Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 13:09   #31
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Substandard Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
The OP proposed that boats were substandard housing ....
I don't feel I proposed that really. Just said i read it and dont completey disagree.

My boat is pretty comfortable. But if not for cruising, the reason we are on it, i would get rid of it and get a house. Houses are a lot less touble to maintain and live on.
Old 09-02-2020, 13:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
To the OP, the North American pattern of owning homes of 2000 sq ft or more is not the global norm. In that light...maybe we're just spoiled, and a decent cruising boat is certainly smaller, but hardly substandard housing.
That's a pretty good point. The very idea that 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2500 sq ft are somehow needed for happy living... is an assumption based on fragile logic such as: that's what my neighbors think.
When I once down-sized houses from 4000 to 1000 sq ft due to a series of comical events, something surprising happened. My family became closer and happier and funnier and more musical. I had to re-evaluate everything I held to be true regarding such things. A little more down-sizing to 38 ft mono, but an upgrade in scenery was even better. When we can finally cruise full time, our evolution to higher living will be complete.
Curiously, our overall happiness seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of our indoor living space. I would never have believed this until actually doing it. Finally, "camping" in an RV is not truly camping for me, nor is living on a 30-something ft sailboat. Camping, to me, is in a tent with a fire. Indoor plumbing and electricity? Not camping.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 13:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
I agree that is individual dependent, but also time or Era dependent. 500 years ago most people lived in a one room feeling, even the children of the well to do slept in communal rooms.
Is funny that a week ago we were arguing on sailboats with yulohs. now is what makes a bot a home or not.
Try 100 years ago.

This idea that you need a lot of private space and that every individual gets their own room and bath is very recent in terms of human history.

Families often lived in one relatively moderate house with their kids and grandparents. Gasp.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:36   #34

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Actually, how about those who consider it camping, define what they mean with the word?

To me personally, it sounds very much like compromise. Which in many cases living on a boat is not. These days boats are often very much self sufficient. They generate their own power and freshwater and have all the amenities mentioned before.

If living on a boat would be camping, I would not like it.
Starts with missing my hot shower and ends with setting up a tent or cooker in the evening.
Camping for 2-3 weeks with a backpack or canoe is great, but for me personally only for 2-3weeks.
Living on a boat? Very much different, anytime I can. I feel more at home than on shore.
I lived already several times for extended periods onboard and it just feels right.

Guess there are people who love camping just as much. Great for them! Absolutely. But still, very much different to living on most boats these days.

The amount of creature comfort needed by an individual to draw the line between camping or living seems very much individual.
Which is just fine, as long everyone is happy what they do.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:39   #35

IMO, what's lost in this discussion is the quality vs. quantity. If you liveaboard and are surrounded by crystal clear waters, beautiful nature and plenty of pure fresh air how do you quantify it vs. living in a 5,000sf SF or Manhattan penthouse but steps away, in the street just outside, you are surrounded by exrement, bums, panhandlers, crazies, noisy traffic, etc.?

So in that situation a liveaboard would be correct in comparing living in those big cities as "living in a zoo" vs. boat-based "camping"
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 14:44   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Whether or not having my lifestyle described as camping might be offensive to me, reading the thread this far has left me with the thought that maybe "camping" is FUN. Maybe you get to see places and "animal" behavior by camping. Yes, camping is backpacking or tent camping, transportation by car, no RVs need apply.

I guess I'll be good to call myself a happy "camper", even though my boat is more like a huge RV, in that it has an engine, electric light, refrigeration (rather than an ice chest, or nothing at all as in motorcycle camping), double beds, hot showers; of those, we did have a sun shower, so sometimes had a hot shower while camping.

Anyhow, I think Ben Solomon's right: it's camping if that's how you choose to define it; calling my lifestyle camping is only pejorative if I think I am missing out on something I care about.

letsgetsailing3 is right, whole families used to live in one room. If you go far enough back, it was in one village, and they never left there.

Ann
Old 09-02-2020, 15:05   #37

Boat: sabre 28

Funny discussion, not sure why some are offended

I have always referred to any boat I've owned that we could sleep on as a floating camp or cabin. When asked about my boat I say it's like camping only better. I guess one would have had to spent many summers actually camping to understand/see the humor in it.
Old 09-02-2020, 15:13   #38

A standard is a quality by which something is judged, and sub can mean “under” like a submarine that goes under water. So things that are substandard fall below most people's standards — they're deficient in some way.

The Titanic was acclaimed to be superstandard, until it was proven to be substandard. Several of the wealthiest persons in the world perished on its first cruise. Certainly substandard as to adequacy of capacity of lifeboats and as to lacking flood proof bulkheads, double hull construction and rapid turning ability.

By some people's standards these are fine housings, by others not so fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14107763570_b9caa54a58_z.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	208383   Click image for larger version

Name:	e82b93ed95a97d80668f567106101937.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	208384  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rv-boat-20.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	208385  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:13   #39

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Funny discussion, not sure why some are offended

I have always referred to any boat I've owned that we could sleep on as a floating camp or cabin. When asked about my boat I say it's like camping only better. I guess one would have had to spent many summers actually camping to understand/see the humor in it.
Guess it's telling that I struck a nerve in a few when comparing the two.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 15:16   #40

Some people perceive camping to be staying at a fine motel that doesn't have room service. The accommodations may be spectacular but the service is lacking.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:05   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Group of cruising women, newly arrived in NZ, having come across from Mexico....They are discussing what they have missed from home. One says she missed peanut butter, another, her favorite shampoo; another, her preferred hand cream; another, non- greasy sunscreen; and so it went, until the woman from the Swan, whose husband often mentioned his net worth, about $135,000,000, piped up, "I miss my maids!"

A real show stopper, it was.

Ann
Old 09-02-2020, 16:11   #42

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Yes you probably did, and in a rather arrogant way unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Guess it's telling that I struck a nerve in a few when comparing the two.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:14   #43

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Group of cruising women, newly arrived in NZ, having come across from Mexico....They are discussing what they have missed from home. One says she missed peanut butter, another, her favorite shampoo; another, her preferred hand cream; another, non- greasy sunscreen; and so it went, until the woman from the Swan, whose husband often mentioned his net worth, about $135,000,000, piped up, "I miss my maids!"

Ann
That's priceless, can't make that stuff up🤣
misfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 16:44   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ah... another "I'm bored" thread. What the heck ... it's winter, and I am bored.

People who say living in a cruising level boat is the same as camping have obviously never camped. And by camping I mean carrying all you own on your back, or in a small canoe. Living out of a tent that you can barely sit up in. Cooking over a fire, filtering your water.

THAT is camping. It doesn't come close to how I live on my fairly modest, but still quite luxurious, cruising boat.

As to whether my floating home is "substandard" depends on what the "standard" is. My little home is no where near as fancy as many homes, floating or otherwise. But it is far more luxurious than some.

In the end, it's a silly question. But I understand ... Spring is still too far away.
Old 09-02-2020, 16:48   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

Just like the husband who had to drop his net worth every chance he got, that was her version of doing the same, it wasn’t that she missed them, it was she wanted everyone to know of their existence.

My Wife when we were much younger went out to eat with my Sister, My Sister in law and one or two of their friends, according to my Wife the main topic of conversation was complaining about their maids.
My Wife didn’t have anything to say cause of course Army Sgt’s Wives don’t have maids.
But it wasn’t really complaining, it was bragging “I have a maid”
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote