Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2023, 14:00   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Cushion Foam

I have replaced the foam in my settee cushions a few times the last 6 years. As a full timer they take a beating and are right up there with a good mattress far as the comfort to money high payback.

I have gotten high density foam both times, but wonder if there is something better. Anyone have cushion foam success stories?
Old 12-05-2023, 15:19   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Cushion Foam

We use 4" closed cell foam for settees in the saloon and have replaced them twice in 23 years. But for the bunk where we sleep, we have 6" latex rubber has lasted 23 years and is still as comfortable as ever. Amazing stuff. Really heavy. No idea where to source it, we had ours custom made by a boat cushion maker in Seattle.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 15:43   #3

Boat: Constellation49

Here is a source for natural lates rubber mattresses. Can’t verify the durability but likely what we will use when we are in the market.

https://www.whitelotushome.com/beddi...bber-tree.html
Constellation49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 16:13   #4
CLOD

Have a 14" memory foam mattress. Am looking for better foam for the settee cushions.
Old 12-05-2023, 21:08   #5

Boat: Bristol 29.9

I emailed Sailrite and described how we use our settees (full-time cruising, occasionally sleeping on them) and they suggested a few different options depending on how firm we wanted it. You may want to send them an email and see what they suggest. We decided on 4” high density and have been very pleased.
Old 13-05-2023, 03:33   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Latex is supposed to last a long time. You could buy a 6" mattress - or a couple of 2inch toppers if you wanted less height - and just cut it to fit.

I bought from this place

https://www.foambymail.com/
Old 13-05-2023, 06:49   #7
CLOD

not much response, maybe few boaters here ever replace their cushion foam
Old 13-05-2023, 07:11   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
not much response, maybe few boaters here ever replace their cushion foam
I'm ready to replace my settee cushion foam... just waiting for some good advice on this thread!
Bellinghamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2023, 07:35   #9
CLOD

while we wait I will post a hint for those those have never tried to get the foam back into the cushion cover:

Wrapping the foam in some thin plastic allows you to push/slide it into the cover a LOT easier
Old 16-05-2023, 13:37   #10
CLOD

well................................... google is my friend sometimes
Old 16-05-2023, 13:58   #11

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'
Cushion Foam

4” firm latex, Dacron wrapped with sunbrella covers.

https://www.foamorder.com/custom-cus.../boat-cushions

For the V-Berth I added a 2” memory foam topper from Amazon. DIY cut to fit.

Dri-Dek panels underneath.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 05:08   #12

Boat: beneteau OC 352

good morning everyone.. we're replacing all of our cushions.. i've been monoriting this thread .. we're going with 2" dryfast for the cockpitmy question is .. what is the standard for the back cushions in the saloon? we decided to go with 4" HD foam for the seating. we're thinking 3" for the back but would like to hear what everyone else has

thanks for the input
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 18:23   #13

Has anyone made ghettofabulous cockpit cushions? DIY mattress topper or similar and regular old cheap fabric? I ask because anytime 'marine' or 'boat' is attached to a product, it's price increases exponentially and I'm a cheapskate when it's not hardware related.

I don't imagine it'll hold up for years, but how bad is it really? Is non marine foam just worthless when it gets wet?
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 19:42   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
Has anyone made ghettofabulous cockpit cushions? DIY mattress topper or similar and regular old cheap fabric? I ask because anytime 'marine' or 'boat' is attached to a product, it's price increases exponentially and I'm a cheapskate when it's not hardware related.

I don't imagine it'll hold up for years, but how bad is it really? Is non marine foam just worthless when it gets wet?
It's not about marine vs. non marine. Open cell foam is like a sponge and soaks up moisture. The salt dissolved in the sea air gets in through the covers, and then hygroscops, is absorbed into the foam, and it will stay damp. Closed cell foam is not open to moisture. Any decent foam shop will be able to offer you different things for settees and mattresses. We've always used open cell foams below decks, and only firm polyester, given the cost of latex here in Oz. We do by commercial grades when available. The problem is that the fire retardants that are required here diminish the longevity of the foam, and they are mandated by law--you can't choose to not have it.

Our seat backs have ranged from 2/1/2" to 1-1/2" thick. No appreciable difference in comfort for me.

@ SB1: There may be something better than high density, but I personally am not aware of it. Sorry.

Ann
Old 05-07-2023, 19:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It's not about marine vs. non marine. Open cell foam is like a sponge and soaks up moisture. The salt dissolved in the sea air gets in through the covers, and then hygroscops, is absorbed into the foam, and it will stay damp. Closed cell foam is not open to moisture.
Makes sense and now that you mention it, I think I read something about that somewhere but it wasn't important at the time so i deleted it.

Thanks.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote