Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 15:51   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Substandard Housing

It’s like the guy who wants to stay in a marina that he has the biggest boat.
I don’t care how big or nice your boat is, there will be bigger, and nicer. I bet the ones with helicopter dinghies look down on the ones who only have four seat helicopters and not six seat, want to bet?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:56   #47

Carrying all your stuff on your back is called "backpacking". While that's a form of camping, it's a very specific form, and certainly doesn't represent most of it. Many people who have camped have never backpacked.

According to Wikipedia:

Camping is an outdoor activity involving overnight stays away from home in a shelter, such as a tent or a recreational vehicle.

Is living on a boat more akin to living in a recreational vehicle, or in a house? It may well depend on the boat.

I think a big part of the pushback on here is probably the use of the word "substandard", which I think was quite loaded, possibly misleading, and designed to spark discussion.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:01   #48

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Read an interesting phase the other day on some boating forum that the more i thought about the more i agreed with.

Unless you are underway or actively cruising, living on a boat is just living in substandard housing.

I know that here in Florida the State considers people living on a boat as being homeless.
I think this is possibly one of the most naive comments I've ever heard from a cruiser. I can tell you categorically that the vast majority of the world's population consider anything with beds, a gas stove and a flushing toilet to be the epitome of luxury. When we turn up in Vanuatu and have more cushions on our boat than an entire village, nobody is looking at our 36-foot monohull and thinking 'that's just sub-standard housing'.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:07   #49

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

It has become strikingly apparent that many here have never “camped”.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:14   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=DefinitelyMe;3071415]I think this is possibly one of the most naiveefic comments I've ever heard from a cruise.[/QUOTE

I definitely will now try to come up with more and be sure you get to read it.

Note, it really bugged you to read and respond now didn't it ;-)
Old 09-02-2020, 16:22   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
It has become strikingly apparent that many here have never “camped”.

Fair winds,

While I have backpacked the Appalachian trail as a kid with my parents.
It was really my Army time that I consider “camping” if by camping you mean deprivation.
Ever had to do your laundry in a Waterproof bag? Or “sleep” during the day in a desert in 120f temps?

My family airplane camped a few times which due to size and weight is similar to backpacking, but my Wife’s idea of camping was in our 36’ 5th wheel.
But to give her credit we lived as a family of four for about a year while we rebuilt our house from damage from a renter in the thing. She never complained, but she new it was temporary, and could see the end game, we set up right beside of the house. Knowing it is temporary, and seeing the end game makes all the difference.

We lived in a 14x66’ Mobile Home for a few years too, and those for me were good years, but as we go by nice Mobile Home parks on the ICW, I point them out and she gets moody. She doesn’t even want to consider moving back into a Mobile home, even though to me due to them being in large nice lots etc, they are way more appealing than Condo’s.

My Father and I built a lot of a Mobile Home park when I was a kid, this was during the 70’s, when almost no one could afford mortgage rates, anyway my Father told me that there is nothing wrong with living in a trailer, but it’s tough when you get old if you have to move back into one.

In other words it’s about expectations, the Woman with the Swan if she had to move back into a 5,000 sq ft house and do her own laundry, she would be devastated, depressed I’m sure, where the average Lady would be proud to move into the same house.

It’s separating needs and wants, and understanding the actual difference.
Many consider wants as needs and just couldn’t imagine life if they had to clean up after themselves, other have no desire to be catered to, some are even uncomfortable with it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:49   #52

Since it's Oscar's night, I'm going to point out that this conversation reminds me of one from "Little Women".

The March sisters are complaining about how they hate being poor. And then their mom comes home and suggests that they donate their breakfast to the folks up the road who are living in a one-room house, and who are REALLY poor in comparison to the Marches, and would likely have had nothing to eat at all without their donation.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:53   #53

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
...According to Wikipedia:

Camping is an outdoor activity involving overnight stays away from home in a shelter, such as a tent or a recreational vehicle.
Camping has nothing to do with a "recreational vehicle". At that point you are not camping. At best you are "glamping". Certainly not camping.
Old 09-02-2020, 17:13   #54

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Substandard Housing

I’m happy living aboard in my 1972 46’ boat. Luxury. I’m happy living aboard in my 1822 1400 square foot house. I’ll be happy living in our investment/ maybe retirement 860 square foot house next door. None of these are camping. In any sense. Puleeze.
I’ve slept in a nice down bag under a tarp tied to trees in the high desert in Utah winter in blizzards. Dinner over a fire. Food with me. That might have been camping. But actually luxe.
The other stuff?? Not remotely camping.
And no I’m not triggered. Just trying to educate.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 17:33   #55

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

I cried because I had no shoes; till I met a man who had no feet.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 17:40   #56
CLOD

Boat: none

By far!!!! My most boat camping experience was my time in the US Navy serving on a nuclear powered submarine. Except that meals were cooked for me back in those days NOTHING about living on my sailboat is worst.
Old 09-02-2020, 19:34   #57

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

;-)

Yes it's always like that, isn't it?

The size of a man's xyz is reverse proportional to the size of a man's xyz.
Replace xyz with appropriate words.

Ego or or bodily parts on one end, ship, car, house or else on the other end.

:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It’s like the guy who wants to stay in a marina that he has the biggest boat.
I don’t care how big or nice your boat is, there will be bigger, and nicer. I bet the ones with helicopter dinghies look down on the ones who only have four seat helicopters and not six seat, want to bet?
Old 09-02-2020, 19:46   #58

If you own a boat and have the time to use it, you're better off than most of the world's population. I know I am.

The thread's starting to remind me of this

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 19:49   #59
rbk

Boat: T37

Officially requesting a ‘stirring the pot’ emoji:

But under the premise that housing is a right, I should be able to request a government provided average sized housing accommodation in the form of a boat? No?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 20:11   #60

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Wonderful & classic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If you own a boat and have the time to use it, you're better off than most of the world's population. I know I am. [emoji2]

The thread's starting to remind me of this