Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 07:41   #1

Sailing in a nutshell - Liveaboard, 1st boat, costs, super budget

Hi there - ive been doing alot of reading and strongly considering saving for a cheap boat in the next year..

I want to know if what im hoping for is possible / probable.. Lets assume i get a boat that isnt totally messed up - that might just need some rigging replaced / keel bolts torqued / greased - that kind of thing. Bear in mind I also rebuild engines..

So:
  1. buy a boat (5-10k) depending on a lucky find
  2. spend 3-4 months sailing / prepping/ /doing necessary repairs
  3. find the cheapest insurance (Statefarm)?
  4. stock up with food and fishing rods and beer
  5. with a semi realistic approach set sail
  6. spend 6-12 months island hopping caribbean

is this basically more or less it? i mean - in a very broad sense? im trying t keep it simple - cheap mooring? can i find a anchor spot / are there cheap / free places and are they common?

I want to live aboard obviously, with space for 2-3 more.. i wont be single handling - at lest one other sailor to help passaging.

I just dont have a ton of money - so hope this can be possible? Im kind of winging it yes - but dont have much of a choice! Im going to do it!

Any thoughts welcome!

Like what are the most common mistakes new sailors make? moving between islands, authorities, that kind of thing?

thanks!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:03   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Sailing in a nutshell - Liveaboard, 1st boat, costs, super budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
is this basically more or less it? i mean - in a very broad sense?
Yes. May also want to add "Cruising kitty" so you'll have money to eat, drink, pay fees and maintenance.

Quote:
Like what are the most common mistakes new sailors make?
Asking on forums if their plans are OK
Old 04-12-2015, 08:35   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Statefarm is unlikely to want to insure a liveaboard, cruising, old boat. Try, though - I know that part of our issue was that we wanted comprehensive because this is our only home.

Sailing is like life: you spend as much as you have. These folks hardly spent anything at all.

Obviously, their definition of space for 2-3 more might not be the same as yours. Which is why Lizzy Belle says that asking advice here is such a common mistake. we don't know what your current lifestyle is, we don't know if you know enough to make sure that your bargain boat is safe, or even what your standards of safety are!
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

What do you plan to insure? If you're looking for a cheap boat, then hull coverage may not be worthwhile and a better choice might be to accept the loss. Maybe you want some liability coverage,... what will you be protecting? Many are comfortable with a risk of financial loss. I keep liability only policy more for the protection of others and my ability to use marinas that require a liability policy.

Biggest mistakes? ....... 'maybe not taking on the responsibility of learning the mechanics, reading the service manuals and being the student. ..... or maybe it's the expectation that it will all be paradise.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:08   #5

Quote:
Hi there - ive been doing alot of reading and strongly considering saving for a......
Tough room, eh?

But they did answer what you asked.

"...doing alot of reading...: where? If on this forum, there are literally tons of posts pretty much like yours. Have you read them?

There are also a bunch on "liveaboard insurance" which you should read.

As noted, unless you tell us what your background is, other than your engine skills, we have no idea of your capabilities.

And, please be assured, that while the "go small, go now" vs. "wait until you know how to sail and know everything there is to know about sailing" schools of thought are the extremes, all of us are really concerned about your safety.

I would suggest that you go back and reread your original post. It's missing lots of info. I think that if you begin to fill us in with some more details we may be able to help more.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:39   #6

ok well thanks - yes im reading plenty of other threads on most topics - being such a wide field though..

for example - im confident to make my own standing rigging following good guides from very experienced sailors who have methods doable by oneself..

Im not picky, ive been backpacking through latin america camping, i certainly know how to be nomadic and budget - so very capable of shoe stringing the expenses.

I also do alot of fishing. by trade im a software developer / web programmer which generates income (i freelance).

I grew up on the oceans in south africa - and spent years fishing some rough waters - so ive been "acquainted" with mother nature so to speak - i have thousands of sea miles in that regard.

Im also healthy and fit. I also rock climb- and have been up and down a few masts to do some basic inspections. I can arc weld on top of that, do fibreglass work, plumbing. I built houses for 2 years from top to bottom just about.

I think given he lack of just general experience of many sailors I have quite a few advantages just ito of my wide range of skills - none of my friends have anything close - albeit "shadetree" - it counts for something.. im really not trying to come off braggish about it - it just is what it is..

SO - having said that, I just wanted a rough picture, the rest im sure will follow.

Oh - I also cook very well and have good organisational skills - so should be able to keep most things in order

I think all in all I would be able to learn alot of things alot quicker than many and gain a good grip on the ins and outs of it..

I have done some sailing in the puget sound (current at 4 kts!) and a small amount of day racing - nothing spectacular.. im sure a few small day trips with someone more experienced will put me close enough to tackle the crossing to the caribbean from florida..

theres some background now -
Old 04-12-2015, 09:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Hi there - ive been doing alot of reading and strongly considering saving for a cheap boat in the next year..

is this basically more or less it? i mean - in a very broad sense? im trying t keep it simple - cheap mooring? can i find a anchor spot / are there cheap / free places and are they common?

I want to live aboard obviously, with space for 2-3 more.. i wont be single handling - at lest one other sailor to help passaging.

I just dont have a ton of money - so hope this can be possible? Im kind of winging it yes - but dont have much of a choice! Im going to do it!

Any thoughts welcome!

Like what are the most common mistakes new sailors make? moving between islands, authorities, that kind of thing?

thanks!
The view from the Crabby shack is:
1. You will not save with a cheap boat. You will either put in lots of $$ or lots of time and learning. Sounds like you are choosing the later (which is not a bad thing btw) Learning to rebuild engines is good, you will need that. But in addition you will need how to rewire marine electrics and electronics. You will need to be a decent plummer. And you will need to become an excellent judge of what is seaworthy and what is not, with a good education of fiberglass and sailboat physics. And you will need to know your way around boatyards, marine second hand stores in order to get a few things to make your life easier (like a decent anchor and rode.)
2. buying a cheap boat- there are two types of cheap boats- those that are repairable and those that are not. You need to know the difference or you will never safely leave the harbor.
3. Plan on 3-4 years to prep and learn to sail...and that is probably pushing it unless you spend a lot of time on the boat. Be friendly and get to know other sailors (its free) They will take you out sailing.
4. My boat is minimally insured (liability) You are really on your own.
5. The rest of your questions could best be answered by experience. Noonsite is a good website to learn what to expect at the different islands, and well as asking people (in person) on the dock with people that have been there.
Cheap Quick Offshore...choose any two.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:57   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

There are many ways to do anything. Have a try let us know how it is going.

I think when one buys a cheap boat (cheap relative to size, not in gross terms) then one is likely to spend plenty of time fixing and zero time sailing. So my advice is to get the best boat you can within the size bracket you want.

Advice #2 is NEVER underestimate the sailing skills (requirement for) factor. A good sailor in a less perfect boat may sail a mile. A poor sailor in any boat is an accident waiting to happen. Make sure your sailing skills are there. Then go.

PS You do not have to bring wood to the forest. You can buy a boat in the West Indies and save time and money this way.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26   #9

tx guys - theres tons of information to learn the smaller stuff - and i didnt want to go that small, just general.. ive seen 12-15k boats sell for 5 because the engine had troubles, donation/charity boats - not every cheap boat is a sinking stone, but yes of course logic would agree to try develop an eye for signs - i have a pretty good eye, yes i can wire electronics and more.. ive been rebuilding engines for 15 years..

but thanks! yes ill consider insurance options when i actually have the boat - i plan to live aboard for a few months and sail it to acquaint myself with as much as possible before leaving port so to speak
Old 04-12-2015, 12:39   #10

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Check youtube also:

Wicked Salty - he goes thru what he spent on the boat, a little bit anyways. But not much else on food, provisions, fees..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR_...ZCu9c8kHBR7lGw

Not sure these guys go thru any finances:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk7...Zjv08gc6OdCXuw

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:59   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
...................... You do not have to bring wood to the forest. You can buy a boat in the West Indies and save time and money this way. ......
I think this is great advice. Hone your sailing skills on a small boat in your current location and then, with this ability and some cash in your pocket, shop in the islands.
Old 04-12-2015, 14:53   #12
cruiser

Boat: cal 29

Quote:

I want to know if what im hoping for is possible / probable.. Lets assume i get a boat that isnt totally messed up - that might just need some rigging replaced / keel bolts torqued / greased - that kind of thing. Bear in mind I also rebuild engines..

So:

Any thoughts welcome!

thanks!

Its what Ive been doing since 08 except I singlehand and dont bother with insurance. Spend a few years bouncing between the east coast and the Bahamas see if you like it
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
PS You do not have to bring wood to the forest. You can buy a boat in the West Indies and save time and money this way.
Cheers,
b.
I would much rather hunt for something in the US - much more equipment options, much more to choose from and much lower prices - id a quick comparison, US is the best place for used boats hands down..
Old 05-12-2015, 06:27   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
I would much rather hunt for something in the US - much more equipment options, much more to choose from and much lower prices - id a quick comparison, US is the best place for used boats hands down..
Not to take anything from your take, which I find 100% correct.

Just to cast an alternative light on the matter.

Say "Boat A". 10k in St Martin vs. 8k in Ft Lauderdale. Fine. What about the cost of moving one from Fl to Caribbean? Fuel? Food? Delivery? Repairs? Etc.

If you buy in the US (which is indeed a very good place to buy) and move to Caribbean to use the boat there, you must allow for a little extra to get the boat there.

Etc.

I think I too would buy locally (in the US). The problem buying in the Caribbean is travel expenses, if Boat A is a no&no at times the alternative is on another island, in another country!

Happy shopping & sailing,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33   #15

yeah - true, the difficult navigation of the Caribbean is an issue lol. I do have alot of time, I freelance and work from literally anywhere (doing web software development).. and part of sailing from Miami is part of the journey right? i dont see it as an expense or issue at all, considering the plethora of boats available in the US, plus parts - food, gear, etc - no go option anywhere else really imo.. even sth like scuba gear or cooking equipment - hundreds of small things too i can start stashing up on off CL, ebay, amazon and so forth.. im gonna be gone for no less than 9 months, maybe 4 years or even more

Tags
budget, liveaboard, sail, sailing