. You're probably looking at under $1000/year.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:18   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Wildmountain man- it appears you are more cunning than we assumed based on your original post, which did seem a little uninformed . Congratulations on buying a ~$35,000 boat for $3000! However, it really isn't a $3000 boat if it is going to take $10,000+ to transport it to where you desire... it is a $13,000 boat, which is still a fantastic deal. I've been looking for three years for a boat like that with no success.

Might I suggest transporting it back to near its birthplace? There is a wonderful selection of boatworks near Beaufort, NC on the ICW in an area protected from hurricanes. For example, sailors literally from around the world plan their refits around Bock Marine. It is very inexpensive to keep your boat in a slip there and they have every marine service imaginable. If required, insurance at local marinas is only liability insurance which is very inexpensive. Also, they have a very nice, clean little clubhouse with a washer, dryer, tv, wifi, showers etc. You could even put your boat on land to work and live on it for an additional fee above storage. Additionally, Beaufort is a great place to spend the winter and has been listed "Coolest Small Town in America" on Travel Magazine's last two surveys.

There are other protected choices as well, Jarrett Bay Boat Works and Core Creek Marina. JBB is a bit pricey, but CCM is a new marina and is ridiculously inexpensive and has a small motel on the property in addition to the marina. Not very scenic there but cheap (I pay $20 per month for land storage for a 19 foot boat, there is even a security gate.)

I'd be glad to help you make arrangements, just send me a PM. I'll even show you the local waterways, help you find your way around, pick you up at the airport, keep an eye on your boat in the summer, show you how to maneuver your boat with twin engines etc. Just send me a PM.

People here aren't trying to crush your dream as some have projected (in the psychological sense,) they just don't want to see you get into a situation that is over your head.

If you've got an extra $50,000 to buy a slip, you can have a 50' slip in paradise with a swimming pool, elegant club house, hot tub, floating docks and a 1/2 mile sandy beach. Dock association fees $250/month.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:52   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You got a very good deal because of the motors. A great majority of people won't consider gas motors in a big boat, because of the fuel consumption, and then most of them sit at the dock and never go anywhere, so no fuel is consumed. Go figure.
But gas motors in a big boat kills resale, and Diesel re-powering is more money than you would think, hence there are great buys on nice big gas powered boats out there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:56   #40

Hi Gradyho what's the name of the marina that you dock in I would like to check it out
jmenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:56   #41

Boat: 32 Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenster View Post
Hi Gradyho what's the name of the marina that you dock in I would like to check it out
Send me a PM.
Grady
S/V Anejo
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 14:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Wildmountain man- it appears you are more cunning than we assumed based on your original post, which did seem a little uninformed . Congratulations on buying a ~$35,000 boat for $3000! However, it really isn't a $3000 boat if it is going to take $10,000+ to transport it to where you desire... it is a $13,000 boat, which is still a fantastic deal. I've been looking for three years for a boat like that with no success.

Might I suggest transporting it back to near its birthplace? There is a wonderful selection of boatworks near Beaufort, NC on the ICW in an area protected from hurricanes. For example, sailors literally from around the world plan their refits around Bock Marine. It is very inexpensive to keep your boat in a slip there and they have every marine service imaginable. If required, insurance at local marinas is only liability insurance which is very inexpensive. Also, they have a very nice, clean little clubhouse with a washer, dryer, tv, wifi, showers etc. You could even put your boat on land to work and live on it for an additional fee above storage. Additionally, Beaufort is a great place to spend the winter and has been listed "Coolest Small Town in America" on Travel Magazine's last two surveys.

There are other protected choices as well, Jarrett Bay Boat Works and Core Creek Marina. JBB is a bit pricey, but CCM is a new marina and is ridiculously inexpensive and has a small motel on the property in addition to the marina. Not very scenic there but cheap (I pay $20 per month for land storage for a 19 foot boat, there is even a security gate.)

I'd be glad to help you make arrangements, just send me a PM. I'll even show you the local waterways, help you find your way around, pick you up at the airport, keep an eye on your boat in the summer, show you how to maneuver your boat with twin engines etc. Just send me a PM.

People here aren't trying to crush your dream as some have projected (in the psychological sense,) they just don't want to see you get into a situation that is over your head.

If you've got an extra $50,000 to buy a slip, you can have a 50' slip in paradise with a swimming pool, elegant club house, hot tub, floating docks and a 1/2 mile sandy beach. Dock association fees $250/month.
We are wanting to be south, where its warmer, doesnt require winterization or 4 space heaters. Is NC that warm? ICW are also a lil intimidating for us, so, for the 1st year, weve agreed to stay inland. But we are planning to become Loopers, taking our time tho, maybe 5yrs to complete it. Kids are 3 and 2, so weve got time, but when we do run up the east coast, wed certainly like to check out the area, and appreciate the offer
Old 05-10-2015, 14:30   #43

Boat: 32 Rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmountainman View Post
We are wanting to be south, where its warmer, doesnt require winterization or 4 space heaters. Is NC that warm? ICW are also a lil intimidating for us, so, for the 1st year, weve agreed to stay inland. But we are planning to become Loopers, taking our time tho, maybe 5yrs to complete it. Kids are 3 and 2, so weve got time, but when we do run up the east coast, wed certainly like to check out the area, and appreciate the offer
WOW, I've never heard anyone call the ICW "intimidating". If I want to go to Charleston or Beaufort, NC I usually take the outside, leaving from Winyah Bay. Sometimes I jump back in at Little River, get a bite and a brew then out again to the Cape Fear and up to Wilmington for the waterfront entertainment. The ICW is so slow, passive and boring, although, let me add here that the wildlife and scenery in the ICW from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown is some of the most beautiful on the whole waterway.
Grady
S/V Anejo
gradyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 16:03   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

ICW is very good for a shakedown, SeaTow and Boat US are usually available as are many marinas and boat yards. Help is never far away

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 16:14   #45

Thnx all, for the advice and convo, been very interesting. We found a place in Demopolis Alabama that we think will work out, for under $300/mo. Glad we checked out this forum, was much faster than googling searches after search, lol. Wishing everyone safe passage and butter runs, lol

Tags
liveaboard