Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2023, 19:50   #151

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Starlink Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
The Asian continent includes all of SE Asia, India, Japan, Russia and the Middle East! The link to the map is https://api.starlink.com/public-file...ce_Regions.pdf
Thanks for this, Foxy! It looks like PNG (but not Indonesian Papua) is part of Oz, which I wasn't expecting.

OK, so there are only 7 regions showing:
  1. North America (including Greenland & the Caribbean),
  2. South America,
  3. Europe (which covers most, but not all, of the Med),
  4. Africa,
  5. Asia/Middle East,
  6. Antarctica(?), &
  7. Oz/NZ/PNG/Solomons.
But the map is very low-res, & doesn't really address the Pacific island nations at all, or places like St.Helena (UK) or Ascension Islands (administered by 3 nations, I think), which are right in the middle of the Atlantic.

Does Starlink create another region (continent) for the Pacific?
Or are they part of Oz/NZ/PNG/Solomons?
Or ???
Old 28-07-2023, 19:36   #152

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Thanks for this, Foxy! It looks like PNG (but not Indonesian Papua) is part of Oz, which I wasn't expecting.

OK, so there are only 7 regions showing:
  1. North America (including Greenland & the Caribbean),
  2. South America,
  3. Europe (which covers most, but not all, of the Med),
  4. Africa,
  5. Asia/Middle East,
  6. Antarctica(?), &
  7. Oz/NZ/PNG/Solomons.

But the map is very low-res, & doesn't really address the Pacific island nations at all, or places like St.Helena (UK) or Ascension Islands (administered by 3 nations, I think), which are right in the middle of the Atlantic.

Does Starlink create another region (continent) for the Pacific?

Or are they part of Oz/NZ/PNG/Solomons?

Or ???

I believe that the South Pacific islands are part of the Oz/NZ region. Someone cruising in FP or wherever should be able to confirm.

In our case, we’ll keep our Australian-address when we depart for Indonesia, then switch our address to a relative’s place in Thailand. Hopefully that will enable us to keep the cheaper regional plan.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 19:41   #153

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

as regards french polynesia : starlink subscription is not available here = no ground stations so i believe that they treat the whole area is open ocean ie disregard the islands

of course does not stop it working, as this post shows...

cheers,
Old 29-07-2023, 02:14   #154

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
as regards french polynesia : starlink subscription is not available here = no ground stations so i believe that they treat the whole area is open ocean ie disregard the islands

of course does not stop it working, as this post shows...

cheers,

All the South Pacific islands except New Caledonia show “coming in 2024”. Pitcairn and Easter Islands show land cells, which are probably associated with the South American region.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 13:15   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Still too nervous to drill into the dish to disconnect the motors.
Best upgrade I ever did to my Starlink. I fiberglassed over the hole after disconnecting the motor power connector. It's been a year, no issues but it works much better now at acquiring and especially holding a connection after turning, or in rough weather.

The plastic is surprisingly soft so just be careful you are using as little pressure as possible when drilling the hole or you could push through and damage something. I used a 1" hole saw bit.
apexio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 13:24   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Ween, all cruisers are a bit concerned that the Terms of Service (ToS) say that the normal Dishy isn't supposed to be used "in-motion". And Starlink defines ANY use on a boat as "in-motion" even if you're just at a marina.

This is an area of the ToS that Starlink has chosen not to enforce, except to say that your Dishy is no longer under warrantee. MANY boats use the normal Dishy with no problems.

And yes, Dishy draws about 50W, or ~4A@12v, while the HP antenna draws about twice that much, & that's an issue for most cruising boats. FWIW, we've just invested in the normal Dishy, & will be putting it on our boat when we get back to it.
In Motion use is specifically "over 10mph". So unless you are sailing >9kts it's not a problem.

Definitely convert Starlink to 12v and use a 12v router. It cuts power draw almost in half.
apexio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 02:22   #157

going back to the topic of cost. I see starlink will be doing something with T mobil in the future. But I wonder for the time been and making my plans to cruise thru Bahamas. The new T mobil houses 5g box for $50.00 a month could be an option. now if there is no T mobil towers I can buy a sim card in Bahamas and cover this trip cheap. eventually I will be in an area covered by t mobil.

And if in the future the test starlink is doing with t mobil works I will have extra coverage.

What yo guys think about this I am right or wrong. thanks
Chuck Peterson
the Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2024, 05:19   #158

Boat: Lagoon 380

We have Google Fi that rides on T-Mobile. This year it is better than it has ever been which makes it spotty. If you need it for more than casual I wouldn't count on it and it really depends on where you are. At least it is better than a few years ago now that Starlink is common here. Just two years ago if you could see a tower you couldn't get on since it was overwhelmed. If you couldn't see a tower you couldn't get on because there was no tower.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet